New EPA fuel system. Fueling takes forever.

Tall Tails

Following other forums I see many guys with new boats complaining about the difficulties of fueling their boats due to these new EPA mandated filter systems. I too am having a heck of a time pumping gas into my 2500. My dealer did some kind of pressurization to the system and it is a "Little" better. Still, I have to trickle the fuel from the pump soooo slow that it's a chore. Any other new Pathy owners finding this to be an issue? I've tried every direction of aligning the nozzle, starting slow then speeding up, etc. I can't even get the pump handle to the first hold open latch. On average its taking me about 15 mins to put 30-40 gallons into the tank. This seems excessive. It's also rather labor intensive as I have to constantly adjust the flow from the pump. Just a hair too fast and it comes up the fill tube and kicks the flow off. Again and again..

I have a 2015 23hps It takes fuel up to 53 gal and starts crawling.  That last 9 gal takes 10 min plus.  I was going to remove it but I can't see or touch it through the plate.???  I just consider that I only have a 53 gal tank.  If I do try to fill all the way I end up spilling a bunch of fuel and EPA was worried about some vapors.  I've been meaning to try running a 3/8" hose down the fill tube just to the top of the tank to see if it works. 

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, Tall Tails said:

So far as I can tell.....it's not accessible once the hull and cap are mated. 

Look inside the port side rod locker. There should be a pie-hole access on the wall nearest to the gas cap. You can access everything from that pie-hole.

Sorry, just realized you have a 25 and not a 23. Well then, you might have to install a 6" pie-hole in your rod locker for access to the fuel line and associated apparatus.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

Its going back to the dealer this Friday. I love the boat. I keep my boats for a long time. I do not enjoy spending 30 plus minutes putting gas in it. This has to be improved as it is a really big thorn in my side right now. 

I would have the service tech at the dealership check to make sure there is no dip or sag in the overboard vent hose line, as well as the main fill hose.  Also, if the in-line carbon canister (on vent hose) is not mounted high enough above the top height of the fuel tank, it has probably been flooded with fuel and ventilation is blocked, hence "the problem".  That canister takes a very long time to dry out once it gets saturated with fuel.  If they find that it's flooded, and you have easy access to it - when you get the boat back home, remove the canister from the vent line.  There is extra slack in the line from the factory installation :) so that you can splice the two ends of the hose with a 5/8" brass hose coupling where the canister was.  This is to keep it safe and usable while you are drying out the canister.  Then take the canister out into your backyard somewhere in the sunshine, and leave it there for 3 years, making sure it is completely dried out.  ;)  Then you can re-install it if you want to.  In the meantime, when you run your motor, you may notice an increase in power, hole-shot and top speed because the fuel system breathes better.  Just some advice - don't do anything that you are not comfortable with.  Be careful!!  Do the work in a well ventilated area!  No sparks, of course!

Interestingly enough the tech at the dealer tells me that there is no carbon canister filter on the 2500's. He pressurized the fuel line from the fill and had air come out the vent, then did it the opposite way with good flow that way as well. He then followed me to the gas station where we found that the issue persists. He and I discussed possibilities causing this. He feels that there might be a restriction inside the fuel fill hose. It will go back again next week and the entire fill hose will be replaced. It could also be that there is a sag in the fill line allowing fuel to back up to the gas nozzle and shut it off. The tech did not think this was the issue in this case though. Whatever it is....it needs to be resolved.  If I did have the canister I would have no issues pulling it off and burying it deep in the back yard. 

Have your tech look for the canister on the Port side under the battery compartment.

There is a removable deckplate under the batteries allows access to bilge to install transducer.

Pretty sure I remember seeing the canister and vent hose down there on port side.

General, my 03 would do that. I got really, really good at knowing about how much fuel she would take by tracking mileage on the gps. I also listened closely at the vent. There is a tell tale noise before it volcano's out the fill spout. I rarely had a spill after learning those tricks.

A brief update on my boat. It's at the dealer. The company that manufactured the fuel tank has been in touch with them and has given them several different things to do to improve the fueling. A big thanks to Skip and Ray at Maverick for answering my numerous questions and e-mails over the last few days. Once I get it back it will be resolved. 

On 10/26/2017 at 12:59 PM, General disarray said:

While we are on this subject. I have an 03 is it normal for the fuel to shoot out the vent when full? I get no click at the pump before it launches out the side. 

Yes it will do that. While filling it listen for the hissing to get louder, it's about full then. 

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:22 PM, Tall Tails said:

Interestingly enough the tech at the dealer tells me that there is no carbon canister filter on the 2500's. He pressurized the fuel line from the fill and had air come out the vent, then did it the opposite way with good flow that way as well. He then followed me to the gas station where we found that the issue persists. He and I discussed possibilities causing this. He feels that there might be a restriction inside the fuel fill hose. It will go back again next week and the entire fill hose will be replaced. It could also be that there is a sag in the fill line allowing fuel to back up to the gas nozzle and shut it off. The tech did not think this was the issue in this case though. Whatever it is....it needs to be resolved.  If I did have the canister I would have no issues pulling it off and burying it deep in the back yard. 

If the fuel tank on that boat is aluminum (I can't recall?) it will have internal grade valves, these valves regulate the flow by pressure inside the tank, as the tank fills it vents to the valve that is at the highest point, IF that valve is faulty there is nothing that can be done to change it.  (the tank has a valve on each end and a center FLV that they are attached to internally, the external hoses running from the FLV are your vent and feed lines.  It's going to sound stupid but if you lower the bow of the boat as low as possible and then try to fill the tank you'll confirm that its an internal issue, if it doesn't then you probably have a collapsed fuel fill hose)  Same will go for a crosslink tank but those fittings will be surface mounted okay ?

Visited my dealer yesterday and picked up the boat. The conclusion to the story seems to be that the vent wasn't venting. Or to be more precise, wasn't venting enough. The thought is that when the tank was built and the vent was welded in place some of the hole was covered by the weld. An additional vent was created and the hose from that has been routed into the existing vent line before the carbon filter. The dealer took the boat to a gas station and reports that the tank will now accept fuel as fast as I care to put it in. The tank manufacturer has supplied the parts that make the new vent so I would have to assume they know this is an issue sometimes. Regardless, it seems to be functioning as it should now. Time to go fishing and stop going back and forth for repairs.

Dave C. Yes, it is an aluminum tank.

Archived