Cheap and easy under leaning post tackle storage-update

david Terry

So, Ive seen some very cool tackle systems for under the leaning post, but they either seemed very expensive or beyond my limited DIY skills.

I attached two plano tackle trays under the seat and bought two waterproof plano boxes. I'm going to see how it works out, I may attach another two holders below the two I just did.

I also bought a piece of starboard about the width of the seat and 12" deep. I would like to figure out a way to mount that below the trays so it can slide out and i can use it as a tackle tray.

Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Added a 94 q cooler under tackle trays. I can use this to rest the tackle boxes on when using, or, if i want to get clever i may attach a piece of starboard which can either slide out or hinge up from the cooler. new pic below

cheers

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

13 hours ago, WildBlueUnder said:

Cool!  Where can those holders be bought?  Looks like they are purpose built to specifically fit the plano boxes?

I got them from boat outfitters.

I used the 3700 plano tray holder and the 3740 waterproof tray. I had to check that the waterproof boxes fit in the trays as the hinges make them slightly larger. It turns out its even better as the fit is snug and the trays wont come out when on the move. There are different size trays for different size boxes so you can configure it in different ways.

Cheers

13 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

Great idea except most leaning post have rod holders welded on that bar so you wouldn't be able to mount those tackle boxes there. Also it will hender the opening of your cooler but it looks like it will work for you. Wish it would for me. 

I have rod holders on the bar, and have mounted the boxes. My cooler is up front, I may get another cooler  for under the seat but haven't needed an additional one yet.

10 hours ago, david Terry said:

I have rod holders on the bar, and have mounted the boxes. My cooler is up front, I may get another cooler  for under the seat but haven't needed an additional one yet.

I'm taking about the leaning post's without the back rest. The rod holders are welded to the bar behind the seat.  And there's no way you can open that cooler without pulling it out.  I still like the idea. 

14 hours ago, Miss Jazzy said:

I'm taking about the leaning post's without the back rest. The rod holders are welded to the bar behind the seat.  And there's no way you can open that cooler without pulling it out.  I still like the idea. 

Got ya, in fact your q gave me the idea of putting a cooler underneath to use as a holder for the trays when im using.

cheers

Archived