Sign in to follow this  
johnd

Tarpon showing up

johnd   

Port Canaveral area south to Melbourne, following the bait.   Starting to show..we went 0 for 1 yesterday (a short morning).  

Update: Tuesday my buddy fought huge fish over 2 hours!

• Like 1

Compton   
On 7/10/2017 at 1:02 PM, General disarray said:

Off the beach I take it? I am new to the area and learning - if you dont mind me asking what baits and how far off?

Yep, usually not reachable from the shore though.  Sabiki up the bait of your choice, its hard to miss, blankets of bait in between the tarpon and the shore.  Look for birds.  Free line the bait.  Its a game of patience and persistence.

Hoping to get out there this weekend!

johnd   

The common set up is to cast net pogies (menhaden). 40-50 lb braid.  5-6 ft 80lb flouro leader. 8/0 circle hook

Cruise along the beach looking for activity..between 10ft depth, sometimes out to 20 ft.  Best if you see some rolling, but all preditors are near schools of bait.  Get quiet!  This is why the kayak guys often outfish us in the skiffs.  If you must, use TM low speed just o control your position.  Slow troll or drift your Baits (hook thru nose or bridle).  Hang on   Guide friend will use kite so he stays well away from his Baits.  

If no pogies around, live mullet works.  Or hang out with Capt Willy and be amazed how he gets them to eat flys :)

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 5:38 AM, johnd said:

The common set up is to cast net pogies (menhaden). 40-50 lb braid.  5-6 ft 80lb flouro leader. 8/0 circle hook

Cruise along the beach looking for activity..between 10ft depth, sometimes out to 20 ft.  Best if you see some rolling, but all preditors are near schools of bait.  Get quiet!  This is why the kayak guys often outfish us in the skiffs.  If you must, use TM low speed just o control your position.  Slow troll or drift your Baits (hook thru nose or bridle).  Hang on   Guide friend will use kite so he stays well away from his Baits.  

If no pogies around, live mullet works.  Or hang out with Capt Willy and be amazed how he gets them to eat flys :)

Really appreciate all the info! This is exactly what I needed - will be my first go in the Port canaveral NSB area and want the wife to have a good time . I can sit all day however with her ..... well I am sure you know how that goes. Again thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.