Hurricane Boat Prep

FunFlatsFishing

Hook it up and haul tail if you can.

Most damage comes from falling debris in the way of trees and other structures. If at ground zero for a storm like this one your trailer needs to be secured to some anchors like those screw in ones used for mobile homes. Anything over Cat 2 winds a non anchored boat on a trailer will most likely make tire changes really easy.

I have heard the trick of filling the boat with water to a certain degree. Nope, bad idea as it then it is a sunk boat on land and if it really fills up it will collapse the trailer axles.

I would remove all covers and any unnecessary gear from the boat such as coolers and tackle. Leave life jackets and safety gear.  A soft t top and grave projections I would remove the canvas cover. Pull as close to house where trees are unlikely to fall. Realize that as the  storm moves north the strongest winds will be on the east side as you add the wind speed and the forward progress speed. The west side you subtract the forward speed from the wind speed.

if it really looks bad take it with you.

12 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

Hook it up and haul tail if you can.

Most damage comes from falling debris in the way of trees and other structures. If at ground zero for a storm like this one your trailer needs to be secured to some anchors like those screw in ones used for mobile homes. Anything over Cat 2 winds a non anchored boat on a trailer will most likely make tire changes really easy.

I have heard the trick of filling the boat with water to a certain degree. Nope, bad idea as it then it is a sunk boat on land and if it really fills up it will collapse the trailer axles.

I may fill the livewell up but will keep the plug out of the boat (plus I have two bilge pumps on float switches). Also will lower the jack as much as I can while still allowing the boat to drain out the stern to limit the wind's ability to get under the boat. 

Archived