2002 18.5 Maverick Master Angler - Sold

stpetesnooker

Oh man, whoever gets this one will be one happy person.   I have this exact same boat, 2 years older, and absolutely love it.  The yellow is forgiving of dirt/scratching, the 1 rod locker design is rock star, that vMax will make this boat get up and go, and with an xi-5 and a power pole?  Sheesh - don't walk, RUN!   

And whoever gets this thing better post up some pics when they get it!

I'm  interested in your boat, wanted to know how it handles 2 to 3 ft chop. I would be using it in fresh  and salt water. Is the hull rated for a 150?

I live in texas and do  lot of bay fishing, sometimes it gets choppy. How dry is the boat? 

Terry Wunsch  thanks

mrterry727@gmail.com 

12 hours ago, mrtwister said:

I'm  interested in your boat, wanted to know how it handles 2 to 3 ft chop. I would be using it in fresh  and salt water. Is the hull rated for a 150?

I live in texas and do  lot of bay fishing, sometimes it gets choppy. How dry is the boat? 

Terry Wunsch  thanks

mrterry727@gmail.com 

The 18MA prolly has the best ride of any 18' flats boat on the water. 

12 hours ago, mrtwister said:

Terry Wunsch  thanks

mrterry727@gmail.com 

A TRUE typical 2-3 foot chop (chop is by definition closely space, or else it would be 2-3 foot sea) is going to slow you down.  If any small bay or flats skiff (10 - 15 degree deadrise at the transom) can run at speed, it AIN'T a real 2-3 foot chop.   I have run near shore in my Path 2200V in a true 2 -3 chop, and it was all I could do to stay on plane and keep my dentures in place, and not worry about beating my boat to pieces.  I am sure I made new stress cracks that day.   

Hi, Terry.

Thanks so much for your interest.  I responded to you in a PM.  Please send another PM or give me a call if I can answer any other questions for you.  I agree with the others that have responded.  The 18MA is the best riding flats boat in my opinion. However, if you are going to experience 3' consistent chop on the majority of your outings, I would not recommend purchasing a flats boat.

Thanks again,

Drew Butler

On 8/21/2017 at 0:07 PM, JEM said:

A TRUE typical 2-3 foot chop (chop is by definition closely space, or else it would be 2-3 foot sea) is going to slow you down.  If any small bay or flats skiff (10 - 15 degree deadrise at the transom) can run at speed, it AIN'T a real 2-3 foot chop.   I have run near shore in my Path 2200V in a true 2 -3 chop, and it was all I could do to stay on plane and keep my dentures in place, and not worry about beating my boat to pieces.  I am sure I made new stress cracks that day.   

I think you need to run in a MA.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  You'll keep your teeth, I guarantee. 

On 8/21/2017 at 9:01 AM, whichwaysup said:

MrTwister - do a little google searching of the Maverick Master Angler and it's rough water handling.  It is an absolute legend.   I have this exact same boat and can tell you that if chop handling is your primary concern, you just found your boat.   

He's knows what he is talking about as does Nagjuice......i'd listen

I've had a few messages and emails asking if the boat is still available, but no one has asked to come see it.  I've been meaning to take better pics and additional pics of the wiring, inside hatches, etc. but have not taken the time.  The last two weekends, I've been able to break away for a few hours and just enjoyed being on the water and catching a few fish.  I don't have to sell the boat ... I just don't have the time to use her like I used to.  I work like an animal trying to build a territory from scratch at work and my wife and 2yr old son deserve the little bit of spare time I have.  I'm not really willing to drop the price any more, so I might end up keeping her.  I've had almost all of the wiring replaced, moved the cranking and house batteries to the console, added a Blue Sea ACR, arranged wiring and switches to be able to pull power from the trolling motor batteries if the house battery dies from running pumps on both wells all day, replaced the carpet under the gunnel with sea deck that has the Maverick logo, re-powder coated the poling platform, added the Xi5 TM and 8' PP blade.  The next project was going to be touching up the rear side of the engine cowling and replacing the decals, but I haven't had time to get to it.  The boat is an awesome fishing machine. I am really surprised there hasn't been any more interest.  This model has been highly sought after for a few years now, so I figured it would not last long.  

This boat, base price seems to go for about 17K - 18K lately, but usually not very well equipped.  With an xi-5, power pole, electronics, rewire, side imaging electronics . . . It's priced pretty darned well.   That OX66 engine is one of the best motors ever made, bullet proof and 387 hours is nothing.   

Someone grab this thing before I end up with two yellow MAs in my yard!

I absolutely love my 1995  MA17 with 95' 115 yamadog - different boat...but, the ride and fit and finish are similar.

I bought mine, sight un-seen, gave the owner a $500 deposit and another $11K the next morning when I actually saw it....never water tested it - she was and is still perfect....

Ride has been great....if the seas are it's bigger than a MA can take comfortably you don't want to be fishing that day :)

dc

5 hours ago, stpetesnooker said:

I've had a few messages and emails asking if the boat is still available, but no one has asked to come see it.  I've been meaning to take better pics and additional pics of the wiring, inside hatches, etc. but have not taken the time.  The last two weekends, I've been able to break away for a few hours and just enjoyed being on the water and catching a few fish.  I don't have to sell the boat ... I just don't have the time to use her like I used to.  I work like an animal trying to build a territory from scratch at work and my wife and 2yr old son deserve the little bit of spare time I have.  I'm not really willing to drop the price any more, so I might end up keeping her.  I've had almost all of the wiring replaced, moved the cranking and house batteries to the console, added a Blue Sea ACR, arranged wiring and switches to be able to pull power from the trolling motor batteries if the house battery dies from running pumps on both wells all day, replaced the carpet under the gunnel with sea deck that has the Maverick logo, re-powder coated the poling platform, added the Xi5 TM and 8' PP blade.  The next project was going to be touching up the rear side of the engine cowling and replacing the decals, but I haven't had time to get to it.  The boat is an awesome fishing machine. I am really surprised there hasn't been any more interest.  This model has been highly sought after for a few years now, so I figured it would not last long.  

I posted my 2003 MA as well last month and it didn't sell on here like I thought it would. Mine sold on Craigslist in one day with 6 serious buyers interested. Yes, the brokers and others can be annoying but if you're not on there I would recommend it. 

I think as you get to the end of summer people seem to be a little less enthusiastic compared to coming out of the winter into spring. 

Your boat is gorgeous. GLWS!

Archived