What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, HoneyB said:

Hope you do not mind that boat is too pretty not to turn.. she is a beauty

67434965-7B5D-4739-A19F-8C11B6ECC136.jpeg.1c7f75d0bd53e30dbb339d4ead6be8ec.jpg

Something about those northern bay boats!  I bought my 8 year old bay boat out of Connecticut with 79 hours on the meter and stored indoors it's entire life. 

My buddy bought this 39 hour, 6 year boat out of Delaware.   And the seller towed it down to Hilton Head Island for him at no charge!  Both were original owners and both experienced health problems.

I really don't understand people not being interested in a boat if it is out of their area code!  ESPECIALLY if the boat is right and right priced!!!!!!!!!!  And both were!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JEM said:

Something about those northern bay boats!  I bought my 8 year old bay boat out of Connecticut with 79 hours on the meter and stored indoors it's entire life. 

My buddy bought this 39 hour, 6 year boat out of Delaware.   And the seller towed it down to Hilton Head Island for him at no charge!  Both were original owners and both experienced health problems.

I really don't understand people not being interested in a boat if it is out of their area code!  ESPECIALLY if the boat is right and right priced!!!!!!!!!!  And both were!

Good looking boat ! 

• Like 1

Called the police at 6 this morning because some low rent sorry piece of ———— came in the yard and stole the simrad and everything that went with it. Wires, transducer head unit.  There has been a rash of boat items stolen in the past couple of weeks here in the neighborhood.  Hopefully the police can catch them. 

I still had the box so sherrifs office has model and serial number for it

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Northfl said:

Called the police at 6 this morning because some low rent sorry piece of ———— came in the yard and stole the simrad and everything that went with it. Wires, transducer head unit.  There has been a rash of boat items stolen in the past couple of weeks here in the neighborhood.  Hopefully the police can catch them. 

Dang... they also took all the wires, transducers , etc ?  That's BAD !  We shoot thieves in Georgia. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 7:50 PM, Northfl said:

Ditto...where....

dc

Jacksonville. 

Only reason it was on the boat was i had a connector that required a pair of pliers to remove it. With all of the stuff thats been going missing in the neighborhood someone is rigging up a boat. Buddie had all of his safety equipment stolen and another had a trolling motor stolen. 

Yes they pulled the wires, transducer and even the nylon board i made a while back and posted earlier in this thread to cover the previous owners holes in top of the console. 

At least they didnt tear anything up when they snatched it. Iw woulda been a curb stompin for sure had i caught them

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a Riptide Ulterra iPilot in 2016 for my maiden voyage to the ENP.  Little did I realize that I could not adapt a ducer to the Ulterra with much ease.  After much research and savings, I found the setup I wanted (Humminbird Helix with 360 imaging) and found an aftermarket fabricator not far from me that developed a way to mount 360 ducers to the Ulterra.  Drove over today and had the guy mount mine for me.  Thank goodness I did because there were some slight differences in the Riptide and the freshwater version.  He had to make some mods to my bracket to get the mount just right.  The only issue is the frame is raw aluminum bar stock.  It hasn't been treated but the other hardware is stainless.  May have to go get it powder coated for using in salt.  I don't like all of the wires but I've been able to clean it up fairly good given my application.  I could probably drill another access right next to the Ulterra base to run the wires thru but that's just another hole.  I don't mind running the wires into the anchor locker for now.  

As mentioned in another thread, the BalZout Mount is fantastic.  Super Strong!!!

Anyway, this is what I did to my boat today...

IMG_9802.JPG

IMG_9804.JPG

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, Lap it Up said:

Finally got around to covering my swiss cheese console.  Acrylic was a lot easier than trying to glass all those holes and match gel coat.  Next is a custom short windshield I had made and two SS cup holders. 

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

Got the cup holders installed.  Some day I will get around to the short windshield! LOL

IMG_2914.PNG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On the early morning of October 10, I tried to close off all the seacocks to allow the boat to fill with rainwater. I had to use a hammer and pipe to close them!!

I recommend exercising all valves and seacocks on a regular basis!!

yes the pathfinder survived 120+ winds with minimal damage, mostly shingles striking the hull leaving scratches and tar marks. 

