2500 Questions

NPRedfisher18

I'm hopefully going to be in the market for a 2500 Hybrid fairly soon, however, it probably won't be until the 2018 model year. With that, are there any changes to the '18 on the drawing board? Such as, maybe a FWD pitch well or a floor hatch ahead of the console? Also, how much freeboard are we talking on this machine? I have yet to see one in the wild. I'm familiar with the 2200, as there used to be one in the family. This rig will be most used in the Port Canaveral area and the IRL and Mosquito Lagoon. Just curious how well she would do offshore. Yes, I realize it's still a "bay boat", so flat days only. But, coming out of my current Redfisher, I imagine I'll feel like I'm sailing an Aircraft Carrier. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Also, regarding power options. It's my understanding that the F350 had some reliability issues in the past. Have those been sorted out? And is 350hp overkill for this rig? I know there's going to be a weight penalty with it, and I would assume not a lot of top end gain. I don't intend to race it, but I don't want to be wishing for more power either. Thanks again.

No major changes.  FYI, our model year changed July 1, we started 2018 production mid- June.  The new F350's seem to be doing well and come with a standard 5 year warranty, we have not really experienced issues.  I have a 300 on mine and for what I do it is plenty of power, the boat will handle the 350 well if that is what you want.

Skip 

6 hours ago, NPRedfisher18 said:

how much freeboard are we talking on this machine? I have yet to see one in the wild.

Skip, any luck measuring freeboard on the 2500?  I also am extremely interested in how high her gunnels sit at rest.   How does the 2500 compare to other pathfinder models from a freeboard perspective?  

BTW, us northern muskie guys like less distance to the water, we revive and unhook fish in the water so working over the side is a must

As far as the F350 goes, i'm also looking at a new 2500 with this power option.  The torque on that motor should allow you to swing a pretty big prop which will drive efficiency and also give you some significant top end potential being that its a relatively light platform for what that motor was designed for.  But this is conjecture based on data....   i would love to see some numbers from the 2500s out there in the wild with F350's....  

I think these guys may be so giddy with the permanent smiles plastered to their faces that they cant comment... :)

3 minutes ago, NPRedfisher18 said:

Thanks for the replies. That sounds like to the floor. Maybe somebody will go dunk one in the water for us to get a waterline measurement;) My interest is in keeping the water on the outside of the boat where it belongs. Thanks again for the info. 

i agree hence my follow up question.  The step measurement clues me that it might be from the inside floor.   free board typically increases from stern to bow and for documentation purposes is typically the top of gunwale to waterline measurement at mid-ship while the boat is at rest under normal load

• 2 weeks later...
On August 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM, NPRedfisher18 said:

I'm hopefully going to be in the market for a 2500 Hybrid fairly soon, however, it probably won't be until the 2018 model year. With that, are there any changes to the '18 on the drawing board? Such as, maybe a FWD pitch well or a floor hatch ahead of the console? Also, how much freeboard are we talking on this machine? I have yet to see one in the wild. I'm familiar with the 2200, as there used to be one in the family. This rig will be most used in the Port Canaveral area and the IRL and Mosquito Lagoon. Just curious how well she would do offshore. Yes, I realize it's still a "bay boat", so flat days only. But, coming out of my current Redfisher, I imagine I'll feel like I'm sailing an Aircraft Carrier. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Also, regarding power options. It's my understanding that the F350 had some reliability issues in the past. Have those been sorted out? And is 350hp overkill for this rig? I know there's going to be a weight penalty with it, and I would assume not a lot of top end gain. I don't intend to race it, but I don't want to be wishing for more power either. Thanks again.

I have had a 22 TE and the 25 is huge compared to the 22. I have had my new 25 anywhere and everywhere I could ever want to go. I fished the humps in Marathon which was a little further out than I thought but no big deal. I ran last weekend out to 24 miles in the gulf grouper digging. I fished today for redfish in less than 2' of water.

This boat has been better than advertised BUT if I did it again, the 350 or 400 will definitely be my power choice. The 300 is adequate in every aspect but I personnaly like performance/speed. They make a supercharger for the 4.2 which may be an option in 5 years when my warranty runs out.

On 8/20/2017 at 7:09 PM, bsh102 said:

I have had a 22 TE and the 25 is huge compared to the 22. I have had my new 25 anywhere and everywhere I could ever want to go. I fished the humps in Marathon which was a little further out than I thought but no big deal. I ran last weekend out to 24 miles in the gulf grouper digging. I fished today for redfish in less than 2' of water.

That's the kind of reviews I'm looking for. I'm looking for a do everything boat. Although there truly is no such thing, this one seems to come pretty close. 

On 8/8/2017 at 1:06 PM, slyshon said:

It is more and feels like it!

It is night and day from the 2200. Freeboard is, or feels about, 4 or 5" higher aft of the front deck. I'm just breaking mine in and every time I reach over the side to rinse my hands I miss the water by about that much. I spent 14 years in my 22. Old habits...

It was pretty snotty over here yesterday. The 22 would have rode it like a jackhammer. The 25 ran 40 mph with me and 4 guys. No regrets. I fished it in all my redfish/snook haunts on the incoming tides the last few days. I made no attempt to see just how shallow it would go but we never touched bottom in the places I frequent. My guess is that its going to need 14-15" loaded with clients and full live well. My 22 needed 13" for sure.

Archived