Questioning my setup.

Dredgetrash

My motor is set on the second hole from the top. At 4K the boat runs 30mph and tops out at 39mph at 5k. It will only get 5k light. With a normal load it will reach 4,800. It has a great hole shot and I very rarely run it wot. 90% of the time I cruise at 4K. I feel like the boat runs good. Just wondering if I am missing something. 

Jackson

My two cents. And I'm assuming you do not have a jack plate.

Before going crazy with props to get more rpm continue looking at the engine height, as in the cavitation plate position while on plane. The cavitation plate should be just at the water while on plane, say 30 mph. Too low below the surface and there is extra drag against the lower unit. FWIW, 4000 rpm and 30 mph is not too bad for a 90 hp Bayfisher! Any faster you can almost see the gas gauge moving to "E" with those 90 two strokes. :)

• 3 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, Dredgetrash said:

My motor is set on the second hole from the top. At 4K the boat runs 30mph and tops out at 39mph at 5k. It will only get 5k light. With a normal load it will reach 4,800. It has a great hole shot and I very rarely run it wot. 90% of the time I cruise at 4K. I feel like the boat runs good. Just wondering if I am missing something. 

Jackson

I know this is an old post, but that motor should be turning at least 5500. 4800 is within spec, but that's just too low for a good running boat. Drop the pitch down. performance will improve across the board. let us know how it goes.

Archived