Coastal Texas

hurricane

After just going through our house flooding from Matthew last year, I am pretty well versed in the drying out, rebuilding and insurance "game". I'd be glad to give anyone any advice I can give you. 

The people in the path of this storm are about to have their lives turned inside and out like they can't imagine...God bless

Our home in Rockport survived the Cat 4 punch in the mouth, but now it looks like our home in Houston (190 miles away) will flood from the same storm. This is one really bad dude. I am safe and dry for now at a friend's house in Houston, but we have at least one more full day of rain, and maybe more. 

Pretty sure my lovely Pathfinder is gone in Rockport. She was in a big drystack facility that is about 75% damaged. If you've seeen any of the videos of Rockport, you've probably seen the still standing but crippled and unclad shell of the buildings with some boats still up in the racks.  I'm guessing it will be weeks before we really know as they start to sort out the tangled mess. 

Imwould hate to lose her, but there are so many bigger priorities for everyone in Rockport and Houston now. I feel so sad for my Rockport resident friends who have no homes, power, water, schools, etc. 

@Bruce J sorry to hear. We flooded in Matthew and I am just now wrapping small stuff up.  I couldn't imagine having two to deal with.

We got back in 6 weeks and 2 days after storm with the help of a lot of great friends. We did most of it "ourselves" so I  feel like I'm pretty well versed in the remediation, insurance and rebuilding.  If you need ANY advice please reach out to me, I will be glad to help you or any of our members with any advice I can give. 

Here is a guy in a Maverick rescuing some ladies and their pets.  

I would love to go down there and help.  Have considered volunteering with Operation BBQ Relief. Pretty good group that feeds the citizens and the volunteers & First Responders.  I think they have mobilized but have not posted a permanent command center.  

While doing clean up on my house in Rockport, I took a trip over to the mangled drystack at Cove Harbor where my beautiful Pathfinder is lost somewhere in the rubble.  

But wait!

I used my binoculars to scan the wreckage from about a quarter mile away, which was as close as I could get.  Amazingly, I found my baby, still sitting in her rack on the highest shelf in the place! From the parts of her I could see, it is possible she doesn't even have any damage, which would be just crazy. 

The pic shows roughly where I found her  

The next questions are how and when and even if they can somehow extricate her from a severely damaged building. It will be a fascinating to see how they do this, but at least I have a chance of getting her back in one piece. 

One step at a time!

You_Doodle_2017-09-02T21_33_07Z.jpg

My house in Rockport took a harder hit than I first thought. There was almost no exterior damage, but rain driven by a 130mph wind will find a way to get inside. Our floors and baseboards are toast and we have numerous smaller sheetrock issues. All fixable stuff but it will take a lot of time with so much damage in the area and relatively few craftsmen.   Sort of the same repair work required in Houston, but because of flood not wind. I am testing all of my insurance policies!  All a minor inconvenience compared to those who are really suffering in Rockport, Houuston, Beaumont and Louisiana. 

Somehow my HPXT survived with no damage in the garage of my house in Rockport. Unfortunately the rest of the house was not so lucky. The front porch blew off, leaving a six inch gap down the living room wall that allowed a lot of rainwater in the house. All the laminate flooring throughout the house is buckled and much of the drywall is already turning interesting shades of blue, green and black. The living room wall also is significantly bowed out but surprisingly did not break any of the large windows that line the wall.

The power lines were ripped from most of the houses, including mine, and many of the poles and lines are down so expect it will be sometime before service is restored and we can start drying out. Water service has already been restored although it is limited to daylight hours as they work on repairing all of the system breaches.

It was interesting to note that the brunt of the hurricane hit us from the north as we were just south of the eye. The water level never rose above the dock so no flooding in the area due to tidal surge.

We rode out the storm in our home in Houston and were very fortunate that we had no flooding in our neighborhood.

The Rockport house is a second home so no concerns with making it liveable right away. There are a number of permanent residents in our RP neighborhood that have much more damage and have lost most everything. Our hearts go out to them and we will help anyway we can.

Sorry to hear that your RP home got that much damage, but you sure have the right attitude. That's also great news that your Houston home stayed dry. I'm sure if our little garage-bound HPXT's got together for a beer, they would have some great stories about how they rode out the storm!

Prayers for all of our Bahamian and Floridian brothers and sisters...

Archived