JEM " rocket man"

fishmanjj

I had an opportunity to fish with JEM alias " rocket man" this weekend....he recently installed a new SHO 225 on his 2200v, previously rigged with a F150.  Keep in mind that I own a 2200xl with a F150 on it so I am very aware of how it performs. Let me tell you guys what the difference is between the two motors. There is NO COMPARISON. Period, end of conversation.

That 225 SHO accelerates like a 300 and sounds like a small block V8 Chevy engine with a racing cam and headers. Awesome set-up for sure.

i could post a picture of the trout we caught....but, this was more impressive ! 

IMG_8420.JPG

I had a great time.  I hate that I made you wear goggles but I have to err on the side of safety for the crew.🚀  I should have been wearing mine, though, when that pelican misjudged our speed and almost impaled me between the eyes!   I'm glad I still have quick reflexes and  was able to duck under him!  LOL

Saturday was a day for the birds.  After that near miss of death by pelican with JJ, Debbie and I headed to HHI for some lunch at the Black Marlin.  Zooming up the ICW, all of a sudden Debbie let out a banshee scream and scared the devil out of me!  She was sitting next to me on the leaning post, and a seagull that I didn't see dropped a bomb that hit the windshield, then coated her down, then coated the motor cowling down.  I tried hard not to laugh as she didn't think it was too funny.  Miraculously,  not a drop touched me.  LOL.  Then on the way back south in the ICW after lunch, a small seagull apparently misjudged our speed and I missed hitting it by just 3 feet.  Whew, I'm glad I didn't have to clean a dead seagull off the starboard bow!

It is really just fancy talk. JJ is just playing on my vanity!!!!!  I can now cruise about 40 mph at about 4500 - 4600 rpms.  That is REALLY fast for me.  To me, cruising at 40 instead of 30 is a BIG deal.  With the F150, 40 mph at "fishing" weight would have been approaching top end rpms!  With just me in the boat, it will run 56-57 mph at about 5800 rpms with a 3 blade 19" prop.  I am sure I could eke another couple of miles per hour out of it if I went with to a 21" prop, but I don't want to drop the rpms at top end.   

Let's see, so far this summer, I have blown out 2 pairs of crocs,  1 pair of flip flops, 1 dock line, and 1 expensive aluminum handled bait net that I can think of off the top of my head.   I am about to figure out that every thing needs to be in it's proper place before I take off.......shoes on the feet, bait net in a rod holder, etc, etc.   I didn't have this issue with the F150. :D  

Not really.  The SHO is only about 25 lbs heavier than the F150.  I could probably pull enough "stuff" off the boat (that doesn't need to be in the boat in the first place.:D) to make up the difference.   For example, out of date flares, tennis shoes, etc.  I even have a bucket of cleaning supplies that stays on the boat......so I am spending money in fuel to carry that stuff everywhere.  Real smart on my part.   I do it because I am too lazy to leave it in the truck and have to walk back and forth with it. 

4 hours ago, 16bayfisher said:

Jem, Did you notice any difference in draft between the two motors?

There is no way he can guess at draft running near 60 mph !  JEM 's boat handles like a sports car....with a lot of power. After he slowed down and my eyes cleared up from all the wind velocity...I will say the boat sit pretty level in the water.

i previously owned a 2400v and took off a two stroke 200 HPDI and installed a F250 ( 2008 ) and it really squatted...that year F250 was heavier than a Sears refrigerator/ freezer combination hanging off the back of that 2400v. 

JEM boat has no signs of that condition.....these new motors are so much lighter , it's a no brainer. Awesome package. 

I went out in my 2200 with F150 the next day and " wow" did it seem slow...but, I didn't have to wear ear plugs, gloves and goggles. 😎👍🎣

Archived