2500 Transducer Placement

NPRedfisher18

Curious as to where the best Thru-Hull transducer placement is on this hull. I know that it's important to keep it ahead of the step for clean water. But, based on some of the photos I've seen, that would appear to be a severe PITA. The few photos of thru-hulls i have seen look like they are placed on the extreme forward portion of the hull. With that placement, it would seem they'd spend most of their time out of the water while on plane. Ideally, I'd like a clean, clear picture at all times while running or not. So, trying to get ideas. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but FWIW I'm looking at a Raymarine Axiom which uses a dual transducer setup. Available in 0, 12, and 20 degree deadrise offsets. Thanks for any input. 

Mine was factory installed. Bronze thru the hull. It is forward of the first step and near the centerline. I read bottom at all speeds. Probably the best I've ever had for not losing bottom contact at speed. On past boats I have only had the transom mount transducers. They would lose the bottom once I got up on plane. This appears to be far superior. I have the Garmin 7610. 

The dead-rise is important. Big difference between 12 and 20 degrees. Maybe Skip knows which one to use. The degree of off-set is usually printed on the side of the transducer.  I'm not afraid of drilling big holes in the hull, especially when it's someone else's boat. Bring that thing over to my house and we'll have it done in no time.

Just kidding, but I did install mine. Got to measure 5 times and cut once. You probably have better access than the 23 HPS. Had to install mine through a factory provided hole in the gas tank.

• 6 months later...

Once you get the floor panel under the batteries out of the way it obvious where it goes there is an area on the port side for the ducer.

A  smaller ducer like the B60 will go in without taking boat off trailer you will have to mount it as far inboard as possible in the pocket.

Make a pilot hole on center then use hole saw from bottom so you don't hit trailer bunk, with the bigger size like the B175CHW

the boat will have to be lifted off trailer.

Archived