Battling Humidty in Florida-Help

lurem

2 hours ago, lurem said:

About the only thing you can do is ventilate with some type of fan. I deal with the same issue as my boat is in a car port of sorts. Lots of shade around it to boot.. The other thing that was mentioned any salt mist ingested through the cowling will act as a sponge. The atomized salt will act as a sponge to hold moisture.

What Capt Troy said about the atomized salt.

I was in a car accident a few years ago and my boat was laid-up in my driveway under a cover for about 3 months in the south FL humidity. Although I didn't find any moisture under my motor cowling, I found mold spores starting to develop on the non skid after a month. Then my friend told me to let a small fan run on low to circulate air under the cover and that problem never happened again. That same friend lets a box fan run 24/7 to circulate air in his carport to avoid moisture issues on his skiff and it seems to work.

Ditto what Conocean said.  Moving the air around goes a long way in drying things out.  I keep my boat in the garage, but I can back the boat in soaking wet after washing it, run a cheap Hampton Bay high-velocity fan (from Lowes or HomeD) with all the hatches propped open, and it is completely dry in a few hours.  However, I don't have to deal with salt deposits.  We have plenty of humidity in Upstate South Carolina, but no salt water - just clear, high-country lakes.

21 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

About the only thing you can do is ventilate with some type of fan. I deal with the same issue as my boat is in a car port of sorts. Lots of shade around it to boot.. The other thing that was mentioned any salt mist ingested through the cowling will act as a sponge. The atomized salt will act as a sponge to hold moisture.

Troy,

Do you have any fans (Floor or ceiling) that you use in your carport to help with removing humidity? What works for you?

How about salt deposits? What secrets can you divulge?

23 hours ago, lurem said:

Troy,

Do you have any fans (Floor or ceiling) that you use in your carport to help with removing humidity? What works for you?

How about salt deposits? What secrets can you divulge?

Bleach.^_^

Nothing really works. I have a stand fan that I will put out by the boat to help it dry after washing. But all you need is the right ambient conditions and it right back to the mushroom farm. This last round of rain and the big boat has mildew all over it. Dew points were so high the Rampage was staying wet until 2 pm.

Seems all I do is wash boats whether I'm using them or not.

Not gonna work for very long..
There is only one way to do it and it is expensive.

It will require you to put your boat in a conditioned space.

All other remedies for our climate are snake oil.

You can keep the sun off and it's effects. You can not stop the moisture issue with any trick other than storing your boat in a controlled environment.

Haven't tried it yet  I have these 2 lb bags of desiccarte  used in aviation equiptment storage . They throw them away at work . I use them in gun cabinet And in tackle box And dry box I store GPS unit . I reactive in oven. ,  " Crazy thought "  What about a very small single elect  Light bulb that can hang inside cowling and removed when not needed. I know stupid ideal ' but more I drink  the more I think out side the box!!!

On 9/1/2017 at 6:17 PM, Capt. Troy said:

Dale, will be curious to know how it works for you.

I see some potential for it in a sealed space but the cowling is always breathing. Another factor is a you remove moisture from the area vapor pressure will attract more moisture from outside. Just like temps going from hot to cold.

So, defiantly leave the cowling closed.

Archived