Cobia's questions on boats built prior to 2006 Model Year

Scott Deal

• 3 years later...

There is no info on the prior Cobia models when the company sold to MBG.. 

A 25’ boat would always have 2 batteries, thinking logically. If the battery switch is 1-2-All, then it was wired for two. If the switch is only on/off, then it may have had only one. Does it have twin engines or a single ?

I don’t think the problem is the battery switch. Any switch should be wired for the whole system unless they ran wires to just one pole later.

Your friend needs to do the basic electrical tracing: check power, grounds and switches.. 

MM

3 hours ago, Moderator said:

There is no info on the prior Cobia models when the company sold to MBG.. 

A 25’ boat would always have 2 batteries, thinking logically. If the battery switch is 1-2-All, then it was wired for two. If the switch is only on/off, then it may have had only one. Does it have twin engines or a single ?

I don’t think the problem is the battery switch. Any switch should be wired for the whole system unless they ran wires to just one pole later.

Your friend needs to do the basic electrical tracing: check power, grounds and switches.. 

MM

Thanks! It was my opinion that the boat should have 2 batteries based on it's size. The PO stated the instruments worked and then stopped abruptly. This indicates either a lose cable or a blown inline fuse. My friend checked all the fuses and connectors at the instrument panel. I suggested he should look for inline fuses at the batteries and test the switch. I'm not sure if it is on-off, but he claimed it says "batt1/batt2" but there is harness for one battery only. I am a bit surprised there are no wiring diagrams on line, because older Cobias are pretty popular.....  

Just so you know, This Company bought the Cobia brand in 2005.  They retained all their proprietary information for legal reasons. Plus, you don’t see wiring diagrams online for boats since they are hand built and have many variations.

If there is only one battery harness on the switch, then perhaps it had only one battery or someone removed the second set of cables. 

We have some very competent members that can help with suggestions.  You could ask for advice on the general forum to get the most exposure for your question.. 

MM

• 1 year later...

My husband and I came across a Cobia Sportster 193 Vbr  yr-1986. 
The seems in fairly decent condition given the age - we want to put everything back together 

where can we find the actual manual and information/specs on this model 

We spoke with Cobia just today and they told us they have nothing in databases from before 2004, I believe.  Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Michigan loves Cobia