Mounting a i pilot riptide on 21 Master Angler

Saltaddict10

I had mine mounted by my glass man while he was doing a few touch ups on the hull.  He was able to get to 3 of the 4 to thru bolt.  He did have to move the forward cleat back about 4" to make the troller sit properly and cut a piece of starboard to cover the old trolling motor holes and the old cleat hole.  The starboard was the same oyster color as the hull and looked factory.  I was happy with the way it turned out

I have the I-pilot 60"

9 hours ago, Saltaddict10 said:

I'm worried I will not be able to reach the bolts through the anchor box. Has anyone else mounted one on their master angler? I appreciate all the ideas I can get before I go to drilling holes. Thank you all very much! 

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

Its doable for one person, but you should get someone to help. Looks just about right in the pictures. If you glue the nuts and washers together first, then fashion a socket with a square peg, or something else to reach with, you will find it is easier to get the nuts started. Then you can reach them with the socket wrench to tighten. Good luck.

10 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

Just mounted mine a couple weeks ago. I used 1/4 20 3" bolts. I tapped the holes and used 5200 to seal the puck and bolts. I'm built like a T-Rex so there was no way my arm was going to reach a bolt. I just made sure they were sealed and locked in.

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, Inshore1 said:

I had mine mounted by my glass man while he was doing a few touch ups on the hull.  He was able to get to 3 of the 4 to thru bolt.  He did have to move the forward cleat back about 4" to make the troller sit properly and cut a piece of starboard to cover the old trolling motor holes and the old cleat hole.  The starboard was the same oyster color as the hull and looked factory.  I was happy with the way it turned out

I have the I-pilot 60"

Thank you! 

What year is your boat? If its 2000 or newer you should have a aluminum backing plate glassed in. No need for nuts, just drill then tap the backing plate. On my boat, with a mirror and a flashlight I could see the backing plate attached to the underside of the deck. 

Older boats may also have it, just don't know for sure. 

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

What year is your boat? If its 2000 or newer you should have a aluminum backing plate glassed in. No need for nuts, just drill then tap the backing plate. On my boat, with a mirror and a flashlight I could see the backing plate attached to the underside of the deck. 

Older boats may also have it, just don't know for sure. 

It's a 2002 thank you! 

I did what Wthree did  - Didn't trust tapping into the Aluminum plate - just scared me to have a 1200 piece of equipment relying on those screws staying put.   I used an arrow shaft, taped a box end wrench to it, then used painters tape to tape the nut into the wrench (wish I'd thought of gluing the washers to the nuts!).  I thought it would be an impossible task, but like wthree, it took me about 30 minutes and was a lot easier than I thought.  About 15 minutes of that time was just re-orienting my brain to the mirror image of everything!  

Caveat - mine is an 18, not a 21!

Archived