21' Maverick Master Angler Repower

Treypitten

3 hours ago, Treypitten said:

Just purchased a 1998 21' master angler with a 225 vmax (first gen), I'm looking to repower with a 250 SHO Vmax four stroke. Has anybody ever done this with this boat and motor or have any feedback about repowering one with a four stroke?

Quite a few with Fourstokes.  Capt Troy on this forum may have the most knowledge being that he has worn out several engines on two different 21's (he should chime in). My brother has a 2008 21 with a factory rigged F225 sport.  Boat floats just fine and runs hard upwards of 63 plus.  Great combo.  

I have an 06 with a SHO 200 and the boat handles the extra weight of the 4-stroke fine.  I sometimes wish it was the 250, but just got a new prop and seeing high 50's and can't ask for much more than that.

With that being said, i believe 1998-2003 were only rated for 225 and don't know if the transom changed any in 04 to accept the extra weight of the 4 strokes and the little bit of extra horse power.  Insurance may be an issue as well.  I think the boat will handle the 225 SHO just fine and should get 60 MPH consistently with a 3 blade.

Good Luck

My 2004 21 is rated at 225 max.

The SHO at 505 lbs. is actually lighter than the older 4-strokes like the F225 sport at 584, and even lighter than the 2 stroke HPDI 3.3l at 540. SHO is the way to go.

(What prop / specs are you running now)?

Archived