Livewell Pumps

CaptAndy

I have ran Rule pumps for about 20 years and I'm finally getting to the point that there has to be a better option out there. Typically they only last 3-4 months and they are shot. Yes they stand behind them but I am looking for something better. Anyone have any good or bad to say about the Piranhas? There are a handful of higher end boats that come standard with them now so Maybe that is the answer. Any feed back is welcome. 

I switched from the Rule 500's to the Rule Tournament 800's and have two that have ran for almost 2 years..I was always constantly changing the cartridges with the 500's. Yes, Rule will always send you a replacement for the cost of shipping, but...when I switched to the 800's ...no more problems and they fit into the same canister. Unscrew it , change it out.

The pumps I've had the best luck with (lasted the longest) were SurFlow magnetic pumps. They are about twice the size and weight as most pumps, but the impeller is not connected to the motor via a shaft. It is run by magnets. So, if the impeller gets clogged, it doesn't put any strain on the motor. They also have a 3 year warranty and the motor is replaceable.  

I have 1100s due to the live well size. I had the Bait Sentry Magnetic Pumps first and while they pump a tremendous amount of water they are incredibly loud. I ended up switching to the rule tournaments but have too many failures to count. 

5 hours ago, CaptAndy said:

I have 1100s due to the live well size. I had the Bait Sentry Magnetic Pumps first and while they pump a tremendous amount of water they are incredibly loud. I ended up switching to the rule tournaments but have too many failures to count. 

Yes, the Bait Sentry Magnetic pumps are noisy. But there is a solution that will make them so quiet, you'll have to look into the live-well to make sure they are running. The secrete is not to thread the pump stem directly onto the threaded female of the sea-chest. Instead, connect the two with a short piece of hose and two hose clamps. As long as the two stems don't touch, the pump will be very quiet.

On 7/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, CaptAndy said:

I have ran Rule pumps for about 20 years and I'm finally getting to the point that there has to be a better option out there. Typically they only last 3-4 months and they are shot. Yes they stand behind them but I am looking for something better. Anyone have any good or bad to say about the Piranhas? There are a handful of higher end boats that come standard with them now so Maybe that is the answer. Any feed back is welcome. 

What's up Andy,  there is nothing much better. I buy them from west marine and buy the extended warranty so  new ones cost you a new warranty plan instead of full price. I get at least 6 months to a year and they get used daily so I'm guessing yours may sit a little longer between uses  so the corrosion builds up much faster. Maybe rinsing the impeller after every use would extend the life but who has time for that.

Aron

I hate to state the obvious, but keeping the strainer clean will extend the life of the pump motor. When the strainer gets restricted with grass, the pump labors or strains to push the water through the strainer. Additionally, the more you use your trolling motor in shallow water, the more grass is collected in the strainer. I have the standard strainer, but occasionally some thin stringy grass is pushed right through the screen. It wraps around the shaft and the pump starts to squeal. While on the water, I have to remove the motor cartridge and use the independent wash-down pump and hose to dislodge stuff.

7 minutes ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I hate to state the obvious, but keeping the strainer clean will extend the life of the pump motor. When the strainer gets restricted with grass, the pump labors or strains to push the water through the strainer. Additionally, the more you use your trolling motor in shallow water, the more grass is collected in the strainer. I have the standard strainer, but occasionally some thin stringy grass is pushed right through the screen. It wraps around the shaft and the pump starts to squeal. While on the water, I have to remove the motor cartridge and use the independent wash-down pump and hose to dislodge stuff.

The strainers can also start to corrode restricting the water flow.

5 hours ago, FunFlatsFishing said:

The strainers can also start to corrode restricting the water flow.

Exactly!!!!! While cleaning up after fishing, I stick the garden hose in the live-well and push water backward through the outlet. That rinses most of the salt out of the system and probably pushes some particulate matter out of the pump impeller. I'm retired and fish for fun. Actually I'm addicted to fishing, so I probably have more time to do stuff like this.

Archived