What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

I am pleased with the paint. I have used awl grip on a few projects so I did consider it for this too. I decided to give this a try just because it was less than 20 bucks. I brushed it on rather than trying to take every thing apart and spray them. The paint does level quite nicely as advertised on the can.  If I were to do the inside of the boxes I would probably spray them with which ever paint I used. 

there is an awl grip project planed for this little Redfisher though :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, whichwaysup said:

"Let there be light" . . . . and there was!   Hoping these will make re-rigging a little easier at night/early morning.

20191121_112106.jpg

20191121_112123.jpg

64268.jpeg

whoa...nice.  Great idea!

I just finished up stringing new RGB lights with a switch to switch them all from red to white.  I will be looking to add another set under the poling platform - that looks great.

49132491793_39fbc5a0df_w.jpg

49133171887_9d76541890_w.jpg

49132983706_b3d10fe6c0_n.jpg

• Like 2

Busy weekend on my RF16!  Getting ready to head to the Keys next week and expecting to work for some snappers under the full moon so needed to get the rest of the night lighting in order.  The original incandescent light in my bait well had cracked and was leaking (which wasn't good for the bulb contacts).  I bought a four pack of LED livewell lights and installed lights in the battery and my live well.  The original light in the bait well used a larger hole so I machined a spacer ring with a centering boss out of some acrylic I had laying around - worked great.  Sealed it all up with some 4200, snugged up, and cleaned with mineral spirits.  I also (structurally) finished up the fiberglass work on my new boarding platform (we will certainly do some snorkeling and maybe hunt some lobster if they're obvious).  This was the first time I used a Total Fair product and it reacted badly to the finish coat of gelcoat keeping it from curing where it covered the total fair.  I'm out of time - it's just going to have to carry that antique look for a while.  Even though I did some computer modeling of the loading on the boarding platform, I'm not that confident in it now that I have it mounted.  I decided that it needs some bracing to the stern to give it a little more resistance from heavy human beings...so a mad scramble is on to get that worked out this week.

One day I'll quit working on boats and clean my shop...one day...perhaps after the Hewes gets a badly needed thorough cleaning and detailing. 😉 

49155232466_b6a3505b94_z.jpg

49155446137_558afa77c1.jpg

49155230756_5ef7ffedb3_c.jpg

49154045903_fdf1526014_c.jpg

49155228111_1b23400081_c.jpg

49155228281_7642f8f7d1_c.jpg

49155231881_ba221bf684_c.jpg

49155441637_7f59645df0_c.jpg

• Like 3

Last week fishing with BDSnook  we talked about the livewell standpipe being in the center of the opening in the livewell and how it caught the bait net each time you tried to retrieve a bait so I came up with this. Plugged up the top overflow from the back. Got a couple 45 degree angle pieces for home depot and went to designing my prototype.

I'm running my water hose in my front yard wide open in the Live Well. it did overflow at first. So I drilled two holes at the bottom near where the black stopper goes in the floor and then I drilled two more in the midsection. That seemed to fix it because it fills right to the top of the drain pipe but does not overflow outside of the Live Well. Success!
Now all I need to do is fill it with bait and verify it works properly. I have not glued anything into place so I can still make adjustments if needed.

standpipe3.jpg

standpipe2.jpg

standpipe1.jpg

• Like 3

Must be the week of the LEDS. Did a little shopping this weekend and went a little overboard. 

Ordered 2 shadowcaster SCM 10 Red underwater lights, 3 24 inch red led strip lights for in the hatches, switched all the speaker leds to red,  and 6 red led rock lights for the cockpit. Fixing to make this boat look like the Las Vegas strip! 

I get the boat back next week and then it will all go on and Ill post photos. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, lurem said:

Last week fishing with BDSnook  we talked about the livewell standpipe being in the center of the opening in the livewell and how it caught the bait net each time you tried to retrieve a bait so I came up with this. Plugged up the top overflow from the back. Got a couple 45 degree angle pieces for home depot and went to designing my prototype.

I'm running my water hose in my front yard wide open in the Live Well. it did overflow at first. So I drilled two holes at the bottom near where the black stopper goes in the floor and then I drilled two more in the midsection. That seemed to fix it because it fills right to the top of the drain pipe but does not overflow outside of the Live Well. Success!
Now all I need to do is fill it with bait and verify it works properly. I have not glued anything into place so I can still make adjustments if needed.

I would be really interested to hear how you like that.  I've thought of doing something similar but was worried that the little bit of angle would give bait an area of the well where they absolutely couldn't be reached (under the pipe).  I've also been considering running a pipe from the overflow that drains onto the deck surface just in front of the engine (where you have a plug), and route that overflow cleaner to over the stern so the overflow water doesn't flow over my bilge access hatch.  then I would just plug up the standing pipe hole and remove the standing pipe all-together.  What would I give up with that?

11 hours ago, JakeK said:

I would be really interested to hear how you like that.  I've thought of doing something similar but was worried that the little bit of angle would give bait an area of the well where they absolutely couldn't be reached (under the pipe).  I've also been considering running a pipe from the overflow that drains onto the deck surface just in front of the engine (where you have a plug), and route that overflow cleaner to over the stern so the overflow water doesn't flow over my bilge access hatch.  then I would just plug up the standing pipe hole and remove the standing pipe all-together.  What would I give up with that?

Another good idea! That sounds like it would work. I even thought of making a corrugated hose of some type and a make it go somewhere of my choosing.

I was also trying to get the most water I can into my livewell.  The brochure says something like it holds 20 gallons but with the drain spout coming out the back I can only get about 16 gallons in mine before it overflows. So plugging that and making the drain pipe as tall as possible maybe I can get a few more gallons for my bait to play in.

P.S. make sure you seal where the livewell bucket/tub meets up with the bottom of the deck. With the extra water you are adding you don't want it splashing over the unsealed area into your bilge and making the bilge pump come on constantly. Ask me how I know..haha

On 10/29/2019 at 10:10 AM, Happy Lappy said:

20191016_183633.jpg

20191026_124021.jpg

Happy Lappy, I recommend taking a tape measure to your seadeck ruler to be sure it measures properly.  I had one made recently and it measured anywhere from 0-1/2" off, measuring too long.  And I checked before mounting, so it didn't result from being stretched.

14 minutes ago, Bruce J said:

Happy Lappy, I recommend taking a tape measure to your seadeck ruler to be sure it measures properly.  I had one made recently and it measured anywhere from 0-1/2" off, measuring too long.  And I checked before mounting, so it didn't result from being stretched.

Thanks, I'll check it this weekend.  1/2 and inch is quite a bit.

I'm not doing the work myself, but am adding a NMEA engine cable and backbone to my HPX-T to get the engine data to my Garmin.  I'm mainly interested in getting much better fuel data using the actual burn rate to calculate remaining capacity.  My fuel gauge itself starts flashing empty when I still have narly half a tank, so it is close to worthless.  I added the same feature to my Pathfinder recently for exactly the same reason, and now have tank accuracy to about 1-2 gallons.

• Like 1

Swapped out my 4 infinity speakers with much higher quality JL M3 6.5 speakers a world of difference in quality and loudness. Also installed a quick release bracket for my motorguide xi5, the puck that mounts to the boat is 100% solid but the trolling motor bracket to the puck seems kind of loose so thinking of ideas on that for now.