Prop Help For a Friend - 22 Pathy TE 250Sho

Wanaflatsfish

19P is the typical "go to" prop for the dealers. What a paper weight they are. That SWS 19P must be the only prop left in the warehouse because you cant get anything else from Yamaha. PT's are ok but I think the design is way behind the times. If your buddy will be satisfied with a PT then great; if he wants performance that will "wake up" that hull, I would suggest a Merc Prop. Granted my hull is not the same but the Merc Rev 4 was night and day difference. I ran a Bravo Pro XS on my HPX and loved it. There are plenty of guys that demo Merc props; Ken at Prop Gods, BBlades, etc. The cheapest place to purchase is Jayco's Marine in Tennessee. Brad at BBlades really helped (and Josh B!) me so I ended up buying from him. Hole shot, mid range and top end is unbelievable. Fuel economy is great at 38 mph and 3800 RPM. I believe its almost 4 mpg.

Glad to see you have yours dialed in Scott! The Merc props run awesome on stepped hulls like yours but I didn't care for it as much on my 2200 when I had it. The rev4 hated the jackplate and the bravo just wasn't that impressive. I ended up going back to the ol' reliable OFX and it was a great all around prop. I will soon be entering the prop game again when I get another boat in the next few weeks. Wish me luck.  

29 minutes ago, CG RYAN said:

Glad to see you have yours dialed in Scott! The Merc props run awesome on stepped hulls like yours but I didn't care for it as much on my 2200 when I had it. The rev4 hated the jackplate and the bravo just wasn't that impressive. I ended up going back to the ol' reliable OFX and it was a great all around prop. I will soon be entering the prop game again when I get another boat in the next few weeks. Wish me luck.  

Hydrodynamics is so much fun to deal with! There are some guys down here running the 2400 and 2500 (step hull) , with F300's using the Enertia Eco and one guy running a Tempest (always my fastest prop but squirrelly). No sure if they tweaked them or not.

Glad you are getting a new ride. Give me a shout when you can. I would like to hear about it.

For what it's worth I have a 2015 22t with no top and a 250 SHO. Initially got the PT OFX4 21 based on many great positive reviews however the engine would not spin up past 5350-5400 light load half fuel.  Marcus wanted to see more rpm' and we went with a 20 pitch brought them up a bit but still not enough r's when the boat had 2 people full of fuel. Switched to a rev4 21" and got the rpm's up but lost a fair amount of mid range speed but had the highest speed 59.7 the boat has ever seen.   In an effort to get the best of both worlds and positive reviews from many, decided on a mercury Ecco 20" 3 blade and it's been a good compromise. The 16" diameter wheel along with a 3 blade still gives the boat decent lift, full rpm range, and decent mid range speed. That's what is on the rig this year.   Hope this helps. 

ing I am learning among the Yamaha people. Personally i like mercury props myself. My 2200TRS came with ofx3 19 pitch. It was awful at lifting the hull out of the water. I ran a Merc. Tempest Plus.. amazing lift on the hull. sadly it was a 21 and i could not quite spin it with my 200 SHO. I am running a 19 pitch Merc. Enertia Now and it takes my boat to 54 mph with a t top. I still want to get a 19 tempest plus to run I think thats the ticket.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Ridding_Dirty said:

'14 TE TTop  With SHO250 I have the PT OFX19. Runs 5900 RPMS at 57/58 MPH without wells full. Mid range power is great holds plan at low speeds and runs way better then the Yamaha 4 blade it came with. I cant comment on the merc props but would love to try one.

Is the PT prop a 3 blade or 4 blade?

OFX 4 Bladed. I had a 20 Pitch and could only see 5700RPMS solo trimmed out. Exchanged for a 19 pitch and bat ran night and day better. not sure why but the 19 is perfect for my set up.

Call Marcus at PT and he can guide you as he did me and others who have referred me. I bought mine form Olympic Propeller for 526- delivered I believe. I have bought three props over the years from them.

Hope info helps .

Archived