Keel Guard on MA17

Wanaflatsfish

54 minutes ago, RobVan said:

Just a thought - I had the same problem on my 22 when I would load on a steep ramp. I added a couple of rollers on the front cross beams and that seemed to keep the aluminum and fiberglass from intimate encounters...

I am looking at this as well...it's about $400 for the hardware and install....I'm looking for a cheap solution I guess..

dc

18 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

My trailer is not the best for loading and I keep pinging the keel.

Rather than change out the trailer..I'm thinking I get a keel guard...

any comments (yes/no) and pictures of installs.

dc

Maybe have the keel sprayed with LINEX, but the real answer is fix the trailer.  I had similar problem with my original trailer and had 2 more bunks added.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:20 PM, bigsnook35 said:

You know the old saying. You can do it cheap or you can do it right. You will end up doing it right eventually and then it definitely won't be cheap. As much as you use your boat $400 isn't bad at all. 

After this hurricane....probably won't even have my skiff.....

Uggggh......

DC

• 3 weeks later...

A roller on the front crossbeam is definitely the answer.  I originally had one on my Magic Tilt trailer but had it taken off when I had two front bunks installed to better help with loading and unloading but I was still having problems.  The boat was putting too much weight on the front bunks so we decided to just re-position them to only act as guides - not as weight supporting - and replace the roller.  So, with the combination of the front bunks plus putting the roller back on, problem solved.  Years of keel damage was finally over.

(Sorry about the image being rotated to the left but this forum will not let me insert it correctly!  ERRRRRRR!

IMG_3325.thumb.JPG.904e558dc89cb61f70e4ae4988b4d136.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Gonna try this on my MA18----- There is a company called RSPro ( rail saver pro)-- I have no affiliation. It is a product used for SUP paddle boards that absorbs shock and protects the rail of the board from the carbon blade / paddle. and is thin protective, clear and adhesive--- but removable. It is basically helicopter blade tape made by 3m. I don't know if it can handle being bent in a deep angle , but gonna try it. Could be an excellent alternative.  

Archived