ENP LETTER

Fishtails

This is very unfortunate and we should all support our guides - who are usually the strongest conservationists - by making our voices heard.

Having said that, and sorry to get mildly political... but a few years ago we were told it was anti-business politicians and administrations (some would say urban elites, or worse) that were trying to reserve the park for kayakers and photographers (some would call them treehuggers) and rid it of commerce and sporting activities by regulating and pricing commercial operators out.

Different admin. Same trajectory. Apparently.

The fees for The walk ins and paddle craft went up 25% and they say there will be some fee consolidations to prevent confusion.

I suppose the 3 new hot shower sites and the other things proposed are an expense to accommodate the fishing guide community.

The FGA and NACO are already planning to meet with officials above Ramos's pay grade.

Ya know, I have no problem paying a "user fee" of $5 to use County/City/State boat ramps, like Fort DeSoto for example, however these numbers for a select few at the ENP are a bit over the edge. I'm thinking a border wall at the Florida line is in order.....just too many people!! :):) 

I haven't fish Flamingo in 8 or so years, and I don't recall the fees then. I was just looking at the fees on their site, please tell me I'm reading this wrong. I have to first buy an entrance ticket of $25 thats good for 7 days, then a ramp fee of another $25 also good for 7 days. I don't see a one day pass,  so if I only wanted to fish 1 day from Flamingo, it would cost me $50? 

I used to fish Flamingo as a kid with my dad and then as a teenage with friends in a Jon boat, paying the fees myself. No way a teen is gonna afford that today, and thats sad. They're getting that kinda money and they want more! I'd rather put that $50 in extra gas and make run from Key Largo. 

Yep. Rangers will be happy to hand out big fines to the guides they find running charters with no permit next year either while on the water within park boundaries or they will "cherry pick" them at the ramps in Flamingo, Glades city & Chokoloskee. Makes me sick! 😑

$40 annual pass for Flamingo & $60 annual pass for the ramps there OR pay $50 for 7 days of use for both. 

1 hour ago, Coto said:

Guess I will be launching out of Port of the Islands and Goodland....only $8.00. No way I am paying that increase they want I was upset with there last entrance fee hikes. The buck will stop here. Forget them.

What you gonna do when no matter where you launch you must pay the fee to be in park waters. Not sure you can operate in those waters now without paying as a recreational angler. After all you are in the park. What if a ranger stops you in shark river. Did you pay the pass to be there.

Don't know the answer to be honest. Not my gig but you better check. It seems they are saying operating/fishing in park waters needs to be paid for no matter where you originate from. Certainly so for guides as I have read. I may be wrong as it's not my gig.

No gator here on this one yet. Don't want to be all mouth and no ears at this point.:P

51 minutes ago, Coto said:

Yeah I hear what your saying but I'll still take my boat on what ever waterway my great state has...screw the federal government. 

Repower with a 250 SHO drive it backwards in the spirit world at 60 and then no way you can be caught. They can't see ya.

Lets see what's legal before you get made an example of. At least you will know when to test their equipment.:D

Good morning, Capt. Troy,

With the new changes, any visitor into park boundaries will be required to pay the fees to enter. So while this is easy for the Flamingo side, where the ENP has infrastructure to collect these fees, our my side of the park (Everglades City side) or for those coming over from the Florida Keys, they will have to go online to pay the fee before they cross the boundary.

Capt. Charlie Phillips

President
Florida Guides Association

7 minutes ago, Capt. Troy said:

Good morning, Capt. Troy,

With the new changes, any visitor into park boundaries will be required to pay the fees to enter. So while this is easy for the Flamingo side, where the ENP has infrastructure to collect these fees, our my side of the park (Everglades City side) or for those coming over from the Florida Keys, they will have to go online to pay the fee before they cross the boundary.

Capt. Charlie Phillips

President
Florida Guides Association

That will be interesting to see....I fish mostly Chokoloskee and it's only public ramps....maybe the can put a electronic PAY site like you have at parking stations....or, have an APP for phones to pay...

dc

5 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Hey, I know that spot !!!

dc

Totally! My friend's dad used to line-up his boat and pole directly towards that tower in the background starting right about where Coto's holding that linesider. This is going back to the summer of 1989. Ahhhh, the good ole days!

An ENP rep told me this morning that the future rec boat fee will either be made payable online or at the ENP visitor center. Annual stickers to post on our hull's may become the norm. No sticker or printed permit while in the ENP = high likelihood of being hooked up with a fat fine. Rec Chokoloskee residents (like myself) may be exempt from the fee or pay a lesser amount because the island actually lies within the ENP and the locals have already started screaming so I understand the discussion is ongoing. I'm going to pay whatever I have to in order to avoid being harassed while I'm trying to enjoy serenity in my home waters.

Archived