What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

18 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Installed the new shark-eye LEDs. I like the look compared to the colored lenses. Now I’ve got to figure out why they aren’t working. Probably a blown fuse. The rocker switch is only about 1.5yrs old.  Never mind the bottle of Blanton’s Black on the trailer.......😎

12426FF5-CAD9-41DA-A922-1400C064396E.jpeg

Man you gotta take  care of the stuff better than than that. At least put it on the deck where it wont be as prone to falling off. 

• Like 1

Replaced the timing belt on the Yamaha F150. Pretty easy and straight forward. Hardest part was holding the flywheel stationary while tightening the puller and retorquing the nut. After breaking a store bought flywheel holder I made my own and things went smoothly after that. 

Old belt was 14 years old and had 640 hours on it. Looked to be in good shape but after seeing the new one the rubber on the old one was definitely a little more hardened and dry compared with new. Should be good for another 10+ years.

• Like 1

Finished  updating my DC charging system.

I know many on here have the stealth DCcharging system but I have used the yandina trollbridge system since 2004 on several boats. They have an unconditional  warranty and have replaced 2 over the years no questions asked. The new trollbridge 36 will charge 3 trolling motor batteries once the cranking battery has reached full charge, however it has a remote that allows you to switch from 36 volt series to 12 volt parallel depending upon your  needs. I have used it with remote for most of the summer but I found out it can also be hardwired to go from series to parallel.  So this weekend I put in a 3 way switch.  Up is 12 volt parallel down is 36 volt series middle is auto.

I also placed 2 LEDs green and red so I know which voltage it is in.

20190804_185918.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 1:35 PM, wthree3 said:

Replaced the timing belt on the Yamaha F150. Pretty easy and straight forward. Hardest part was holding the flywheel stationary while tightening the puller and retorquing the nut. After breaking a store bought flywheel holder I made my own and things went smoothly after that. 

Old belt was 14 years old and had 640 hours on it. Looked to be in good shape but after seeing the new one the rubber on the old one was definitely a little more hardened and dry compared with new. Should be good for another 10+ years.

I just did this on my F250 as well. 130 hours on motor but it is 13 years old. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday had a major blowout on the highway when my trailer wheel fell off. Apparently, I tightened the lug nuts too far and they busted the studs right off at 55 mph. I was 50 miles from home. I replaced that hub with another previously used one I had in my truck to get me off the highway and five miles to the nearest auto parts store where I could replace with a brand new hub and get the rest of the way home. Well, those replaced bearings in that used hub shredded within three miles and tore up the spindle. Ended up having to leave it over night in a parking lot and then put on a roll back and brought home yesterday evening. 

Today I spent nearly all day fixing the spindle, cleaning it up and redoing the threads with a new file I discovered. 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1007068197?pid=487697&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing - Tools%2C Jigs %26 Fixtures&utm_content=487697&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing - Tools%2C Jigs %26 Fixtures-_-General Tool-_-487697&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMuH7eWP5AIVyx-GCh3vDg0GEAQYAyABEgLQ-fD_BwE

Couldn't believe it, figured I would have to get a whole new axle but with that file I was able to clean the threads up to get the new castle nut on and cinch down the bearing. Also replaced the other hub as well. 

Tomorrow I am driving about 75 miles to a dealer to get my Minn Kota fixed. Will double check the wheels and bearings on the way down. 

Lesson learned, make sure to properly tighten lug nuts to specified torque. Also have a brand new spare on hand, not an old one with replaced bearings. 

8 hours ago, smilemaker said:

Cool looking  tool. Good set of taps and dies are still  hard to beat. Most young kids don't have a  clue when you talk tap and dies to make or clean threads.

Yep, I know what you're referring to and went looking for a set but could only find online. Found this tool at the ACE hardware 20 minutes away and with the time crunch, figured what the hell? It worked fantastic

• 4 weeks later...

I know my boat is not an MBG boat but, this is the general forum.  I have spent the last 4 weeks stripping the hull and cleaning all glue off of aluminum.  Today painted the hatches and inserts.   Deck and casting platforms will be carpeted this week.  All new marine ply 20oz cut pile carpet.  Silver color.  New console will be on order this week.

image1-1.jpeg

58895882081__DA05CA67-6B21-4973-87A1-95B819148AE0.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a reasonably priced cable to connect my Garmin MFD unit to the factory installed Yamaha BUS/NMEA set up. I have not ran it on the water yet, but fiddling with it at the house sure is nice. I also updated my Garmin with the latest and greatest software, to0. Lots of new buttons and features for the 7610xsv, that seem to make it even more user friendly.

I plan to install a Battery Tender trolling motor plug by the weekend. I've had it in the shop for a while, but it's been typical Florida with the rain and heat. We have finally seen a cool down (low 90's) up here in NE Florida, which makes being outside in the evening tolerable. Tournament season (for me) is here and I plan to put the 23 through her paces over the next several months.