What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

49 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Batteries had a stamp on them from 2015. Two were great one was not. I found two cores to carry in and kept the good batteries. One for my 15 whaler .. one I just have to maintain until I find a use for it 

Thanks man, I bought a set last year and was curious what kind of life they are getting

Mine were in the boat when I bought it 2 years ago. The previous owner stuck three batteries and a charger in the front hatch. The batteries must have took a beating the boxes were busted and sliding around. I can’t say that damaged one but I can say it didn’t help. I think if you take care of the Batteies you will get better life than mine. Like I said two of three are very strong. 

26 minutes ago, mulligan said:

Finally got some time to add some spacers and make a copy of the TH marine plate for my Bob’s plate.

Nice work Mulligan!  That looks great!  If you didn't have a hole-shot plate on there before, you'll really like the difference it makes.  Please post the results when you run it with the added setback.  👍

30 minutes ago, geeviam said:

Please post the results when you run it with the added setback.  👍

It is hard to say what the hole shot plate did as both were done at the same time.  I am guessing it helped because I would have thought that the spacers would have hurt hole shot and it seemed about the same as running without them.

I have only run the boat once and it was blowing pretty good when I did but I like the spacers on there.  My RPMs dropped about 100 RPMs and my top end went up about 3 mph with the same load.  I might be able to squeeze a tad more if it was not blowing so hard.  I still have slip numbers higher than I would like but it is down 4%.  The boat also felt very planted while running.  Overall happy with how they worked.  I'll play with a few props I have to see how they act 2" back.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mulligan said:

It is hard to say what the hole shot plate did as both were done at the same time.  I am guessing it helped because I would have thought that the spacers would have hurt hole shot and it seemed about the same as running without them.

I have only run the boat once and it was blowing pretty good when I did but I like the spacers on there.  My RPMs dropped about 100 RPMs and my top end went up about 3 mph with the same load.  I might be able to squeeze a tad more if it was not blowing so hard.  I still have slip numbers higher than I would like but it is down 4%.  The boat also felt very planted while running.  Overall happy with how they worked.  I'll play with a few props I have to see how they act 2" back.

That plate is GENIUS! I don't look much at top speed ideas or fiddle with it too much, but man, I LIKE that and it makes perfect sense. What gauge mat'l. did you use Mulligan? I've got some scrap lying around.

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

So, what is the idea of the additional plate under the jack-plate? Does it keep water from coming up between the jack-plate and the transom?

That's right. When you squat during take off, it just traps water, creating drag. Pretty genius idea....and simple as can be. Not sure why it wasn't as obvious as the nose on my face.

10 hours ago, mulligan said:

Mulligan, it looks like the spacers bring your setback to 8", correct?  I like what you did.  I also added a pair of 2.5" setback spacers to my Atlas JP which already had a 5" setback.  The results were similar to yours - better slip numbers and increased speed.  It's not for everyone, as the 8" setback can add some stern squat and a little more draft.  But I like being able to run the boat with the motor raised up higher on the jack plate, while the prop still remains hooked up and the water pump doesn't run dry.

Finally got around to applying Awlcare to the new Awlgrip. This stuff is super easy and keeps the paint looking glossy. I even applied to the gelcoat on sides and bottom as well as the cowling. I’m going to see how it performs bc I did the whole boat in about 30-40 mins. If it seems to perform well on the non- Awlgripped surfaces I’m going to keep adding coats.

C06FAB32-FBFF-48E3-B9F7-FFE409C3285C.jpeg

B9259C59-55D1-4F55-B7EE-29958A92DAE6.jpeg

82125E0E-1120-4D4F-8255-FBE14E6F4EC0.jpeg

• Like 2

Keep us posted on how well it lasts.   I used sharkhide on the gelcoat of my last MA, an '87 and was really pleased with how well it shined things up and kept the hull looking new again (this was after I wet sanded and polished the original gel coat).   It sounds like awlcare application is similar - with sharkhide, it's a wipe on one time deal.   

I am curious what my 87 looks like now and how well that sharkhide is doing - I applied it back in 2015.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:42 AM, mulligan said:

Finally got some time to add some spacers and make a copy of the TH marine plate for my Bob’s plate. 

529B5EDE-E614-4B88-B865-38E275197D2E.thumb.jpeg.365d09b42533bb0951f73823d3ca5220.jpegB03DEA92-565D-48F9-ACB4-98C9B09CEB3B.thumb.jpeg.88c4021ef4dab67d1f64fb46033ac93f.jpeg

Where may one find one of these for a bobs plate. I have looked on bobs machine website and also atlas site but to no avail. Maybe i was just looking for the wrong thing but couldnt find it on either site. Any help would be appreciated 

thanks