PF 2400TRS R'S

Dcabot65

Don,

I run the 21hs4 on my 24trs 300 no ttop.  5700/55-57mph real world/load(2 people, gear, 3/4+ tank,etc).  Usually set jplate 2-3 and leave it.  I trim motor up 3/4 or more when matted.  Not being funny, but are your trim tabs up?  More details might help.

J

Thx Rich I have played with t tabs to find a happy medium to keep from porposing. Harbor was pretty flat on Saturday and only maxed at 43 r's and about 45 on gps. Command link is not reading proper speed so I'm going with gps. Boat has under 10 hrs so I am trying to find what makes her happy. Ran her with 1/2 tank no gear and my wife and myself. 

something is deff up... Hs4 21 300 yami on the 24 i am running no ttop,  center well full, 45 yeti,tackle, gear, 2 guys full tank of fuel, cast net, 2 PP's, 36v TM,  tabs up JP all the way down trimmed out 56-58 all day long.... I've never had issues with proposing with the 24 until both wells full 2 grown men in seats and 2 at leaning post and cooler under leaning post and it only happen at 30/35 mph 

at 3500 rpm -35 mph

at 4000 rpm -40/42 mph

at 5700 rpm - 56/58 mph 

by harbor you mean Charlotte Harbor? might want to have that prop checked see if maybe its been tweaked or something..

8 hours ago, Stricklyoutdoors said:

something is deff up... Hs4 21 300 yami on the 24 i am running no ttop,  center well full, 45 yeti,tackle, gear, 2 guys full tank of fuel, cast net, 2 PP's, 36v TM,  tabs up JP all the way down trimmed out 56-58 all day long.... I've never had issues with proposing with the 24 until both wells full 2 grown men in seats and 2 at leaning post and cooler under leaning post and it only happen at 30/35 mph 

at 3500 rpm -35 mph

at 4000 rpm -40/42 mph

at 5700 rpm - 56/58 mph 

by harbor you mean Charlotte Harbor? might want to have that prop checked see if maybe its been tweaked or something..

Thx, yes Charlotte Harbor

It looks like you have about the same setup as the performance bulletin. The bulletin shows this boat should be running 59 mph at 5800 RPM's with the exact same prop you have now.  4300 RPM's seems very low at full throttle. Yamaha's Manual shows that full power 300 hp is between the operating range of 5500 to 6000 RPM's. At 4300 RPM's the motor is not producing 300 hp, which explains the low mph compared to the performance data sheet. If the prop is preventing the boat from getting up to full operating range, it can be potentially bad for the motor. It sounds like a fuel or motor issue, more than a prop issue though.  These Digital Yamaha's have data logs in the ECU and can tell you exactly how many hours the boat has run at specific RPM's, which may be something you might want to request from the dealership. In any case the dealership should be all over getting to the cause of the problem.  

http://www.pathfinderboats.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/Pathfinder-2400-TRS-F300XCA.pdf

IMG_7811.PNG

So today with some jackplate and t-tab tweaking got her to 5000 and 51 mph, still not where she should be, but an improvement. Still gettting the porpising around 35 mph though maybe some bow weight is needed. Thx for all the help guys. 

That is improvement. Porpoise at low speeds is somewhat common but in higher speeds it should disappear. I am not sure how experienced you are at driving the boat but I usually keep tabs up all the way up and jp around 2. As you run the boat trim slowly and mph/rpm should increase and match pretty closely. Continue trimming until the speed is no longer increasing or the boat starts losing water pressure. At that point you should be running around the 5800/58 mph range. If you are experienced then I apologize, just trying to help. 

45 minutes ago, CG RYAN said:

That is improvement. Porpoise at low speeds is somewhat common but in higher speeds it should disappear. I am not sure how experienced you are at driving the boat but I usually keep tabs up all the way up and jp around 2. As you run the boat trim slowly and mph/rpm should increase and match pretty closely. Continue trimming until the speed is no longer increasing or the boat starts losing water pressure. At that point you should be running around the 5800/58 mph range. If you are experienced then I apologize, just trying to help. 

