How do you stay in shape?

conocean

Sorry some of you but.....curling 12oz beers, whiskey glasses or goblets of vino doesn't count! 

The gym does not interest me whatsoever so I run three 5k's every week. I also stretch every morning and I rotate basic military exercises 5 days a week (three sets of 50-100 push-ups, a variety of ab targeted motions, burpees, plank holds, etc.). My diet consists of a lot of proteins & veggies, very little sugar, almost zero carbs & light alcohol consumption a night or two each week. (Yes, I have at least one "cheat" meal every week!) I started doing all of this 5 years ago (at 36 years old) and dropped 20lbs within 60 days. I can honestly say that I'm in almost as good of shape as I was in my early 20's and overall I feel great.  

Just wondering what ya'll are doing to put yourselves in the best position to finish strong! 

Elliptical aerobic workout for 35 minutes 5 days per week, 100 crunches daily along with light weight high rep bench, curls, shrugs, Kale shake for breakfast, watch what you eat. Eliminate liquid calories Sunday - Thursday. Do what you want on Friday and Saturday. 

53 minutes ago, conocean said:

Sorry some of you but.....curling 12oz beers, whiskey glasses or goblets of vino doesn't count! 

The gym does not interest me whatsoever so I run three 5k's every week. I also stretch every morning and I rotate basic military exercises 5 days a week (three sets of 50-100 push-ups, a variety of ab targeted motions, plank holds, etc.). My diet consists of a lot of proteins & veggies, very little sugar, almost zero carbs & light alcohol consumption a night or two each week. (Yes, I have at least one "cheat" meal every week!) I started doing all of this 5 years ago (at 36 years old) and dropped 20lbs within 60 days. I can honestly say that I'm in almost as good of shape as I was in my early 20's and overall I feel great.  

Just wondering what ya'll are doing to put yourselves in the best position to finish strong! 

Fixing to turn 62 this year and follow roughly the same routine described above, although I don't run anymore. Down from 235 to 197 in 6 months..the "very little sugar" is critical". 

That's right, Boomer! People can easily drop 10-20+ lbs+ by cutting their sugar & carb intakes in half without working out at all. Before I committed to my basic exercise/running routine I cut out 80% of my sugar & 95% of my carb intakes and the results were dramatic.

I don't intake lots of simple sugar, but I do take in complex carbs. No way can I function without complex carbs. I burn way too many calories at work and one of my rituals is to have some sort of protein shake on chocolate almond milk, or a protein smoothie at the end of the work day. I also eat a small serving of uncut oats and milk before gym. Personally, I can't build or maintain muscle mass without it and lots of protein. And here's something to think about too, any of you that have had heart attacks..... Were you on low sodium diets? Research is now starting to show that low sodium diets are actually very bad for you. I can attest to the science behind it (I have a B.S. In biology). Your muscles, involuntary and voluntary, cannot function properly without the proper sodium intake. I'm not talking about eating a pile of salty, processed foods or sodas (I never drink sodas. Only water, coffee, unsweetened tea, beer and wine) but extra sodium used on veggies, or lean meats, or in a smoothie, etc. I have tried an increase of sodium at specific points thru the day and I feel much better. Yes, I was a low sodium dieter most of my adult life. No longer. 

Great topic.

The real answer is do a program that helps you meet your specific fitness goals. That could be a lot different if you want to run a marathon vs lift heavy weights....my program changes throughout year based on what I'm working towards. 

That said, I am a big fan of the 5/3/1 weight program. It focuses on the "big lifts" but keeps things light and versatile enough you can still do cardio or even high intensity cardio on non lifting days. 

Also this is the prowler. I purchased one about 5 years ago loved it so much was able to talk my Dept into buying one for each station. We use daily on my shift and I don't know if there is a better more versatile piece of cardio equipment known to man. I use it for everything from sprints,  to pulling with rope to even taking it for a mile long walk.  

I have worn 3 sets of skids off mine and we are on our second set here at station. 

IMG_2891.JPG

Well you killed me at 12 oz curls...  Bike ride (baseball knees) no sugars or soda drinks, low caffeine, reduced carb intake (sorry rice and potatoes!) and protein as a primary diet intake. Crunches sit-ups light weights....  Need to do more heavy lifting though!

I hate the Gym.   I see a pair of running shoes and I run (in the opposite direction and only as far away as I have to).  Exercise for the sake of exercise makes me cringe.  If I am going to run, I need something to chase or someone chasing me.  If I am going to exercise, I need some physical threat to my existance to keep it interesting.  If you can't die doing it, I'd rather hang out on the couch.  That's not to say I'm a daredevil by any means, I just can't get motivated unless there's some physical risk of pain to keep me going.  It's a balancing act with 5 kids and a wife that want to keep me around.

I wish I could  stay in shape by fishing.   Maybe if I caught more and bigger fish, or actually used the buggy whip more often it would help, but as it stands, fishing doesn't help my physique.

