Prop recommendation 18' Master Angler

Lostsmenfive

I'm running a Power Tech OFX4 17 pitch which I'm not crazy about. It leaves a lot of glass in the water and it's difficult to get it up on top. I trailed a Mercury Mirage 3 blade 19. I liked it bc it seemed to have more lift and the boat responded better. The performance bulletin calls for a Yamaha pro series 14.5x21. I haven't got my hands on one yet bc they're back ordered. Some might like the 4 blade, the hole shot is a little better but you lose top end. I'd rather have Top end.

I run a Yamaha 21 Pro on a Yamaha F150. Have never tried anything else but can't imagine finding a better all around prop. Has a lot of bow lift which gets most of the glass out of the water making it very fast. Mines a bit worn now but still hits 55 when trimmed out. At cruise it runs about 500 rpm more than the speed (3500 rpm is 30 mph.) I would definitely buy another, unfortunately they aren't cheap and are hard to find used.

• 9 months later...
On 5/20/2018 at 10:45 AM, mblanar33 said:

It’s a 98 175 VMax on a 98 master angler. TripleC - are you having similar issues? What prop are you running now?

I have a 96 Pro V and currently running a 4 blade Power Tech PTC4R18PCL200 but just pulled it off and put on a Yamaha Turbo 14 1/2 x 19 3 blade. Used the 4 when the kids were on board and water sporting and for a hole shot but looking to see what the hull will do as I am considering re-powering. Thats what I was curious if anyone was running a fresh engine in the SHO. My numbers with the 4 blade on this hull are good but its not breaking 50mph for sure. I suspect the 19" three will but also considering a 21 Yamaha Pro.  Not a speedy hull I guess and mines heavy with dual rod lockers.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, geeviam said:

Anyone tried one of these 4-blades?
Yamaha Ultima 4 (aka Turbo Ultima 4), 14.25" x 19p or 17p
Mercury Trophy Plus, 13.75" x 19p
Solas HR Titan-4, 14.13" x 19p
Rubex HR-4, 14.13" x 19p

I've been reading up on the Solas/Rubex props and I'm finding that they are a good value and perform great. Most people claim they run stiff as in the pitch # being under rated. My boat probably needs a 23p , but a Solas 21p might be what I need.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, geeviam said:

Anyone tried one of these 4-blades?
Yamaha Ultima 4 (aka Turbo Ultima 4), 14.25" x 19p or 17p

I have and tried a Yamaha Turbo 3 14.25x19 and its not getting the job done. It was suggested I have it tuned to a 21 as its supposed to be a good one with low slip but not sure on that so looking for a 21" to try first. Maybe a Pro. 

Archived