Dock to boat lift boarding

RICH12

I just installed a new boat lift adjacent to my dock.  The step from the dock to my 24trs in the lift is a stretch for my family.  Was considering building a step or platform of some kind?  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  I am concerned about safety.  Thank you.

JP

Rich12,

i recently had a new lift installed, and I worried about the same thing. The installer extended the dock boards outward so the cradle, when lifted, barely clears. I assume you have a 4 post lift. He could have gone a bit further out with the boards, but it works well with a 6 inch gap when the boat is level with the dock.

if your setup is not similar, please post a pic of what you have.

IMG_0242.thumb.JPG.cec6c838a680dfb20a0faacc32e49966.JPG

Rich, build yourself a platform that you can hinge back over the dock when not in use. I made mine out of wood about 24" x 24" and it makes a big difference getting in/out of the boat. My neighbor has one made out of aluminum, however I have no idea the cost.

5979dc514f683_File_000(2).thumb.jpeg.64098af8f73894e241591b1020249552.jpegThis extension is part of the dock floor. It is great for boarding the boat , however you can't raise the lift higher than the extension. It hasn't been a problem so far , even after hurricane Matthew where the tide  and wind was extremely high. If I were to build it over again I would do the same thing.

• 4 weeks later...

This is my simple "walk the plank solution." Used an adequate plank screwed to dock via two galvanized hinges with a pulley at the lift beam to raise and lower. If you put the gunwale level with the dock you have a level one step walk. With the pulley, it does not interfere with height boat is lifted. Crossing to the boat, you can grab the T-Top for stability and the lift beam coming back. It is simple, cheap, and a little bit of a thrill. For info only. No advice intended and any liability disclaimed.

Parkin Hunter

Garden City Beach, SC

IMG_3466.JPG.daffa56708cbd76dd992417f4f4f8f73.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived