18 HPX PROP QUESTION

BLawson

I have an 06 18ft HPX with a 115 on it with a jack plate.  I am currently running a 17 pitch 4 blade.  

cruising at 4700 RPM around 30-34.

The Boat Tops out at 42 at 5700 RPM.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 3 blade or different 4 blade? I feel like the boat is a little slow and the bow porpoises with the trim tabs all the way up. 

# 1 a Yamaha pro series in 19 or 21 pitch

# 2 a 3 blade PTR in 19 ,20,or 21 pitch

# 3 a Merc SPITEFIRE X7 in 19 or 21 pitch

# 4 laser 2 in 19 or 21 pitch

If your in or near Ruskin Tampa Bay Area send me a message I have a few of the above props that work well on the later HPX 18 hull design 2009 (thanks Jason) and newer . The earlier hull design is not the same and may not like these props. Joe R

On 7/27/2017 at 2:22 PM, dabear said:

# 1 a Yamaha pro series in 19 or 21 pitch

# 2 a 3 blade PTR in 19 ,20,or 21 pitch

# 3 a Merc SPITEFIRE X7 in 19 or 21 pitch

# 4 laser 2 in 19 or 21 pitch

If your in or near Ruskin Tampa Bay Area send me a message I have a few of the above props that work well on the later HPX 18 hull design 2009 and newer . The earlier hull design is not the same and may not like these props. Joe R

Like Joe said, the earlier hull design is not the same.  According to the specs, it's about 265 lbs heavier than the "2009 & later" hull with the same motor.  I like prop #1 on Joe's list in particular.  I just found out that it has become the Unicorn of K-sized props. 9_9

On July 27, 2017 at 9:42 AM, BLawson said:

I have an 06 18ft HPX with a 115 on it with a jack plate.  I am currently running a 17 pitch 4 blade.  

cruising at 4700 RPM around 30-34.

The Boat Tops out at 42 at 5700 RPM.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 3 blade or different 4 blade? I feel like the boat is a little slow and the bow porpoises with the trim tabs all the way up. 

Different hull...but, my RF18 (a 2003) with a 115 ran right at 42-44 mph....I"m not sure why you need more speed...once you get up to  near 50.the skiffs can chime walk and are skittish at high speed.

With a JP - a little porpoise is going to be normal with tabs up...you have adjusted the hull by moving back the engine.

Just my $.02.

dc

Just to clear things up a little: 2009 is the first year of the "new hull design" for the HPX18 not 2010. If you use the 2009 HPX18 info your boat is going to be under-propped (or over-propped maybe, I don't know I'm not a prop experimenter guy but you get my drift)  What you have is a Hewes Bonefisher 18 rebadged as a Maverick. Its a great boat for sure but as stated, totally different animal. Try researching prop info for the Hewes and you may have better luck finding more comprehensive information.

4 hours ago, jason p said:

Just to clear things up a little: 2009 is the first year of the "new hull design" for the HPX18 not 2010. If you use the 2009 HPX18 info your boat is going to be under-propped (or over-propped maybe, I don't know I'm not a prop experimenter guy but you get my drift)  What you have is a Hewes Bonefisher 18 rebadged as a Maverick. Its a great boat for sure but as stated, totally different animal. Try researching prop info for the Hewes and you may have better luck finding more comprehensive information.

Sorry Jason I thought it was 2010  but your correct . I did edit my post and changed the date from 2010 to the correct 2009 . Thanks again for the info. Joe R

Archived