Maverick Taking on Water

Scales

Fellow Maverick Owners,

I'm an awful user/contributor to this website.  I only engage it when I have a question or issue (my apologies).  That said, I love my '99 Maverick Mirage 2 but I'm not at all 'handy'.  I outsource all of its work to a local, reputable marina (with the exception of topping off the oil (2 stroke), fillin' her up (ethanol free w/ stabilizer), and cleaning her - I don't know a thing - seriously).  Here are my questions and any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated:

1) I'm taking on water.  I cannot figure out where.  I've gone so far as to fill the entire bilge (until water was coming out of the drains in the floor) with a garden hose (I'm sure some of you are shaking your heads cause I screwed something up by doing this - the batteries were off), left it out in the sun to fully dry, and then walked around it feeling every part of it that would be below the water line - it was bone dry.  Therefore, I'm at a loss...

My standard procedure when running it - I obviously put in the plug, I also plug up the two scuppers that run along the starboard and port side near the base of the seat/storage (because when i don't there is excess water lapping around on the floor and going down into the bilge).  I do not plug the holes in the aft live well because I believe they flow directly in/out and don't have a thing to do with the bilge.

The negative here is that any water that makes it into the cockpit and going directly to the bilge and not able to flow out of the scuppers.  Am I being an idiot in this approach?

2) Making matters worse.  My bilge constantly shorts out.  I've asked for my local marina to show me how to fix this myself on the water (so I can be more of man about things), but in my ignorance:  this past weekend was 100% sketchy and borderline dangerous.  I had some buddies out in the middle of a 3 mile wide section of river - thought I just had her weighed down too much because of the company because of how sluggish she was being - instead I think she was 40% of the way to a full Titanic.  Fortunately, I self diagnosed and got her back to the ramp and on the trailer in time for her to drain for the next (every bit of 9 minutes).

Therefore, how do you all 'plug up' your skiffs (or not)?  Where are some places I should be looking (for potential H2O encroachment)?  What's the quick fix I need to get my bilge working on the water (instead of having a "I'll Never Let Go" moment on a floating piano with a bunch of DUDES).

-Wade

I don't think your boat has a high speed pick up for the live well, but I had a boat that would only leak when I was running... There was a crack in the plumbing that only leaked under pressure.. As for the bilge pump, I'd pull a whole new line and replace the pump..   if I remember correctly your self bailing cockpit holes are high enough you'd never get water up there to test them, but with the amount of water you are talking about I'd look there first..

Hi--

In addition to what said, specific for what I also checked on my Mirage...

-all thru hulls, a gap will occur between the actual thru piece and the hull (I had 6 on my Mirage in the water-2 side scuppers, 4 in the crusty well). Also, the screw holes holding the clam shell on the side scuppers.

-Speaking of screw holes, reseal all, check the trim tab screws.

-My livewell had a high speed pickup thru to the bottom. There was a brass sleeve that was put in place--that began to deteriorate. Needed to replace sleeve and repair/fix fiberglass to seal.

-Livewell-the seal at the top where it meets.

-Also, can be leaking at rub rail when running.

Never could understand why thru hulls were made/put in place, but not sealed/glassed so leaks would not occur later? 

Good luck!

Archived