Funny How Things Work Out...

Nag Juice

So.... I've been having some issues with my F150 on the Smurf. It's struggled to get to full power, sputtered, stalled and vibrated its way through the last few months. Like as soon as it hit 1000hrs it started getting an attitude.

The last month has been a ride for me. Some of you know the story, but most don't. The week after July 4th started as any other. That Monday I went to bed and started to get what I thought was terrible heartburn. No sleep all night and an empty box of TUMS the next morning and still having heartburn/chest pain. I ended up in the ER the next day and I actually had a heart attack that morning. They pumped me full of blood thinners and heart meds and transferred me to a medical center with a cardiac department. I was admitted straight to the cath lab where they found 2 blockages in my left artery. One was 30% and the other was 20-25%, the larger one was "cloudy" around the blockage. They did not put a stent there because it wasn't a big blockage. I stayed 2 more nights for observation and the second morning I had ANOTHER heart attack. They hooked the defibrillator to me, ran me back to the cath lab and put a stent on the 30% now 60+% blockage. The last month has been full of Cardiologist appointments, time off work and another trip to the ER/Cath lab for another episode (inflamed tissue around the stent). 

Before the last trip to the hospital I got brave and took my son fishing. The Motor ran like $#!T, but I decided that I was going to run it hard and see what was going to happen. After hobbling around the house after a third visit to the cath lab and 7 inches of rain I decided to go out yesterday. Motor still ran rough, but the flounder were hungry. It ran so bad my wife asked me about it. (That's unusual)  Today, I felt well enough to try it again. I packed a cooler with water and nitroglycerin then went out. The Motor bogged down and struggled to get to 5k RPMs. I decided, that with everything I'd been through recently, I was going to run it WOT EVERYWHERE hoping to have a reason to hang a new SHO 175 on the back. I'm heading to the ramp from Wrightsville Beach at a sluggish 5200RPMs and 34 knots. I'm standing up hoping to catch the boat ahead but not optimistic. Next thing I know, it's like I hit the NOS button. Whatever was choking that Motor up let go and I went from 5200 to 6200 and shot up to 42 knots in seconds. The initial shot threw me back in the backrest and I put the death grip on the wheel. It was like it was alive again. I ran it a bit longer ensuring that it was indeed back in business. I was relieved to have it back and thankful for the gift of a day. 

I called Gus (Whichwaysup) when I got it on the trailer and told him about the experience. He suggested I share the story since my personal injectors have had recent "issues". Life has a funny way of letting you know you're really not in charge. Laying in the hospital and ICUs I've had plenty of time to think about things. At this point, I'm just happy to be vertical and glad I get to enjoy days on the water for a bit longer. 

25 minutes ago, justfish said:

Makes ya wonder if a good run woulda cleaned your arteries out!?!

Glad your still with us Nag!

That's what happened after the first heart attack. The NAVY Hospital pumped me full of blood thinners and broke the blockage up. Then the next hospital had to play catch up. My cardiologist told me it was straight up "Divine Intervention" when I had the second heart attack in the hospital 3 days later.  I'm not a terribly religious man, but when medical professionals told me that I had to stop and listen. 

Things I learn from this; if you think it's heartburn and nothing works within 20 minutes...it's not heartburn. Also, when I was laid up I watched a lot of you tube fishing, Maverick, HPX, tarpon, redfish and Hells Bay videos. The Hells Bay videos with Flip are pretty d@mn good. I also think I had some build up of carbon or whatever the blockage was in the F150 way longer than a few months. That thing ran like it did when I power trialed a 3 blade last year.

