Anyone with Drone experience/info?

rubble

I'm interested in purchasing a Drone to use for taking project photos for our commercial roofing business. Wondering what brand/models to focus to start looking for?  Are the OEM cameras okay ot go with the gopro as Some have suggested when drines first came out?  

My father in law has a dji phantom 4 and it's awesome. I got a buddy that has one as well for work and they use it for progress photos on large construction projects. Another guy I know inspects his roof flashing on his jobs so he doesn't have to walk them. I'd recommend the phantom but I don't know much about other brands

My we bought my son a go pro karma this summer. The thought process was it came with the go pro camera that could be used for other activities. Also included was the stabilizer stick thing. I think he will get as much use from the camera and such as he will the drone . 

I have a Phantom 4 I use for roof inspections at work. I got it for a write off mostly to fly around with not thinking it would be any good and wow, it's great. It doesn't replaced walking the roof for an inspection , but if you just need some shots of the roof and aren't looking at the little things you need to be looking at it's awesome! Also, for the roofs that aren't accessible safely it's awesome.  

I have the first gen Phantom 4 and I would recommend it highly, but you need a phone or camera with internet for it to work. The new Phantom 4 pro has it's own built in screen that's super bright and has about a 30 min battery life vs the 18-19 min life of the Phantom 4 1st gen. I have an I Pad Air and in the sun it's hard to see the screen. 

I've wrecked the Phantom many of times and its still works!  It's super easy to fly, has built in safety features making it harder to wreak it (still possible though!) There really isn't a better option for a good all around drone than a Phantom 4.

The only other one I'd consider is the Mavic pro. It's way more portable with about the same quality pics. The picture quality is better in the Phantom 4 than the Mavic pro, but it's not that much better. I'd rather the portability of the Mavic pro than the quality of the Phantom 4. 

Picture quality of the 4 is very good!  

DJI_0060.JPG

DJI_0075.JPG

DJI_0080.JPG

DJI_0089.JPG

DJI_0113.JPG

DJI_0119.JPG

DJI_0129.JPG

DJI_0198.JPG

I suggest a DJI Phantom also. Here's a link to one package you may be interested in from Helipal. I've ordered stuff from them before. My stuff shipped from China, but I think some of their stuff ships from inside the USA.  Look thru their DJI page for more options.

http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-3-professional-gps-drone-rtf.html

Those are some crazy roof lines.

I do not own any real ones myself but my good buddy at work is all into them.  He has built many of all kinds and has many store bought ones as well.  The gold standard seems to be DJI.  My buddy's latest purchase was the DJI Mavic and that thing is bad to the bone.  I will say that any of the new DJIs have some issues depending on what system you are going to run it on, Apple or Android.  The Go4 app runs fine with the ios but the are some problems with running on the Android where the app just turns off which is something you don't want with that kind of money in the air.  If you are going to run Android and are looking at DJI I highly suggest doing some research on it.

1 hour ago, mulligan said:

Those are some crazy roof lines.

I do not own any real ones myself but my good buddy at work is all into them.  He has built many of all kinds and has many store bought ones as well.  The gold standard seems to be DJI.  My buddy's latest purchase was the DJI Mavic and that thing is bad to the bone.  I will say that any of the new DJIs have some issues depending on what system you are going to run it on, Apple or Android.  The Go4 app runs fine with the ios but the are some problems with running on the Android where the app just turns off which is something you don't want with that kind of money in the air.  If you are going to run Android and are looking at DJI I highly suggest doing some research on it.

Fortunately I'm working with ISO/Apple.  From what I've read I'd have to agree with the DJI being the standard.  I guess the decision would then be whether to go with the Mavic or the Phantom 4 Pro?  I think for what I'm doing, the Phantom 4 Pro may be the way to go.    

Archived