What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

49 minutes ago, SouthernWake said:

I will put a big write up together once done as I have done a TON of glasswork on the boat. Removed rod lockers and offsetting the console, recoring hatches etc

hull will be ice blue with a whisper grey deck. After that will likely be painting all metalwork and poling platform black

before:

820F46F7-2B58-42EB-858A-B70605C9EDF6.jpeg

50B8A5FB-285B-472B-9B2A-70207FE8C716.jpeg

B9EE7219-A3D1-4603-B87E-C1F05F100A50.jpeg

What hull is that?  Looks like a 17 MA??  Did you make those rod lockers flip down from the inside?  Very cool and great way to keep people from kicking expensive reels inadvertenly!  Get that thread up and running, man, this looks like a fun one to watch!

2 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

What hull is that?  Looks like a 17 MA??  Did you make those rod lockers flip down from the inside?  Very cool and great way to keep people from kicking expensive reels inadvertenly!  Get that thread up and running, man, this looks like a fun one to watch!

Pro Sports 1800FF. Rod lockers are factory.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Coto said:

Very nice, I like looking forward to see how you transform her. Sure had good memories in her. That’s a solid Hull you got there.

Thank you, me too!

I'm a pretty big fan of the hull and even at its size I am on the pole the majority of the time. Like I said before I think it was pretty neglected by the owner between us as I could never get the oxidation out of the gel coat and a lot of coring and floor sections were rotten. That said I did check and the transom/stringers are composite and solid as the day they were laid up. After 20 years she has earned a facelift.

Had a 1998 1800FF as my first flats boat after selling my offshore boat. My hull was solid and with a Yamaha 100hp four stroke ran decent. Ran all new wiring, replaced instruments, did a ton of cleaning,  went though the four carbs for rebuild and synchronization and the normal upgrades of trolling motor, sonar, and others.. That boat got me through a lot of the learning curve of fishing shallow water around oyster beds.  

IMGP3382.JPG

IMGP3370.JPG

• Like 1

On the subject of cleaning the rubrail - it’s not an issue if you use acetone. I do it on occasion BUT I then take a rag and a can of CRC 2-26 and thoroughly coat the rubber or plastic rub rail to keep it conditioned. And it keeps it shiny as well. I’ve even used 2-26 (and WD-40) to polish the paint on many fiberglass engine cowls.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, whichwaysup said:

Linesider, curious, what would ceramic coating go for on an 18' redfisher/MA sized boat?  Saw an egret that had been coated with it recently and it was impressive.

On my 25 footer it was $2500 for ceramic on all smooth surfaces (sides, cockpit, console). This includes buffing, polishing, etc. I did ceramic pro Bravo instead of ceramic pro marine, which would have added even more cost. 

If my console and topside weren't all black I doubt id spend the money. Much cheaper and easier to apply starbrite polish with ptef every 3 months. I just think with the black facing direct sunlight it cooks any wax or sealant that is applied. 

On 2/11/2020 at 9:03 AM, whichwaysup said:

Finally ordered a "cup"le of these in black to mount on my console rod holders.  Got tired of spilled coffee, but havent been able to find something that would be out of the way.   Saw them on q4r s new redfisher and liked them a lot!

http://cudascustoms.com/boat_cup_holders/universal_clampon_boat_cup_holder.html

I made a couple of these on my CNC with some starboard.  Pitty that the 316SS rods I bought to space the upper rim didn't turn out to be 316 as they're starting to rust after several trips out.  Looking at your cup holder - I kinda do like the idea of having them down low.

48169315791_ef4e58a979_z.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, whichwaysup said:

awesome, thanks Coto!

Anyone familiar with this stuff?  Would prefer not to tlreplace my entire rubrail, but it is looking a little aged.  thoughts?

http://www.acrylicwerks.com/boatother.html

Use a Heat gun on the rubber rub rail.  It raises the oils in the rubber back out to the surface and makes it look like new.  You can obviously go too far with the heat so easy-does-it.