Glad you're still here. I'm curious, though. How old are you (not that it matters - I'll explain why I asked in a sec)? From some of your pics, you appear to be a younger guy.  Heart attacks are sneaky and affect us in ways that would make us think of anything OTHER than a heart attack.   The reason I asked your age - 10 yrs ago this year, a good friend of mine came home from a cruise where he was celebrating his first anniversary.  He had gotten "the flu" on the cruise and the ship's doctor gave him some meds and told him to rest.   He got back home and called in to work the next day (Monday) because he still felt bad.  Tuesday, he called his wife at her work while he was still home sick.  She was concerned and called a coworker of ours who was in the area to please check on him.   There was no answer when my coworker knocked repeatedly.   After breaking thru the door, my coworker found our friend in his recliner and he was still and blue.  CPR wouldn't revive him.  He was 38. He could, and did, run 5k/10k events regularly.  He had a massive heart attack.  Listen to what your body is trying to tell you.  It's hard for us guys to admit there's a problem sometimes.  I just turned 46. At my yearly physical, my doctor gave me an EKG as part of the exam.  He said that once you pass the 45-46 year mark, that we enter an age where heat attack chances increase tremendously.  

Wow, what a story Nag. The motor means squat if your ticker ain't working. Glad you're with us. 

We all hope we wake up each morning. Some people don't, even those that think they're in good health. That's why I always say "every day is a great day if you get out of bed!" It's the dang truth. 

And it's interesting how non religious people start thinking about God when health issues arise. Who else you gonna run to? All I know is that I'll be running a full sprint when the good Lord finally calls me home!! 

5 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Glad you're still here. I'm curious, though. How old are you (not that it matters - I'll explain why I asked in a sec)? From some of your pics, you appear to be a younger guy.  Heart attacks are sneaky and affect us in ways that would make us think of anything OTHER than a heart attack.   The reason I asked your age - 10 yrs ago this year, a good friend of mine came home from a cruise where he was celebrating his first anniversary.  He had gotten "the flu" on the cruise and the ship's doctor gave him some meds and told him to rest.   He got back home and called in to work the next day (Monday) because he still felt bad.  Tuesday, he called his wife at her work while he was still home sick.  She was concerned and called a coworker of ours who was in the area to please check on him.   There was no answer when my coworker knocked repeatedly.   After breaking thru the door, my coworker found our friend in his recliner and he was still and blue.  CPR wouldn't revive him.  He was 38. He could, and did, run 5k/10k events regularly.  He had a massive heart attack.  Listen to what your body is trying to tell you.  It's hard for us guys to admit there's a problem sometimes.  I just turned 46. At my yearly physical, my doctor gave me an EKG as part of the exam.  He said that once you pass the 45-46 year mark, that we enter an age where heat attack chances increase tremendously.  

I'm 35. Funny thing is I get a physical every year with blood work. All my numbers were great. If you looked at me on paper, you'd never know I was going to have a heart attack. My supervisor is the one that made me go to the ER. If he hadn't made me go, I wouldn't have gone. Crazy times...

Shane I thought the same thing. I thought I was losing a cylinder, hence why i decided to run it WOT to maybe repower with a SHO 175. Don't need to now. 

Glad to hear you are doing well Nag! We had a close call with a family friend recently that was one of the most active and fit people I have ever known and he suffered a massive heart attack.. it definitely puts things in perspective and show you have precious and fragile life is.

2 hours ago, conocean said:

And it's interesting how non religious people start thinking about God when health issues arise. Who else you gonna run to? All I know is that I'll be running a full sprint when the good Lord finally calls me home!! 

Conocean - I always find it strange.  When people know  they are going on an extended trip, they plan for it, research it, prepare for it, pack for it.  Nobody waits until the last minute and hope things worked out.   And yet, every human knows they will some day die, but few plan for what may happen next.  

I talked to someone who said they figured they would just blink out and that would be "it".  Who knows, maybe that's true, but St. Thomas Aquinas called that a "bad gamble".  His logic makes sense -   If you bet that there's nothing after death, and you are right, congratulations, in the last millisecond of your life you get to say "I told you s. . . . "  But if you are wrong, it's a hell of an eternity.  On the other hand, if you bet that there is a heaven and a hell, and you are wrong, in the last millisecond of your life, you have to say "oops".  But if you are right, there's (from what I hear) a brand new Maverick Master Angler with a 175 SHO and an eternity of tailing redfish waiting for you.

