Rub Rail & Trailer Balance Questions

HarleyG8r

Two Pathfinder questions:

1. Interested in changing out my rub rail to white, debating between doing the stainless insert or not. Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number/profile for the Pathfinder factory rub rail for both the version with and without the SS insert?

2. Trying to fine tune my boat's positioning on the tandem axle trailer. Approximately where is the front-to-back center of gravity for a 2005 2200 Tournament? Believe I saw Skip answer this one before, but couldn't find it in a search.

I replaced the stainless insert on another boat I had a few years ago.  I used a counter sink head (fixed depth) on my electric drill when I drilled the new holes, then set them with the electric wrench and finished with a screwdriver.  It wasn't really that difficult.  You'll need two people.  I filled the old holes with 5200 first, then had a buddy hold the stainless up and mark the first 10 or so holes and screwed it in place.  The hardest part was turning the corners and matching the ends......need to make sure you don't end your piece at a corner.....otherwise, it really looked nice when finished.....

On 8/10/2017 at 8:16 PM, Dawgfan said:

I replaced the stainless insert on another boat I had a few years ago.  I used a counter sink head (fixed depth) on my electric drill when I drilled the new holes, then set them with the electric wrench and finished with a screwdriver.  It wasn't really that difficult.  You'll need two people.  I filled the old holes with 5200 first, then had a buddy hold the stainless up and mark the first 10 or so holes and screwed it in place.  The hardest part was turning the corners and matching the ends......need to make sure you don't end your piece at a corner.....otherwise, it really looked nice when finished.....

Any pics? I'm interested in switching mine as well. The white looks so much cleaner.  

23 hours ago, Dawgfan said:

The reason I had to replace it was a nice concrete wall.  

I love the look of the stainless rub rail inserts.

5991a1083df76_LowResMissLaurieIV-2.thumb.jpg.769d42381a7c29152b7070d092566078.jpg

Two things may help:

1)  Low freeboard fenders by Taylor Made:

5991a0e03ec28_Fla2011-4.thumb.jpg.087f43fe6a263549baf7ab5d5ea6257b.jpg

They are designed to protect the rub rail of low freeboard boats like ours.  This shot is of the V 2000 but I use the same fenders on the 22 TRS.  Note both the ensign and the wind instrument ( yarn on antenna ) indicating that the boat is on the leeward side of the dock as well.

2)  Yes, stainless steel inserts CAN rough up the guide-on covers.  I had small tears in my covers, above where the rails are located while on the trailer??  A mystery to me.  Then I realized that the rub rails can impact the part of the guide-on up high while loading or unloading the boat and the boat is floating above its usual position on the trailer.  Check the ends of the SS where they butt and make sure they are flush, not sticking up.  I think it is this edge which tears the covers.  Also, the last 4 times in a row that Laurie loaded the boat on the trailer, SHE DID NOT TOUCH EITHER GUIDE-ON with the boat - one way to ensure no tears in the guide-on covers AND a long and happy marriage as well :).

LAS_at_Flamingo-1_2.thumb.jpg.32d5969c0c790e847a76e6a46f7be39d.jpg

Both of these boats, the 2000 and 2200 look amazing...........very very well maintained.  Excellent work Ron !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    and Miss Laurie looks happy also with the "peace" sign, I'm used to seeing my wife just hold up one finger to me when it comes to messing with the boat. 

Yes, she loves it as much or more than I do.  And I LOVE to be out there.

When we launched the V2000 the first time there was quite a breeze blowing, maybe 15 to 20+ it was a cross wind when we went to load the boat back on the trailer at the end of the day, Laurie took the boat while I backed down the double ramp.  There was another guy on the ramp and his wife was out in the water with their boat at the same time.  Well Laurie came in perfectly, never touched the guide-ons.  The other guy saw the whole thing and then yelled out to his spouse, "Hey honey, can you do that?"  Laurie was beaming and I suspect the other guy didn't get lucky for a week!

If I can get it to upload, here is a video from the Richmond Hill area.

Richmond Hill June 2013.MP4

I just turned a full 360 degrees   Laurie is driving, first you see Wassaw Island with it's beautiful beach, then the open ocean, then Ossabaw island in the distance, then Raccoon Key and then Wassaw National Wildlife refuge.  Look carefully - there is no sign of any other human being in this whole 360 degree video!  No building, no boat, nothing.  That is what we like best about being out on the water on the Pathfinder.

17 hours ago, Dawgfan said:

hey Ron, have you guys ever tried St. George Island, FL.?  If not, you'd love it....

We love St George Island!  We will be there this October at a little house on the beach.  We usually launch in Apalatchacola under the bridge or up the river a ways at a marina ($5.00).  It's never been calm enough to launch on the island by the bridge.  Last year, we launched in Carrabelle in order to get to Dog Island.

Here are a few things we saw that trip:

59933d39aaad0_ApalachicolaOct2015-37.thumb.jpg.5ee09bbf3de01174dde6661cb0ef24a8.jpg

Black Crowned Night Heron hanging out in an old abandoned crane.

59933d59db2fa_ApalachicolaOct2015-26.thumb.jpg.2f51a98ba8b9f8cf7874ca40d101baf8.jpg

Ms Bald Eagle zeroing in on a fish below

59933e5f224af_Apalach2016-10.thumb.jpg.d260863d86dba25eb47d0219bee9d54e.jpg

Love birds up the river

59933e3cd2d98_Down_the_Shore_Everythings_Alright-1.thumb.jpg.6f74c0121704fdea7ff6a194467ddcbe.jpg

Laurie and Moose heading down the boardwalk in back of the house to the beach.

IMG_2273.thumb.jpg.4e81d58d3811d5c1db8cca3df4eaba12.jpg

That little floating dock at the town park.  Short walk to coffee and fresh muffins.

Yes, you are right, we love it there - sort of the opposite of Disneyland.  

Apalach 2016-1.tif

Archived