First day out

HewesYourDaddy

3 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Man, that thing looks like a rocketship!  That first pic is eye candy!   I know you are  thinking of losing the poling platform/spoiler, but between that and the red racing stripe, it really adds to the look!  

Congrats again on the purchase!

You know, I never even noticed the platform back there today. We'll see how it goes this weekend when we fish it. I may end up leaving it on there. This was my first time driving a tunnel hull today. Very different than a V hull.  No speed demon by any means. I think I eeked out just over 40mph at one point. there are so many variables to adjust to trim out how you want the hull to ride. I found that a touch of tabs down, jack plate up about 2", and just a bit of trim out on the engine was pretty good for cruise. I was absolutely stunned by the way a 4 blade prop lifts the stern on hole shot. With the same amount of up jack plate, tabs down maybe halfway or little less, then ease hard (oxymoron - like jumbo shrimp) on the throttle, boat lifts out of the water in less than a hull length. No bow rise at all, no large wake.  One thing I did notice in hard turns (trimmed like described above) is that it almost turns like a cat hull. No lean into the turn. Pretty much flat. I'm gonna enjoy this ride!

Very slick rig! What prop did you decide on? Don't bust butt trying to make it haul the mail, trimmed out at 5500 my V will see 46 mph with a fresh tuned RXB4. It will also handle like it's on rails when it's fresh out of the shop. 

On 7/10/2017 at 9:07 PM, HewesYourDaddy said:

This is the prop on it now. Prob needs some tuning or freshening up, but I can't get it off the spline. Previous owner put one of those keyed anti-theft washers on it and no one has the tool to remove it.

IMG_0218.JPG

I guess that's the prop you'd want on a tunnel with a jp. I'd offer up my SCD4 for you to try, but it's out in TX getting massaged. It also looks like you have an hurdle or two to get over. 😳

Is is that a McGard prop nut that's missing the cap? 

Archived