17 22' TRS f150 or f200

16bayfisher

I'm leaning towards just picking up a new 22 TRS. My local dealer has a 2017  22 trs with a f200. Powder coated T-TOP as well as some other nice accessories on the lot already to go. After reading a lot about the f150 vs the f200 (mostly from people who have never actually ran an f200) it doesn't sound like there's much difference between the two. I'm wondering if anyone has real world experience with a 22' pathfinder between the f150 vs f200?

I can get a decent deal on the 22' on lot with the f200 vs building one which I'd probably end up with a f150 due to price.   

I have been on that hull with both motors.  They virtually perform identically......the f200 doesn't has the oomph to spin any more pitch in prop than the f150 on the 22TRS.  The 200 SHO is night day better over the f200.  In my personal opinion the f150 and f200 is a mistake when spending near $60k on a boat...... you will be underwhelmed with performance and regret not spending a few more dollars and putting a 250SHO on the boat

I run a 2200 TRS with a 200 SHO. The boat has a lot of power. I do not have experience with the f200. I understand it may not have as  much hole shot but 200 ponies on my boat pushes it at 54 mph with a t top. I would think that the f200 may not feel as spunky but i doubt  it would not feel under powered.  

Thanks you everyone for the replies and pardon all my questions! Man this is harder than I thought, but I'd like to get it right the first time!

What about jack plates? Must have with the SHO or just a really good idea? I'm in Charleston, SC with normal 5-6' tides and some times 8' tides. The boat will be used in a tidal creek a lot of the time. The boat will be family use, two kids plus me and the wife. Lots of fishing, beaching and cruising! 

I'm going to have my dealer price everything out and see where I'm out on a build with the specs I want vs the 22trs that's on the lot with the f200. 

For the guys who bought new, was there any wiggle room with prices? Do you get better pricing at the boat shows? We're leaning towards new to get what we want and I understand these are not cheap boats, but want to be smart with the purchase. I have a local dealer, but if anyone has a dealer that is willing to negotiate on prices please let me know. I don't mind traveling if needed and I'm not in a hurry. 

So far my build with be: 

22 trs color hull

Ameritrail Trailer

200-250 SHO depending on price

T-TOP w/ powder coat package 

Charger

Fresh water wash down 

2 tone cushions

Any other must haves????? (Jackplate?????)

Add on's would be (might do these my self):

Single or dual 10' PP blades

7-9" navigation unit

36 volt ipilot or ulterra. 

Sorry for the lengthy post! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks Kiel!

3 hours ago, HoneyB said:

25 ponies 

Seriously the difference is in the computer .. same motor, horse power controlled by the computer 

HoneyB, So in theory if everything is the same between the 200,225,250 SHOs I can get a 200sho and when the warranty is out or I want some more power just re-flash or get a 250 ECU and I'll have a 250??? 

I'm new to this forum and just read your post. Another option that has not been mentioned is the F250. I have a 2016 2200 TRS with F250xca with atlas jack plate. The F250 is 57# heavier than the 250sho but it has a 70 amp alternator and a lower fuel octane requirement. I believe the F250 is a little less in price than the SHO as well. I do not have a Ttop and my boat will run anywhere from 52-59 mph WOT depending on load and conditions although I have seen 63 on gps at very light load and running on fumes. With my average load I cruise at 3000 rpm at 27-31 mph burning 6.5 gph WOT burns 24.4 gph. I really like my boat  but I do wish it had a larger fuel tank for more range at higher speeds.  My family and friends,  sometimes as many as seven people and all of our gear  do a little bit of everything out of this boat. The F250 really shines when we are loaded down  go with the highest horsepower your budget will allow. I would highly recommend a 36 V GPS trolling motor it's truly a game changer. 

1 minute ago, surveyingdawg said:

Mine cruises almost perfectly 1:1 RPM to MPH (4500= 45 mph) that's with a real world load. Light I have seen 63 on GPS. IMHO there is no other motor for this hull than the 250. 

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the f250 or SHO? I think I've decided on the 200sho due to cost. If i feel the need for more HPs changing the computer or flashing it sounds easy enough.  

Keep in mind flashing motor will void warranty. F250 is same motor as F300 and can be flashed as well. My main concern when powering a new boat is reliability first. My recommendation of F250 was not for speed but more about having power and hole shot while boat is loaded with people and gear as well as proven reliability. Whatever motor you choose you will more than likely really like your new ride. My boat came with a freshwater wash down and we have come to really appreciate it while diving, lobstering, scalloping etc. If you plan on doing any offshore bottom fishing I would recommend at minimum a 10 inch display and either the MK Ulterra or MG Xi5 because of the "jog" features. This feature allows me to literally dissect bottom structure 5 feet at a time.

Thanks Schillout. Fresh water wash down is a must for sure. We usually take gallon milk jugs filled with fresh water out to rinse off with, so the wash down is a must have option for a new boat. T top for sun coverage as well. PP is a must plan on a 10' blade, but woudl like to rig on a bracket off the jack plate if possible and I can save some money doing that myself.

I have a 36volt I pilot already, but would really like to outfit with a ulterra. I wonder if the quick disconnect pucks are the same between the ultera and i pilot???

I got a fair quote from a dealer yesterday. I'm starting to work out some details and hope to get this ball rolling. 

Rod Holders .. think rod holders ! The TRS fishes great but you have no where to place your poles when you do land a fish. I have installed 0 degree cup holder/rod holder forward . I have two gunnel mount rod holders to mount aft. I really am considering two more gunnel mounts in the bow. 

8 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Rod Holders .. think rod holders ! The TRS fishes great but you have no where to place your poles when you do land a fish. I have installed 0 degree cup holder/rod holder forward . I have two gunnel mount rod holders to mount aft. I really am considering two more gunnel mounts in the bow. 

I 100% agree with this statement. 

1 hour ago, HoneyB said:

This is the kind of stuff i want to know thanks! I have the spring lines down too they look useful. 

Archived