Keel repair

fishcast

I have some wear on my used 2000 v pathfinder I picked up this spring and there's some areas on the keel where fiberglass is exposed. Anyone have recollections for products and methods for DIY repair? Or would u recommend a professional do it? Not really huge gouges so much as general  wear on the keel.  I'd like to get it fixed and then get a keel guard or some kind on it.  Thanks much! 

I agree if you are going to put on a keel guard no need to fix it.  the gel patch or even marine tex will fill it if you think you need to before you cover it up. Honestly though as you describe it i would just put the keel guard  on if that it the end game any way.

Thanks for the responses, has anyone got the line x keel guard ?

I'm not sure if it's rough like typical bedliner or smooth? Seems like it would be a good longer term solution using the line x keel guard but I also don't want to lose noticeable amounts of speed either (if the line x caused drag possibly). 

I have the line x keel guard. It works good. It is smooth and I can't see it causing any more loss of speed than a regular keel guard will if any. The only issue is that dealing with the shop that does it isn't the best any a long shot. I like it but probably will not do it again just do to the way I was treated. Good luck. 

On June 15, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Miss Jazzy said:

I used the spectrum. I masked off the area around where the damage was. Then applied the paste leaving it a but high cause you will sand down to a smooth surface, let cure until the next day. Pulled off the tape revealing damaged area. First start with 220-320 grit wet sand then down to 400 & 600.  You never know where it was when finished. This is the one I done yesterday. Had a 1" long hole on the keel where I hit the trailer when I came in a little too hot and sideways. Lol 

IMG_1323.JPG

Archived