Need a new onboard battery charger

SCFD rtrd.

The charger that came with my boat lasted just over a year. I replaced it with Pro Mariner and that one lasted about two years. First one charging lead stopped working, then about a week later a second charging lead stopped working. Had a Pro Mariner in my old bay boat that lasted about 13 years. So, does anyone make an onboard charger that will last? Looking for a 3 bank, 20 amp.

15 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

The charger that came with my boat lasted just over a year. I replaced it with Pro Mariner and that one lasted about two years. First one charging lead stopped working, then about a week later a second charging lead stopped working. Had a Pro Mariner in my old bay boat that lasted about 13 years. So, does anyone make an onboard charger that will last? Looking for a 3 bank, 20 amp.

Here is what mine looks like and where it's mounted....

IMG_1563.JPG

Well I have to admit, lack of ventilation might have been the problem with my last two chargers. I've never had two chargers fail this quickly.  It's installed in the below deck compartment behind the leaning post. Three batteries are in there also. I wouldn't say it's a sealed compartment, but the only way to ventilate it is to leave the lid open. Maybe I need to think about the Powermania because of the "active cooling" feature.

Thanks for the help, this is undoubtable the best boating forum.  

3 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Well I have to admit, lack of ventilation might have been the problem with my last two chargers. I've never had two chargers fail this quickly.  It's installed in the below deck compartment behind the leaning post. Three batteries are in there also. I wouldn't say it's a sealed compartment, but the only way to ventilate it is to leave the lid open. Maybe I need to think about the Powermania because of the "active cooling" feature.

The Minn Kota dealer told me anytime I was charging make certain I had all doors, hatches etc open...the more air flow..the better. 

Just like last night, I had my charger going.  I had my console door closed and my black sunbrella console cover on.  I have done that frequently and to date, have not experienced any problem.....yet.  When I checked it this am, it was warm but not hot.

IMG_1597.JPG

I have a Charging Systems International 3 bank model. They've home office is in Nashville. It is 8 years old and works great. Never an issue with undercharged batteries. My optima blue top batteries are over 6 years old and run my 80 lb Minn Kota all day long. 

You probably can't go wrong with any already mentioned.

I have bought and used all the top names:

1.) Dual Pro - 2 years on my flats redfishes  in2003

2.) Minnkotta 4 bank - 7 years no problems

3.) No ProMariner - same charger 3 years now

All under console with door cracked when charging for a bit of air.

No problems with any....

My recommendation - get what you can buy at West Marine - buy the longest warranty you can get so it if craps out - you just take it back and get another.

the other top one - Stealth - seems to be a favorite on the forum as well....

I also have a 10 year old Minnkotta single charger that I keep just in case one lead takes a dump I can always charge.   So far, only had to use it when I ran the house battery down and burned up a bilge pump due to a stick caught under a water indicator...no big deal, just added water and charged it up.

DC

I have had good luck with dual pro, last one was 13 years old and mounted in my console. I just bought a new dual pro, decided to keep this out of the boat and install when charging because it's heavy, it gets hot and I plan to upgrade my tm to group 27 and move my house/starter to my console. So far no issues.

On 7/2/2017 at 2:27 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

Based on this, I would say your problem is the charger being installed in a below deck hatch. Most charger are sealed, but saltwater is sneaky. Might consider installing the new one in a better place. 

1 hour ago, hurricane said:

Based on this, I would say your problem is the charger being installed in a below deck hatch. Most charger are sealed, but saltwater is sneaky. Might consider installing the new one in a better place. 

X2!!!!!!  All chargers, regardless of make, will fare MUCH better above deck and dampness.

I agree, but to install the charger in another area would necessitate lengthening the charging leads. The Powermania charger has all the internal guts potted, so that and the fact that it has a small fan for cooling should be ok in the below deck compartment. Ordered the Powermania today. If it doesn't last, they you can say, "I told you so". Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

A quick question, if you have your charger mounted on board, can you eave the charger connected to the batteries, or do the charging leads have to be removed when not charging and simply using the batteries?

This would be for my trolling motor batteries if that makes a difference.

thanks

8 minutes ago, david Terry said:

A quick question, if you have your charger mounted on board, can you eave the charger connected to the batteries, or do the charging leads have to be removed when not charging and simply using the batteries?

This would be for my trolling motor batteries if that makes a difference.

thanks

Leave it connected to batteries all the time and just plug it in when charging.

On 7/4/2017 at 0:35 PM, ififish said:

My noco genius has been flawless for past two years

2x on the Noco Genius.  I have the  Gen3,  and I love it plus the price was excellent.  Three bank charger 10 amps per bank.  Charges quickly and it only charges the batteries that need it.  Maybe that's why they call it a genius.    

Archived