E35235EE-DAD0-4BF4-AB6A-356D4B2E8AF3.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

On Thursday I planned on putting a new starting/house battery in and also changing the fluid in the Power Pole. Took out the C-monster to drain the fluid and clean the screens. While moving the hydraulic lines I snapped the blue one, my bad luck didn’t stop there.  I took the pump off the reservoir to clean the screens and during reassembly I  ended up stripping one of the screws. I called JL Marine/Power Pole and they said they would send new lines, reservoir, and a quart of fluid... Terrific customer service!!!!  The package came Friday afternoon, they even included new screens. Saturday morning I decide to finish what I had started.  Cleaned up the compartment, moved the battery tray so things aren’t so cramped in there and I’m good to go for now.  I’ve had to use Power Pole customer service before and they are a no hassle top shelf company. 

EC3BDF6A-7E04-45EB-85DB-16C90A3CE2A4.jpeg

703B1846-E773-4221-8E42-E6E4469E097E.jpeg

B1E256D0-6629-4A06-97F5-8E75DA6C6D5E.jpeg

64B09256-E102-425B-A047-E8B6A22B1DAA.jpeg

7 hours ago, craSSh said:

I’ve had to use Power Pole customer service before and they are a no hassle top shelf company. 

No doubt....

I need to do the same...it's been a few years since I have changed out the oil....what I do is I ordered about 8-10 of the compression inserts (actually carry them on the boat) in the event I have a problem and need to raise the PP.  This way, if you disconnect the hydraulic to release the pressure, you can seal it back  up if it able to be restarted.

Yep...if something is going to snap, it will when you don't want it to do so...I had something similar happen many times, and each time, PP would have stuff to me by the next day....incredible customer service.

BTW, i see you have a supervisor helping you :)

PS: I see you are using the battery expanders...can't remember the name of them, but, I saw them on Ship Shape...i have them also.  Best $40 or so I have spent, everything is cleanly attached, the bronze connections are perfectly suited for transmission of current, each connection has it's own post....no more piling connector on top of connector.  i do connect my on board charger connections directly to the batter to insure ease in charging via the smaller posts that you can see next to the battery expander.

For others....here is a pic....

IMG_9395.thumb.jpg.c36f6b9b57cc284e3924509c4613dacc.jpg

dc

6 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I need to do the same...it's been a few years since I have changed out the oil.

BTW, i see you have a supervisor helping you :)

PS: I see you are using the battery expanders...can't remember the name of them, but, I saw them on Ship Shape...i have them also.  Best $40 or so I have spent

dc

The PP was extremely noisy last time out, so I read I needed to change/add fluid.  My lab is such a good boy, he always waits patiently while I work on the boat... he gets an occasional frisbee, ball, stick, or dummy throw while waiting.  He loves riding in the boat too.  The Terminal Tamer is a good invention, I also saw it on Ship Shape and ordered one shortly after...another one of those "Why didn't I think of that" inventions.

62EE39A5-E672-4E31-BC1A-5E77FCBD666A.jpeg

• Like 1

So, why does it always seem that if you think it will only take a few hours, it ends up over a few days :)

Took 5 days off over the holidays and was able to get caught up on a bunch of stuff...garage clean up, family time, NO feeeesssshing, but, time to get some upgrades on da-bote.

Several things to get done....

change out the lower unit oil and spray clean and then coat the 1995 Yamadog 2 smoker......last trip she ran like a champ after I had just changed out the plugs and all the filters....oil looked good, engine clean....next.....

IMG_9630.thumb.jpg.b3c2f545b929bea7c2d4b6945505262d.jpg

needed to add a new Jack lift and was tired of the light weight ones....went to West Marine, picked up a 1500 lb one, big tire, gotta love it.....no more breaking my arms trying to lift the front of the trailer...

IMG_9628.thumb.jpg.30f7c92f47e296aef63e774f26c3b01c.jpg

Next, was having some potential low voltage issues with the Interstate marine cranking battery....it was two years old....so, I decided to roll the dice and went over to Home Cheap and picked up a Nautilis Series 24 wet cell battery that meets all my specs for the 115 reserve capacity and cranking amps....it's dual purpose, and as I use the powerpole's a lot during the day, I thought, what the heck, for $89 why not....it had good reviews, and since I have a commercial account, they have always been really good about replacement of anything going wrong....I go wet cell as that is what the Yamadog written battery recommendations state, as well, the pros at the boat center have told me on some of the older 2 smokers with stators, they can run into electrical issues when you use an AGM....so, do what I'm recommended, never had a problem with my other skinny mini and it's battery wet cell....let's see....

