2500/2600 livewell clogging question

Tall Tails

My new 2500 has the same main live well as a 2600 that I've been on many times. Both have issues with small baits and, to a lesser extent, grass/weed getting through the clear plastic plate and clogging the drain. The owner of the 2600 eventually went so far as to build a new plastic plate to reduce the clearance from the top of the well and also did away with the slots and just drilled holes in their place. I spoke with my dealer today and was informed that this is the first they have heard of this issue. I can't imagine that these 2 boats are unique. What have you 2600 and 2500 owners done to stop this from happening with regularity? I took a piece of heavy mesh screening and rubber banded it over the plate for my trip yesterday but small baits still got over the top of the plate and clogged the drain many, many times. Last night I made a spacer to fit at the bottom of the plate to raise it about 3/16" of an inch. Will test this tomorrow. Mods feel free to chime in here. Thanks!

2 hours ago, NCTribute said:

Sounds like you need to shorten your standpipe.

What would that solve? Regardless the height of the stand pipe the bait will get through the plastic guard and get stuck in the top of the pipe causing the well to overflow. Unless I use the little shorty stand pipe meant for shrimp water can still splash up and over the guard. 

The slosh factor would continue to allow the bait and grass to find its way over albeit a little slower. I cut a slit lengthwise in piece of 1/2" hose and fitted it on the bottom of the plate. This forced the plate right to the top of the well. This should resolve the issue. The standpipe is provided and everyone gets the same thing with their new boat. I was kind of hoping others were experiencing the same issues so that I could see what they came up with for a fix. 

• Like 1

I've experienced this same problem recently on my 2300 HPS (not sure if identical live well). The bait was small and would flow over the clear plastic plate, then clog the standpipe, then would overflow clogging the hatch lid drains. It was annoying reaching in the livewell all day to clear the clog and what a smelly mess that was to clean the hatch lid drains. I have not tried this solution, but thought to myself about buying an extra stand pipe to drill holes along the entire surface area. Remove the ventilated end cap on the top of standpipe and replace with a solid cap. I thought this would create a greater surface area to drain with maybe a lower suction rate to prevent the smaller bait from getting the pipe clogged. 

If you drill holes along the entire length of the stand-pipe, the water level in the live-well will drop. How much it drops depends on the diameter of the holes and how many holes. You might loose too much volume, effectively reducing the live-well from a 35 gal to something less. Someone posted a solution by slipping a PVC pipe over the existing stand-pipe. The "slip-over" pipe had a cap at the top and had multiple holes along the entire length of the pipe. This "slip-over" pipe acted like a large filter, but did not reduce the capacity of the live-well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AFE CUMMINS 6.7 said:

I've experienced this same problem recently on my 2300 HPS (not sure if identical live well). The bait was small and would flow over the clear plastic plate, then clog the standpipe, then would overflow clogging the hatch lid drains. It was annoying reaching in the livewell all day to clear the clog and what a smelly mess that was to clean the hatch lid drains. I have not tried this solution, but thought to myself about buying an extra stand pipe to drill holes along the entire surface area. Remove the ventilated end cap on the top of standpipe and replace with a solid cap. I thought this would create a greater surface area to drain with maybe a lower suction rate to prevent the smaller bait from getting the pipe clogged. 

I did notice that the suction at the top of that stand pipe is a lot more than the one that was on my 22. Baits cannot swim away from it. And you are right. I had to blast my hose up and down the drain holes of the hatch drain lids. I bet I had 20 little baits crammed in there. The flies were in heaven. 

I am in Boca Grande this week and had this problem. I just had to live with the live well overflowing all day so nobody could sit on the back deck of my 26. Bait was on the smallish size yesterday and I could not keep the stand pipe from clogging. 

40 minutes ago, RCW said:

I am in Boca Grande this week and had this problem. I just had to live with the live well overflowing all day so nobody could sit on the back deck of my 26. Bait was on the smallish size yesterday and I could not keep the stand pipe from clogging. 

http://clearviewbaitwellfilters.com/

I remember this from several years ago, you might try it.

2 hours ago, bw1199 said:

Where did you get the red (foam?) from?

Its not foam. It's air hose. I bought a foot long length of it at the hardware store. I think a piece of sturdy foam would work even better. I couldn't get foam at the hardware store so came up with the hose idea. Same idea. Compresses just enough to allow the plexiglass cover to sit tight to the top. 

1 hour ago, slyshon said:

Sorry you had to do that Larry, we are revisiting our plexi cover and will make some changes.  There is some variation in the livewell heights and we plan to change to all small holes with no slots.  I will keep you posted.

Skip

Skip, a piece of real durable foam or rubber at the top and bottom would allow it to fit tight and allow for variations in height from build to build. This is why I love you guys. You follow stuff like this...then you follow up on stuff like this. 

If you come up with an idea that works please post it. Driving me insane constantly cleaning out the stand pipe or just let it over flow and have baits everywhere you don't want them. The poor guys at FTMM got a surprise when I took it into service. I thought I got them all cleaned out, nope there was one and *** that thing stunk.

I like the "pipe sleeve" idea with a bunch of little holes.....great suggestion.  

The 3rd live well on the bow of the 2600 has a smaller drain pipe so it's a non issue.  A solution may be to size down the drain pipe, top to bottom......if it still will drain sufficiently.....the problem still persists with bait getting behind the plastic insert however...