Or, at least, that's what I hear. . . .  

1 hour ago, whichwaysup said:

I talked to someone who said they figured they would just blink out and that would be "it".  Who knows, maybe that's true, but St. Thomas Aquinas called that a "bad gamble".  His logic makes sense -   If you bet that there's nothing after death, and you are right, congratulations, in the last millisecond of your life you get to say "I told you s. . . . "  But if you are wrong, it's a hell of an eternity.  On the other hand, if you bet that there is a heaven and a hell, and you are wrong, in the last millisecond of your life, you have to say "oops".  But if you are right, there's (from what I hear) a brand new Maverick Master Angler with a 175 SHO and an eternity of tailing redfish waiting for you.

Now that, my friend, deserves an Amen and a Hallelujah!!

Holy cow folks this is a frightening story. I have lost multiple friends to cardiac events, age ranges from 39 up. As we age we have to maintain and listen to our bodies. I am thankful Nag's boss sent him to the ER. My advice:  Have your MD run all your numbers. Stay in shape. Eat the right stuff. Keep a positive attitude. Avoid stress. Love your wife and kids. Try to make a positive impact on someone's life every day. Life is precious, and every day is a gift. Nag, glad you're still with us!  Peace. 

23 hours ago, Nag Juice said:

I'm 35. Funny thing is I get a physical every year with blood work. All my numbers were great. If you looked at me on paper, you'd never know I was going to have a heart attack. My supervisor is the one that made me go to the ER. If he hadn't made me go, I wouldn't have gone. Crazy times...

Shane I thought the same thing. I thought I was losing a cylinder, hence why i decided to run it WOT to maybe repower with a SHO 175. Don't need to now. 

Wow...........that's a helluva story Nag, Scares the dodo out of me, I'm 60 years old.

I'm sure glad you are OK now. Very happy that Smurfette's F150 shot it's wad and is now cleaned out and running good too !! 

Alright, that's it. After reading Nag's story and reading about keeping in shape and heaven vs hell, I'm changing everything. Seriously Nag, I'm so glad that someone encouraged you to seek medical help. You beat the Devil twice. Someone in a recent post mentioned genetics and that has a lot to do with our health. But, eating right and staying in shape, especially cardio can prolong life and especially the quality of our lives.  

I played basketball most of my life, but the game took a toll on my knees. When I had my knees replaced about 18 months ago, the Dr. said no more basketball, so I started walking as part of physical therapy. Walked about 2 1/2 miles a day and enjoyed it. Don't know what happened, but I just stopped walking. Don't even remember why I stopped walking. I'm almost 70 now and trust me, things start to happen when you get older. But I just made a promise to myself, starting Sunday I'm walking again and doing my push-ups.

It can happen fast, and as my dad always says, "People dig their grave with their teeth." It's a lifestyle change and more than that it's a commitment.  It's not eating your favorite meal anymore and being ok with it. I've quit drinking, smoking and made substantial changes in my diet. Every vice I had is history now and the vice I'm going to have is fishing. I think a healthy, stress free lifestyle is best course of action for me. I'm getting there, stress management is a real @$$ kicker.

Nag, I'll make sure that we enhance your healthy routine tomorrow a.m. in the marsh.  Hopefully we'll give you some semi-strenous physical activity such as bicep curls, wrist rotations, and give that heart of yours a little pitter patter when those redfish leave a hole in the water where your topwater lure was. . . . 

16 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Nag, I'll make sure that we enhance your healthy routine tomorrow a.m. in the marsh.  Hopefully we'll give you some semi-strenous physical activity such as bicep curls, wrist rotations, and give that heart of yours a little pitter patter when those redfish leave a hole in the water where your topwater lure was. . . . 

I'm counting on it!

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Nag -  

Was good to get out there this a.m. and fish again with you.  Can't believe we couldn't get those fish to eat, but had a good time poling you around!   We'll get 'em next time!

For sure! It's good to be on the water fish or no fish. Thanks for the trip, my sled next time around.

Archived