T-top canvas replacement solution

TarponTim

Tim,

If you're replacing your canvas often and it is leaking on you all the time, try replacing it with Sunbrella. Water does not leak through it and it will last in the direct sun for at least 10 years. Be careful who you do business with. Many canvas shops will tell you they are using Sunbrella but are actually using an inferior knock-off. If you decide to replace your canvas, have the shop use Tenara thread when they sew the top. It's more expensive than standard bonded polyester but It is really the only thread that will last as long as the Sunbrella.

2 hours ago, hawg said:

Tim,

If you're replacing your canvas often and it is leaking on you all the time, try replacing it with Sunbrella. Water does not leak through it and it will last in the direct sun for at least 10 years. Be careful who you do business with. Many canvas shops will tell you they are using Sunbrella but are actually using an inferior knock-off. If you decide to replace your canvas, have the shop use Tenara thread when they sew the top. It's more expensive than standard bonded polyester but It is really the only thread that will last as long as the Sunbrella.

Hawg,

I don't mean to highjack this thread (no pun intended), but is there a way to tell if my canvas shop really used it after I requested and paid extra for it on my new Bimini? It being constructed now.

23 hours ago, TarponTim said:

Question: has anyone replaced there t-top canvas with starboard or a similar material ? I am so tired of replacing the canvas and it leaking and dripping on me. Just looking for some kind of strong and light material that can handle the sun on it. 

see your boat is an 01'. should not have to be replacing canvas if it's sunbrella. should last many many years and waterproof every couple of years (3). my top and covers are from 03' and still in excellent condition as were other tops and biminies I have had in the past. I waterproof only when the water stops beading off. even when water is absorbed it does not leak.

when waterproofing, hose down boat and keep hose handy if product gets on anything. it will stain and almost impossible to get off once it dries.

as for a hard material, SHIP SHAPE TV had a segment of replacing canvas with a hard material a few years ago. do not recall the product. may be able to look that up or google it. good luck.

Did a little google on the subject. seem like STAMOID is a excellent fabric replacement, states better than WEBLON.

For hardtop, Pro Trim is suggested, same as hat worn by Rick Murphy a few years back, but may not still be in business. another two products are, AZAK & SUPERBOARD. states STARBOARD not good because of it's rough surface is hard to keep clean and not paintable as the others are and is heavy where as the others are very light.

Also read that you can purchase fiberglass sheets or outdoor vinyl sign material and make your own. 

hope this sheds some light on the subject

Thanks everyone. I have Sunbrella and it leaks and i tried treating it with 303 fabric guard also and no luck. I will check into the Weblon anything is better then this. I was just hoping to find a thin strong material that the water would just run off like a starboard material but lighter.

• 1 year later...

Archived