Yes it does start to go away at higher speeds. I tried jp today around 3 seemed to be the best scenario with motor trimmed up. I will be experimenting a little more tomorrow. Close to 30 years experience but I will say this boat is a little tougher to dial in than my past. But I'm sure with time and maybe a dealer look she will be where she should be. Thx for the help and no apologies needed for trying to help. 

run your JP all the way down no need to have it up unless running in skinny water or idling.. JP up could be some of the porpoise issues your having.. like i said i have to have a ton of weight in the rear to cause porpoise.. its a slight touch of tab down and it stops also.. id deff be going to the dealer i would assume they could get you figured out.. if cant get it dialed in bud send me a PM i wouldn't mind running with you to try and solve issues.. Honestly like to know whats causing your headache.. 

On 7/4/2017 at 11:14 AM, Stricklyoutdoors said:

run your JP all the way down no need to have it up unless running in skinny water or idling.. JP up could be some of the porpoise issues your having.. like i said i have to have a ton of weight in the rear to cause porpoise.. its a slight touch of tab down and it stops also.. id deff be going to the dealer i would assume they could get you figured out.. if cant get it dialed in bud send me a PM i wouldn't mind running with you to try and solve issues.. Honestly like to know whats causing your headache.. 

Thank you much for the advice and offer will keep u posted. 

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that 93 octane is needed for max 300hp.  Thats all I run in mine.  See 57-5800.  Friend has same 24trs 2017 and struggles to get over 5200 rpm.  He runs rec 89/90.  Not sure if thats the prob.  Same prop (21p hs4).  If you have access to 93, it might be worth running tank down and then fill w 93.

Jp

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, RICH12 said:

My understanding is that 93 octane is needed for max 300hp.  Thats all I run in mine.  See 57-5800.  Friend has same 24trs 2017 and struggles to get over 5200 rpm.  He runs rec 89/90.  Not sure if thats the prob.  Same prop (21p hs4).  If you have access to 93, it might be worth running tank down and then fill w 93.

Jp

I run Rec 90 on the water and 93 if I have to buy on the road gas. Either octane does not have an effect on my motor (F300). No problems getting 5800 - 6000 RPM's with either octane. I would suggest looking hard at the prop.

I would be all over your dealer about this. How hard is it to prop a 24 TRS? They sell tons of these boats yet a lot of people are having trouble. I understand, T Tops, rigging weight (batts), location of weight, Power Poles, TM's etc. but this isn't rocket science. Dealers need to start thinking out of the box.   

6 hours ago, SWilson said:

I run Rec 90 on the water and 93 if I have to buy on the road gas. Either octane does not have an effect on my motor (F300). No problems getting 5800 - 6000 RPM's with either octane. I would suggest looking hard at the prop.

I would be all over your dealer about this. How hard is it to prop a 24 TRS? They sell tons of these boats yet a lot of people are having trouble. I understand, T Tops, rigging weight (batts), location of weight, Power Poles, TM's etc. but this isn't rocket science. Dealers need to start thinking out of the box.   

Totally agree.   It ain't rocket science, and it ain't a new model never tested!  This should be a no brainer for a dealer, unless there is some issue with the motor.  If the motor checks out, then it has to be a prop deal.  Dealer should have this right in less than an afternoon!  Let us know what the problem was when they get it running right.

5 hours ago, JEM said:

Totally agree.   It ain't rocket science, and it ain't a new model never tested!  This should be a no brainer for a dealer, unless there is some issue with the motor.  If the motor checks out, then it has to be a prop deal.  Dealer should have this right in less than an afternoon!  Let us know what the problem was when they get it running right.

Will do, dealer has had boat going on 3 weeks now will be making a call tomorrow. Luckily I am not down now and looking to fish. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Dcabot65 said:

Received an update from the dealer they took a little more than 1" of cup out of the prop and she now runs 54 mph @ 5800 as good as it gets according to them. I will see on Monday when I sea trial it. Hopefully they have it dialed in. 

You probably mean 1" of Pitch.  to my knowledge, cup is not measured by inches.........however, they may have taken some cup out as well......

18 hours ago, Dawgfan said:

You probably mean 1" of Pitch.  to my knowledge, cup is not measured by inches.........however, they may have taken some cup out as well......

Not disagreeing with you that's just what the work order from them stated. Hopefully they have it right. 

Archived