Sea Strainer Removal

Hey Guys, 

Long time lurker, first time poster here from Beaumont, TX. I have a 2007 2400 with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke. While attempting to change a livewell pump cartridge I broke off the pvc housing where it screws into the strainer housing. I'm hoping somebody might have an idea of how to remove the pvc in the broken strainer. Any input would be appreciated.

bilge 1.jpg

bilge 2.jpg

No offence, but I hope Ron From Atlanta doesn't see this bilge. He'd have a stroke. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It might be easier and cheaper to just replace the strainer and start with new stuff. By the time you find and monkey around with an extractor you could be finished with all new parts.

When you thread them together, use some "Boat Life" caulk. It's a great sealer, but will allow you to take stuff apart without breaking stuff. If you use this sealer/caulk you don't have to make your threaded connections super tight. Just hand tighten, let the sealer/caulk set-up and it won't leak.

This sealer/caulk is especially helpful when you have different parts threaded together at right angles, like you have. Often it's very hard to get parts tight, but also at the correct angle to attach other parts. "Boat life" is your friend.

23 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

No offence, but I hope Ron From Atlanta doesn't see this bilge. He'd have a stroke. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It might be easier and cheaper to just replace the strainer and start with new stuff. By the time you find and monkey around with an extractor you could be finished with all new parts.

When you thread them together, use some "Boat Life" caulk. It's a great sealer, but will allow you to take stuff apart without breaking stuff. If you use this sealer/caulk you don't have to make your threaded connections super tight. Just hand tighten, let the sealer/caulk set-up and it won't leak.

This sealer/caulk is especially helpful when you have different parts threaded together at right angles, like you have. Often it's very hard to get parts tight, but also at the correct angle to attach other parts. "Boat life" is your friend.

Ditto on the Boat Life !

Archived