Having 5 batteries in a 2017 2200trs

PathyNoob

Hi all,
Long time lurker. I just bought a new pathy and want to add the Ulterra 36v trolling motor. I currently have 2 batteries and the shop that is installing it recommend moving the current batteries under the stern seats, one on each side. Then the 3 batteries for the TM will go in the console. 
Installer doesnt think he can get all 5 into the console. 
Any thoughts? I would think this will make the boat ride lower in the stern. Im putting in 3 optima 31s. 
Thanks.

• Like 2

Can you get four in the console?  I have a 2400 TRS and have a four battery set up,  one cranking/house and three for the trolling motor.

The one cranking/house is sufficient, I run up to  three livewells and all my other electronics all day with out any problems.  you may want to consider this set up.  Just a thought

14 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Can you get four in the console?  I have a 2400 TRS and have a four battery set up,  one cranking/house and three for the trolling motor.

The one cranking/house is sufficient, I run up to  three livewells and all my other electronics all day with out any problems.  you may want to consider this set up.  Just a thought

Plus if for some reason you main battery runs down you can get a jump from the other 3 just by turning a switch.  At least that's how my 2015 23 hps is set up.  You also save 60 pounds. 

7 hours ago, PathyNoob said:

The 4 battery option would be a good compromise. Would that be enough to run a hds9, 3 livewells, and the factory radio?

Plenty. You would be happier w/ everything in the console.    btw unless they changed something a 2200trs only has the option for 2 livewells.

I'm not sure if the console size is the same, but : I have a 2200 XL with 36 volt i pilot....and have five batteries , a Minn Kota 3 bank digital charger and a Guest 2 bank charger inside my center console. When I bought the boat it already had the Guest 2 bank in console with two batteries. Later I decided I wanted a 112LB / 36 volt trolling battery and my mechanic told me the Yamaha F150 is not designed to charge that amount of batteries....he recommended to leave present set up alone and just add a 3 bank charger with 3 batteries for TM and keep those separate. So my Minn Kota TM and digital charger is completely independent to the boat or motors electrical system. I've had it there over two years so far and had zero problems with any of the batteries or chargers. 

I had to take front cushion off console and install a hatch style door to be able to get to all the connections and service the batteries....but, other than cutting the opening for the door, no issues. As you can see in picture, I always leave it open when charging for ventilation.

IMG_7658.JPG

• Like 1

I have 2 batteries (house & cranking) in my console and the 3 trolling motor batteries under the rear seats. I dont notice any difference in weight distribution. I am not concerned with speed like I used to be so 5 batteries is great for me. My wife and kids like listening to the stereo a lot and I like knowing that I have a dedicated cranking battery. You really cant go wrong either way.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CG RYAN said:

I have 2 batteries (house & cranking) in my console and the 3 trolling motor batteries under the rear seats. I dont notice any difference in weight distribution. I am not concerned with speed like I used to be so 5 batteries is great for me. My wife and kids like listening to the stereo a lot and I like knowing that I have a dedicated cranking battery. You really cant go wrong either way.  

do you have any issues with the boat sitting low in the stern? i want to take my boat out near shore about 10 miles out and worried it might sit too low. i would only go out if its calm to max of 1-2 ft waves. 

also any issue with battery corrision sitting under the seats?

6 minutes ago, PathyNoob said:

do you have any issues with the boat sitting low in the stern? i want to take my boat out near shore about 10 miles out and worried it might sit too low. i would only go out if its calm to max of 1-2 ft waves. 

also any issue with battery corrision sitting under the seats?

No issues at all sitting low. The batteries are in boxes so water can't get in. 

Yes my boat is a 2200 trs. I have two battries in the stern one each side under the flip up seat. Mine are pushed as far as possible inboard and aft in the space. I then have three battries in the console right down the middle of the console. 

Also I do not feel the boat sits low in the stern. 

thanks everyone with the responses. 

now for the trolling motor. i was gung ho on the riptide ulterra but had some people say there are too many issues and go with a terrova. i like the ulterra because of the auto deploy. if there are issues with the ulterra, what TM size and brand would you look at. i was planning a 36v 72in. 

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, PathyNoob said:

thanks everyone with the responses. 

now for the trolling motor. i was gung ho on the riptide ulterra but had some people say there are too many issues and go with a terrova. i like the ulterra because of the auto deploy. if there are issues with the ulterra, what TM size and brand would you look at. i was planning a 36v 72in. 

All total, between the 1st generation and now, the current generation Ulterra, I have used them for a year and half now.  I haven't had any issues yet.  They have been 100% dependable.

I couldn't go back to the neanderthal method of deploying and stowing a trolling motor!!!:D   

On 8/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, JEM said:

All total, between the 1st generation and now, the current generation Ulterra, I have used them for a year and half now.  I haven't had any issues yet.  They have been 100% dependable.

I couldn't go back to the neanderthal method of deploying and stowing a trolling motor!!!:D   

woohoo. looks like you sold me on the ulterra!😁

now since i plan on using my boat for nearshore/offshore, should i invest in a 72in or 60in TM?

Can't speak to the shaft length but on my 2nd Ulterra and its 2nd gen. First, would I get one again, probably. My first one made 6 trips to shop. My second only one trip thus far but its only 6 months old. Thankfully they have two year warranty that is extendable and thats absolutely good money to spend! 2 friends with one and they both have multi trips to shop but all would say when they work...aint nothing finer. But keep a spare troll motor if you use your boat a lot. Kept old ipilot and its a trip saver. I think the 2nd gen ones are improved in more areas than just spot lock but my lift motor is getting noisy and thats what was replaced 4 of the 6 trips on gen 1. So....it may be a matter of when not if...but its crazy convenient if solo fishing much at all.

Four batteries is all you need unless your running a big stereo/amp. if you put in 5 or install 2 under aft seats the stock 4 bank charger wont work and you will need to pull wire to the aft batts. You can fit 5 in the console just have to rearrange the trays. 60 inch shaft is all you need on the 22,  the longer shaft of the 72 will take more of a beating if you plan on running in the gulf or big chop in Galveston bay. Minn Kota wants you to use the RTA 54 HD bracket because of the extra leverage of the 72 shaft

It's strange how some people have no problem with the Ulterras and others do.  I wonder if offshore use is the difference where it certainly has to take more abuse slamming over waves.   On my previous boat, I had a manual Minn Kota and a manual Motor Guide, and both had to have multiple trips to the shop for board replacements.

My Ulterras, both of which were purchased and installed by Mike at Master Repair, have been flawless thus far.

If you plan to use the trolling motor off shore to hold over reefs go ahead and change the trolling motor plug out. I melted the OEM plug on my 36 volt motor. I just installed a battery tender plug and hope it is as good as reported by others. It seems like a very solid connection. 

I have a gen 1 Ulterra  the issues I had with mine are definitely from getting beat up in chop. I Replaced the belt on it myself there is a new keeper and tensioner

upgrade that seems to have fixed the issue. I keep tools to adjust the belt and remove the side cover in the boat.

About the belt, I talked to a Minn Kota tech after I got my first one.  He told me to keep it sprayed down with Armor All, so I have been doing that every since.  I guess that keeps it from  drying out and becoming "brittle."  I keep a spray bottle of Armor All on the boat.  :D