What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Wow, looks great!  Will be doing same to my 05 2000V this spring after figuring out process.  She's showing her age and needing some TLC inside and out!   Just purchased Farecla 3 stage wax system and will figure things out durring the pending LONGGG New England winter 😩 Not sure what to do with non-skid deck and MFG decals. Any tips?

Liking the T-top, assume custom aftermarket? 

Oh my goodness, when you mentioned t-top I thought I don’t have a t-top. I looked at the picture and I’ll be darned, it looks like a t-top!!

I have no plans for a t-top....This is a strictly fishing machine.👍

All I can say is sanding , buffing and waxing is hard work. Take your time. To do it right you cannot rush the process. Don’t forget to include a mask when you do the sanding and buffing. Presta Super Compound and Meguiars wax.  Makita palm sander & Makita variable speed sander. 

My decals are weathered but you know, I think they give my 20yr old pathfinder character.

Im keeping my decals as is for now. 

I have wheels now!

45CF6664-AA25-4808-BDBA-9EDD4FC9D61D.jpeg

Edited by frogfoot
Added info on compound and wax.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, frogfoot said:

Oh my goodness, when you mentioned t-top I thought I don’t have a t-top. I looked at the picture and I’ll be darned, it looks like a t-top!!

I have no plans for a t-top....This is a strictly fishing machine.👍

All I can say is sanding , buffing and waxing is hard work. Take your time. To do it right you cannot rush the process. Don’t forget to include a mask when you do the sanding and buffing. Presta Super Compound and Meguiars wax.  Makita palm sander & Makita variable speed sander. 

My decals are weathered but you know, I think they give my 20yr old pathfinder character.

Im keeping my decals as is for now. 

I have wheels now!

45CF6664-AA25-4808-BDBA-9EDD4FC9D61D.jpeg

Wow, looks like a brand new rig. Tight work!!

9 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Talk about making yourself nervous when expanding the hole for the new vent!!

remember, it's only fiberglass....not like you are doing surgery on your hand or anything :)

it can be easily fixed by a good glass guy....take your time, measure, measure, then cut.....just be sure you have the right tools to do it.....airsawz, high speed dremels, etc. with NEW blades.

dc

2 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

remember, it's only fiberglass....not like you are doing surgery on your hand or anything :)

it can be easily fixed by a good glass guy....take your time, measure, measure, then cut.....just be sure you have the right tools to do it.....airsawz, high speed dremels, etc. with NEW blades.

dc

I used a rotary tool with a barrel sander attachment. Nice and slow. Sand, fit, sand, refit. Now that I’ve got the hole opening finished, I will put it all back together tonight (it started to get late). 

1 hour ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

I used a rotary tool with a barrel sander attachment. Nice and slow. Sand, fit, sand, refit. Now that I’ve got the hole opening finished, I will put it all back together tonight (it started to get late). 

make sure you bevel the gelcoat around the hole like a funnel to keep it from cracking. 

• Like 2

Waaaay more work than it needed to be!!! The kit comes with 3 different sized hull shims as well as a soft silicone style gasket for outside of the hull. I used the middle sized shim and it was a frog hair too small (needed about an extra turn on the vent threads to get tight). Throw the gasket away. When you attempt to tighten, it wants to ooze from under the vent-to-hull mating area.  The largest shim is much too big to fit in the area inside the hull.  I scratched my head for a while and my only choice was to sand down the large shim to approx 3/16-1/4” bigger than the medium shim. Use 5200 in place of the gasket on outside of hull. 

49893B47-50F0-4B96-8D37-A1573F0911A7.jpeg

CB3CE2D7-3255-4483-B806-7ED9D1347D6B.jpeg

4D028F76-A93C-4640-ACED-011E9A9EB9FA.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jason p said:

They really are the “state of the art” trolling motor plugs, I actually have two on my boat with the second being for my electric kite reel. It’s one of those products that probably will never be improved upon. 

I couldn't agree more! I loved it on my old boat and just added one last weekend to the new boat. Genius idea!

I’ve got a question for you guys that have replaced the hatch gaskets in the back of your Pathfinders. I bought the suggested size (from someone here in another thread) of McMaster-Carr seals. Will be replacing tomorrow. Question is - what was your best method of trimming the end to match as closely as possible to the opposite end where they meet? Also, any suggestion on the best location to place the gasket ‘joint’?

3AE88F81-C0F7-4246-B785-1D858806E5EC.png