I've always gravitated towards physical activity that is more 3 dimensional - Mountain biking (wow, that will do it if you are anywhere near hills, but not so much in Florida).   Since leaving the VA mountains, I was at a loss to find a good replacement and my waist line was growing.   I moved to Wilmington and I actually bought a kite-board but my wife made me take it back :(.   We compromised and I took up surfing instead.  If you want to lose weight, have fun, and build some serious muscle, take up surfing.    You know the stereotypical surfer "dude" who is totally mellow and "chill?"  He isn't actually all that mellow or chill, he's just so friggin' wiped out from the last session that he can barely move.   It's an entire body workout, it's fun as hell, and I lost 10 pounds in a matter of weeks after starting.  My upper body looks more like it did in college than it has at any time in the past 20 years since, and I've only been at this a year now.   You paddle a LOT.   I had no idea how physically demanding the sport was until I started doing it.  

I surfed all over the US, Mexico & Costa Rica for almost 20 years until my best friend died on a surf trip that I had to cancel the night before. No doubt that surfing set the tone (no pun intended) on my current day physique and it is truly the ultimate total body workout. However, even pro surfers exercise above & below the water to add to their stamina & strength. Try doing 50 push-ups, 100 crunches & 20 burpees right after a 3 hour surf session. Sounds painful nowadays but my friends and I used to do that while talking about which chick we were going to take out that eve! xD

If you can't hold it in your hand and tell excaclty what it is and every ingredient in it...don't eat it. Basically everything on the isles of the grocery store and the bakery is probably not good for you to eat. 

If you really want to be scared there's a documentary on Netflix about sugar called Fed Up. It's really interesting science though if your into that sort of thing. 

34 minutes ago, jason p said:

If you can't hold it in your hand and tell excaclty what it is and every ingredient in it...don't eat it. Basically everything on the isles of the grocery store and the bakery is probably not good for you to eat. 

If you really want to be scared there's a documentary on Netflix about sugar called Fed Up. It's really interesting science though if your into that sort of thing. 

Have you seen Forks Over Knives? That's a good one too. My cardiologist told me to get on a plant based diet and not eat anything out of a box.

Those are two great doc movies. 

Basically the only foods we should be consuming are the foods that line the outer walls of the supermarket, with the exception of the bakery & processed meats in the deli. 90% of all foods contained in the isles are not good for you or do not provide true nutritional value. 

It's amazing how people who have had aches & pains for years all the sudden start eating clean then lose weight and those same aches & pains subside by 50-75% or more. 

Every time I eat a fancy work lunch or dinner I feel like crud afterwards. There's a science to it for sure. People think I'm joking til they eat clean for a month then they become believers!

I get my "work out" every day I show up to work. I pour concrete for a living and have done it pretty much my entire life as it's the family business. When I get off the last thing on my mind is going to the gym or working out. I'm usually tired and wore out from the heat alone much less the work. Even with all I do I'm still not in the best shape. Mostly because I love to eat! 😁 But again I don't have the energy to exercise. I do keep myself busy after work as I'm always tinkering with something. I took up custom rod building a few months ago and now that takes up a bunch of my free time. I just can't stand to sit still fit too long. 

7 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Conocean - 

Funny to see your comment about shopping the outside aisles of the grocery store - my wife has been religious about that for as long as we've had kids.   Scary how much stuff has soy, and interesting to read that soy imitates estrogen.  Explains a lot!

That's why I NEVER eat soy. Unless it's on sushi!

Staying in shape is great.  I never thought that I would ever get to the sorry, overweight shape I am in now.  I played sports all my life until about 10 years ago, and now, it doesn't seem like there is enough time in a week.  I think more important than staying in shape is to  not get overweight.  Being overweight certainly puts additional stress of the old ticker.  If tip top physical condition were the key to long and healthy life, then the professional athletes who continue to stay in shape after their playing days are over would never die.  I think the biggest factor in a long life is genetics.  I can look at all 4 of my grandparents, and both my parents, and they all lived to at least the mid eighties.  I would be willing to bet that is what I am looking at too.  After all, so many little old ladies who have never broken into a sweat their entire life live to their 80's, 90's, and even over 100 years of age.  Conditioning doesn't explain their long lives.  One thing I have always wondered about is the heart......maybe each person's heart has a genetically controlled number of beats that it will last.  Maybe continued exertion of the heart through exercise is prematurely using up the heartbeats......... Maybe that is just plain crazy talk......who knows.

23 hours ago, justfish said:

Also this is the prowler. I purchased one about 5 years ago loved it so much was able to talk my Dept into buying one for each station. We use daily on my shift and I don't know if there is a better more versatile piece of cardio equipment known to man. I use it for everything from sprints,  to pulling with rope to even taking it for a mile long walk.  

I have worn 3 sets of skids off mine and we are on our second set here at station. 

IMG_2891.JPG

So you're familiar with the "prowler Flu"? 

Ohhhhhh yeah.  Got one of the guys just the other day. Got pics of you wanna see it 🙊Never actually got me,  but been real  close a few times. 

In past year since we've been working on house non stop, I have done almost nothing except about 20 min a day circuit on shift (so every third day) and got one of my better times in our annual physical ability test.  Speaks for it a lot as a good overall fitness tool.

Had some issues last year, nothing serious just have had lots of birthdays. Got back on the bike and ride it 3 times a week and strength training 3 times a week and got one of those watches to keep up with the number of steps I take each day. Lost about 14 pounds in six months and I am feeling great. Get out there and take care yourself, nobody else will. Oh and got a new doctor and went from 7 meds to 3. BP in normal range after years of high blood pressure.

Archived