2500 hybrid prop trials

I've put 20 hrs on her and so far I think we over-propped it. No T-top, Yamaha 300. 2 power poles on the back and a trolling motor on the bow. From the dealer it came with PT OFX 4 blade 20 pitch. Couldn't get more than 5300 RPMs. Speed was about the same at 52-53. Put an OFX 17 on yesterday. Will see what this does. My gut tells me we are now under propped. Next up will be a 3 blade 20 pitch. This boat should run right near 60 WOT. Still tinkering....

The 17 pitch 4 blade OFX wasn't enough prop. I got lots of RPMs but no speed. 50 max. Straight back to my dealer this morning after the 10 minute test run. I left there with 3 props. OFX 21 3 blade, OFX 19 3 blade and OFS 20 3 blade. He did not have any OFX 4 blades in 18 or 19 to try. Not sure either of those would have made a heck of a lot of difference anyways since I've already ran a 20 and 17 of that type. 

I have the 21 OFX 3 blade on there now. Will either try it later today or tomorrow for sure. Over the weekend I will have tried all 3. Report to follow. 

On 8/31/2017 at 1:52 PM, HoneyB said:

I would venture outside of power tech for a prop.. I personally think Mercury makes the best props for all applications.. If you want to go fast no one else has done it much better than mercury. 

Trying to work it out through the dealer. Trialing what he has available at this time. Primarily that is Power-tech. I will be up there next week scrounging around in his prop room. Maybe I can find something else. 

ofx4 is great for hole shot and a stern lifter. IMO u need an overall lift/ more bow and not really stern lifting for the stepped hull. How high are you running on the JP? I've run the following props on my contender 25 bay w 300 yammie

4 blades

turbo 2+2 OT: 13.75x22 pitch 5.4k rpm (couldn't spin high enough)

merc rev 4: 14.625x19   56mph 6krpm

merc rev 4: 14.625x20 56mph 5.8k rpm

merc bravo 1 fs: 15.25x21 57/58. went with 22 bc of better cruise mpg and speed

merc bravo 1 fs: 15.25x22 5.7/5.8k rpm 2nd fastest prop 57/58

3 blades

suzuki 16x18.5  5.4krpm (couldnt spin high enough, hated the JP)

yamaha reliance:  13.75x21 (boat came with this prop.. and absolute wet noodle) terrible

merc eco: 16x19 best mpg, decent top speed 56/57 same w rpm

merc tempest plus/quicksilver torrent: 14.625x21: best top speed 58/59ish, 5.7-5.8k rpm

i ended up keeping the ECO in 19 pitch and the 22 pitch bravo 1 FS

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up with the PT OFS 3 blade 20 pitch. I can turn 58-5900 RPMs and get about the same on the GPS in MPH. This is with the jack plate around 2" up and the motor trimmed out to 4 bars or so. 

I liked the lift of the 4 blade props but the top end just sucked. As long as I make sure the JP is down and the motor is trimmed down the bow rise isn't bad. If I take the time to drop the trim tabs she pops up pretty good. 

• 4 months later...

I have been pretty happy with the performance other than the torque steer of the OFX4 19p.  After reading your thread it appears I am not going to get much more out of this rig with the 300. My rpm and mph match at 5700/57 mph. 2” on plate and four bars of trim. I do have the hard top as well. I was looking at re proppping with a Merc prop.

Nizpro will be the answer when the warranty expires on the engine or Yamaha and Nizpro hook up and work together to keep warranty.

Archived