N Captiva Fishing

dcathey

We brought our boat down from Georgia and I've caught some small trout on grass flat behind Cayo Costa. I found some nice oyster bars N of Useppa Is. that I plan on taking some shrimp to on s high tide(if I can ever plan it around the family excursions). Other than drifting the passes for snook, what general areas/spots (not looking for GPS numbers but want to be headed in right direction) should I be hitting this time of year and what seems to be the ticket for bait. Side note, We are staying on n Captiva and are in a 22 Pathy. Thanks fellas

Captiva pass is very productive for mangrove and lane snappers and groupers, gag and red, albeit most of the groupers are short. Do you have your cast net? Pilchards are the minnow of choice in the passes and are abundant around docks and close to the beach in the gulf. If you don't have your net I can meet you out there and get you a baitwell full. Lots of hot spots for snook, and the tarpon are around as well. Trout are thick. Reds are scarce but around. Hard to beat live shrimp, but everything eats them, sometimes undesirables like catfish and pinfish. Truly, the hottest fishing, particularly for the family, is for mangrove snapper. And they are pretty tasty. 

Thanks Drummer

Snapper around the mangroves behind Cayo Costa ?

I brought my net and caught some small green/silver baits while off of Cayo Costa the other day. They kept hanging out in the shade of the boat. Didn't have much luck with them, they were very small. I've been seeing solo tarpon roll while fishing the beach from the house but I'm always snook fishing and don't have my setup ready to pitch. I might sell out and only try that tomorrow morning.

We are getting rained out this morning and if it breaks I'm gonna go on a bait search off of Cayo Costa so I dont fill boat up with grass from the net.

Yes, snapper are in those mangroves, but generally small. The pass has produced multiples over 15" this trip. Larger white bait is generally in the gulf, just outside the shorebreak. Watch for birds or clouds of bait, which are more prevalent north of Captiva Pass off Cayo Costa. We are also rained out this morning but are preparing to load up and head to Jensen's, where our Hewes is in a slip.Hoping this weather scoots. 

Drummer, are you in a blue Hewes? I've prob seen you from the house and possibly off Cayo Costa when we were beaching it. We are in a blue Pathy with a tower

what do people around here use to drift baits for tarpon? Back home we use pogeys and anchor up or drift. I've watched several tarpon from the porch today around a certain area and I may sell out and do that. Do you need big baits? Or just drift a couple different artificials with the fast current? Sorry for all the questions, rain has us hemmed up inside

Yes Sir, the blue Hewes is us. I'll keep my eyes open for your Pathfinder. Nice boat, BTW. We generally throw flies for tarpon, but have used cut mullet on larger spin tackle. If you need mullet let me know: I slayed them the other day and have a freezer full. Those large gulf minnows are great baits, but hard to find. Heck, my boys have each hooked nice tarpon on pilchards in the 5 inch range. I believe when tarpon are hungry they'll eat anything. Are y'all keeping your boat in Safety Harbor? If you find the big gulf minnows please let me know. I have sabiki rigs ready for action. Lots of mullet in that harbor, but they are wary. Very wary. Cloudy day would be ideal for the mullet net. 

If you have plenty I'll glad take some. I think I'm gonna sell out the next couple days and try to hang one. Just had one roll while I was grilling hot dogs. I'll msg you my number , give me a call or text so if I see anything I'll holler

Archived