trying hpx-v 17 or 18

SeaSerpent123

I'm in the market for a 17 or 18 and what concerns me is fitting it in my garage.  I'm pretty sure I need a swing tongue trailer.  I live in Miramar, FL out west and I thought I would see if anyone is willing to try to stick their boat in my garage to see if it fits.  I would be more than willing to pay for fuel, lunch, dinner and or time and you would be doing me a HUGE favor.  It would be confirmation that it would fit before spending hard earned money and I would owe you big time.  Fingers crossed!!   

Joe

I'm not trying to be a smart *** but would just giving you the dimensions work? I don't have a swing tongue trailer (mine used to be but I put a solid tongue so it's actually probably longer than a normal non-swing trailer) I can get you height and width for a 18 if you like. I'd imagine some others with swing tongues, 17's, etc... would as well.

I kept my HPX-V 17 in my garage--no problems.  The 18' might be trickier, unless you have a deeper than standard garage or can park it at an angle--or have a removable tongue or swing tongue.  Like Jason suggested, share the dimensions of your garage and I'm sure others with those two boats can give you the exact length.

I have a 20x20 garage and my 18 HPX with a swing tongue has always been in the garage . It is in a angle but you can get around it on both sides. One  side has a washer and dryer a shelve a air compressor and a engine hoist the other side has a work bench large tool box lawn mower and bikes . 

On 7/31/2017 at 9:59 AM, SeaSerpent123 said:

I'm in the market for a 17 or 18 and what concerns me is fitting it in my garage.  I'm pretty sure I need a swing tongue trailer.  I live in Miramar, FL out west and I thought I would see if anyone is willing to try to stick their boat in my garage to see if it fits.  I would be more than willing to pay for fuel, lunch, dinner and or time and you would be doing me a HUGE favor.  It would be confirmation that it would fit before spending hard earned money and I would owe you big time.  Fingers crossed!!   

Joe

You may need to be more concerned about the length of the swing tongue....

Some sit under the bow more than others.....

You might be required to get a new trailer...depending on the boat you want to purchase....so, I'd call Ameritrailer and others who manufacture swing tongues...

I have a MA17 with a swing tongue....I can measure for you this weekend....but, don't forget, in addition to the length of the hull, you have to add the over hang of the engine...

Go to Bob Hewes in Miami  or Boat Center in FLL and measure one...then figure how it will sit on the trailer....

The other item you need to be concerned about...how high is the garage door and how high does the boat sit on the trailer will also affect whether it will fit in the garage....meaning the tower...will it fit, depending on the height of the bunks and how it sits between the tires.

DC

8 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You may need to be more concerned about the length of the swing tongue....

Some sit under the bow more than others.....

You might be required to get a new trailer...depending on the boat you want to purchase....so, I'd call Ameritrailer and others who manufacture swing tongues...

I have a MA17 with a swing tongue....I can measure for you this weekend....but, don't forget, in addition to the length of the hull, you have to add the over hang of the engine...

Go to Bob Hewes in Miami  or Boat Center in FLL and measure one...then figure how it will sit on the trailer....

The other item you need to be concerned about...how high is the garage door and how high does the boat sit on the trailer will also affect whether it will fit in the garage....meaning the tower...will it fit, depending on the height of the bunks and how it sits between the tires.

DC

I did goto Bob Hewes and measured a 17 they had there.  I figured 2 feet off the stern and about 1 foot off the bow.  I then gave another 6 inches and came up with 20'6".  It sits really low on a ameritrail trailer and I was actually told the swing tongue only sticks out about 6" inches so I think I am being overly cautious.    I'm pretty sure that boat will fit but it would still be nice to try one out to see.  I asked the dealer and they said they can't due to liability issues.  ARG!!!

18 minutes ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

I did goto Bob Hewes and measured a 17 they had there.  I figured 2 feet off the stern and about 1 foot off the bow.  I then gave another 6 inches and came up with 20'6".  It sits really low on a ameritrail trailer and I was actually told the swing tongue only sticks out about 6" inches so I think I am being overly cautious.    I'm pretty sure that boat will fit but it would still be nice to try one out to see.  I asked the dealer and they said they can't due to liability issues.  ARG!!!

so let me get this straight.

you are talking about spending over 50k buying a new fancy 18 hpx-v from these people and they won't let you $#&*@&$ take it home to see if it fits in your garage????

18 minutes ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

Nope, not at all. 

Wow. Tell them its part of the test drive.

Make sure you check the height of the poling platform and think about the trailer angle going into the garage. (Up or down hill makes a difference)

I had to raise my hitch to get the right angle. 

As far as seeing if it will fit.  Take the dimensions and lay them out on the floor with chalk or string.  Add 6" to everything to ensure you have enough clearance.

Watch out for the garage door operator on your approach. Hitting the emergency release won't be pretty. 

I think this is why the "factory direct manufacturers" have a huge leg up when its comes to customer service, spending $50K (lets be honest, its closer to $60K when it's all said and done) on a 18' flats boat deserves, I think, some pretty incredible service pre and post-sale.

Story time: Guy I fish with has flats boat being built in Orlando as we speak. Had the same questions about garage fitment and called the manufacturer about dimensions on the trailer. 2 days he received a poster board template of the boat's footprint sitting on a trailer,(swing tongue and standard trailer) rolled up in a sleeve. He just had to tape it back together and lay it down.

NO reason why a dealer can't run the boat over to your house and check it out if they want the business.

Who are you considering buying from ?  Bob Hewes or Boat Center?

I understand not letting YOU take it over...but, they drive vessels to ramps all the time for water tests....

I like the creativity of the "orlando boys"....maybe something can be learned here by MHP ?

DC

On 8/1/2017 at 10:50 AM, dabear said:

I have a 20x20 garage and my 18 HPX with a swing tongue has always been in the garage . It is in a angle but you can get around it on both sides. One  side has a washer and dryer a shelve a air compressor and a engine hoist the other side has a work bench large tool box lawn mower and bikes . 

My garage is 18 x 18 so it's on the small side.  I have 81" inches of height clearance to get through the door.

Thought?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

Joe,

what was the end verdict ?

sTaying MHP or going to the dark side to get a skiff that fits ?

dc

Still up in the air at this time.  Going to the boat show before anything is decided.  For obvious reasons, I want the biggest boat I could fit in the garage.  

• 3 months later...

Archived