1992 Redfisher Lappy - maybe

johnd

I may regret this, but thinking about selling the Lappy.  Basics: Suzuki 140 (about 550 hours, recent service, all records), Talon, IPilot 24volt, Garmin Sv (7 or 9.. I don't recall), covered in Sea Dek, battery chargers, 2 AGMs (1 year old), 2 cheap starting batteries, (maybe the Carbon pole or I might keep), alum trailer with NEW torsion axle (3500 lbs).. offset helm gives bigger dance floor.  Grayish gel coat is really worn and faded.  Caught a really nice top of the slot Redfish this morning.. I use this boat, it does not sit in a garage or get waxed every month.  Its a fishing boat and a really good one.   OK... if I put this on the market is it a crazy $18 or $15 or nearer to $12 boat.    (BTW - the SeaDek doesn't look this nice anymore.. had a lot of fish slime, hooks, etc)

not sure I want to push the publish button..... 

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Hmm - not sure what to do with this one, but I'll take a crack.

1) Start with NADA as a general reference point.  If NADA says "$10K" (made that number up), then unless the boat has been completely redone, you are probably going to be asking +/- 5K on it depending on actual condition.  You won't likely see 20K.   So basically a wide range, but NADA will put you in the right zip code.

2)  Generally speaking, the biggest impact to price will be engine (age/condition/hours/2 stroke vs. 4 stroke), how much structural refurbing, if any, has been done (gas tanks replaced, rewires, etc)   and to a lesser degree, accessories (big stuff, power pole, GPS TM, high end electronics).

3) Consider the condition of the boat given its age.   Is it eye candy or is it average? Are there any structural issues?   Mechanical issues? Is it truly turn key and reliable or is it turn-key-right-now-but-no-guarantees-about-next-trip?  What's going on with the gel coat? Gel coat fading can be buffed out and with a little elbow grease, it's worth doing before you sell.  Gel coat gouges have to be fixed and that color is tough to match - unless you are an expert, leave those for the buyer but understand it will impact your price depending on severity.  Gas tanks have a life span, if its been replaced recently, you are in good shape, if not, at least have the tank pumped, cleaned, and inspected - it will come up with a savvy buyer. 

I can tell you are on the fence about selling it, so I'll leave you with these hard realities to consider:

- You will not likely make money on this boat.  

- You will not be able to replace it for what you sell it for.  

- You will get less for it than you hope.

- The longer it is on the market, the more you will move from "Maybe it will sell but who cares" to "I can't wait to get rid of this thing, somebody just make a friggin' offer"

Mike. Purchased motor new Aug 2011. dF 140 is 4 stroke.  TM & Talon 2012.  Regular service on all with receipts  When I bought spent lot of time with on the phone with Funcky Monkey (highly recommend) to prop her.  No speed demon, but I can put on plane in a boat length in skinny water.

which way:  thx.  I do not expect to get my cost. For example paid $936 to remove, heighten, rebuild poling platform.  Who cares..the fun I have standing up high and pushing a buddy to a fish I spot is my recreation and worth a grand (or more to me).  I run shallow so often replace impeller, often don't need to, but the confidence I  have in my engine is worth the cost.  I ran lots of numbers in business, but not on boats.  My fishing time is invaluable to me.  So yeah, the boat will sell only for what the market says.    

Emotionally there's something special about owning a Lappy, but I'm under no false impression the market decides "value"  guess what I was/am asking is if I sell, where's the ballpark area I should ask.   Btw  I told the guy who owns the non-MBC product I looking at that my toughest decision is not to buy his boat, it's to sell my Lappy.  Undecided. 

History: in 1999 I was fired from my job (3 month notice)  working with my salesguy in south Fl he finds out & says let's go see Scott..maybe he has a job for you.  So we arrive at MBC unannounced and Scott gives me a personal tour of the factory.  I'm blown away about the attention to detail, quality, professionals in the factory.  I never forgot his hospitality.  Few years later my kids are grown, get rid of family boat, and I found an old Hewes..dream come true. So I bought & have fished her regularly ever since.    She sits on my lift and if it's not too windy in the morning i will watch the sunrise tossing topwater, then paddletails..it is the first day of Snook season here.  Then back to dock and day goes wherever it goes.  

Tough decision John for sure! My Pathy is gone and at times  we miss her but if your lappy needs a home locally ,I'm on the hunt trying not to break the bank, as we just purchased a new homestead, but we are on the hunt to replace the Pathy and your boat is in the category we are hunting! It will for sure be another MBC product, as my bride and I cut our flats teeth on an 18" Lappy back before the youngsters arrived and as we all know, happy wife, happy life!

Jim

13 hours ago, johnd said:

which way:  thx.  I do not expect to get my cost. For example paid $936 to remove, heighten, rebuild poling platform.  Who cares..the fun I have standing up high and pushing a buddy to a fish I spot is my recreation and worth a grand (or more to me).  I run shallow so often replace impeller, often don't need to, but the confidence I  have in my engine is worth the cost.  I ran lots of numbers in business, but not on boats.  My fishing time is invaluable to me.  So yeah, the boat will sell only for what the market says.    

John, great story and you sound like me.  I absolutely love to fish for Reds back in the marsh, but getting up on that platform and poling my kids around and "playing guide" is almost better.   Sounds like you clearly have things in perspective and it's not a money driven struggle but an emotional one.

A great boat will do that to you.  Just do us all a favor and sell it to someone who will see more than fiberglass and gel coat when they look at her.  

Good luck with your decision, hope you stick around on the forum

• 1 month later...

A used boat is worth what a person is willing to pay for it. You are going to think your boat is worth more 

than most people are willing to pay for it. It only takes one person who likes your boat and is willing to pay 

the price you are asking or will make an offer. Your boat is 25 years old, but looks like its in good shape for that old of a boat.

Archived