Also, cleaned up the battery tenders and life is good.....let's hope.....

IMG_9654a.thumb.jpg.d22fd86f23c53566afe5f80784a88a9f.jpg

Been meaning to fix my stern light....finally had a few minutes, or so I thought to pull the wire and fix it...well, as normal, screws stripped, wires could not be easily pulled, the list goes on, so, what I thought was going to be 30 minutes, ended up being about 1 hour......ugggggh....but, I did a temporary switch to the bus, next year, I will probably be re-wiring the skiff in the winter and will be doing a complete re-wire...so, for now, this was the simple solution.....

Ran it to the bus and a simple toggle on/off to the fuse panel...I rarely use the stern light or the running lights which are on a similar system, so, no big deal...functional, rigged safely with fuses, etc.

The big gaping hole in the pic is where the 1995 lowrance puck was located....when I do the refurb next year, will be sea-decking a few things and cleaning up all the dings, etc...

IMG_9649.thumb.jpg.26269d7cfdce03713f94c44971092488.jpg

IMG_9650.thumb.jpg.133aa715082e346c3df2ecd5deb30eab.jpg

TEMPORARY TOGGLE SWITCH........

IMG_9652.thumb.jpg.f0673dcc6b9591e1c9c611cfa9a14606.jpg

YEP....IT WORKS :)

IMG_9653.thumb.jpg.c1826c4bf25f1ce6b737982fbaac7e74.jpg

NEXT TO ADD SOME HATCH STAYS.....DECIDED TO MAKE MY OWN....EASY PEASY...NOT SURE I'M 100% HAPPY...BUT, NEXT GO, I'LL DO THEM A BIT BETTER....

ALL THE GOODIES TO MAKE THEM....SOME STAINLESS WIRE AND A SMALL COVER HOSE FROM WM....

IMG_9638.thumb.jpg.a908242f7a789a3a7a262d26b99714b1.jpg

OF COURSE.....YOU NEED LOTS OF CRIMPS, TUBING, SCREWS, ETC ETC....A BUNCH OF STUFF I FINALLY ORGANIZED, ACCUMULATED OVER 15 YEARS OF BOATING :)

IMG_9640.thumb.jpg.412f6827ed08326f45176fa8a9c81739.jpg

IMG_9641.thumb.jpg.1442f6bf4d399b0e38bad5e8ec9dbd85.jpg

MADE THE ENDS.....THEN WENT TO THE SKIFF AND LET CAPT DEWALT AND HIS FRIENDS DO DA-DRILLING THANG :)

IMG_9642.thumb.jpg.79480d791c2939e1915b2a2b2cfc0245.jpg

IMG_9643.thumb.jpg.7f636e41bb7864f10a314d5da257bab4.jpg

IMG_9644.thumb.jpg.c9a1186270b195d016c7007c540a7232.jpg

THE SCREW HEAD COUNTER SUNK A BIT SO IT'S CONNECT UNDER....I PUT THEM BOTH ON THE INSIDE SINCE IN NORMALLY LOAD THE BOAT FROM THE OUTSIDE OF THE GUNNELS AND DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE THEM BE IN THE WAY.  I WILL BE ADDING SOME SILICONE/4200 WHEN I HAVE A FEW MINUTES TO SEAL ALL THE SCREW HOLES A BIT MORE....

IMG_9645.thumb.jpg.30fed16f0243f427bdb89939e255f3ce.jpg

DID THE SAME THING TO THE STERN HATCH WHERE I NORMALLY PUT THE FISH SOFT SIDED COOLER....

IMG_9647.thumb.jpg.a772677cb310579b467340a7702ee4cf.jpg

TOP VIEW...RECESSED SCREW HEAD WITH A FINISHING WASHER.....

IMG_9648.thumb.jpg.2f5439d97461864914822125b1320c5c.jpg

ALSO ADDED A SPRING FOR THE UNDERSEAT HATCH....TIRED OF BANGING MY HANDS :(

IMG_9657.thumb.jpg.520f6a1860d1cadb55eefe64e6275699.jpg

THE LARGE HOLES FILLED WITH GAS CAPS IS WHERE THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD A SPECIAL BACKREST...

AND OF COURSE....GOTTA HAVE A MATCHING BUCKET AND COOLER....EVEN IF THEY ARE FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS.....

Ok, now before you all start throwing stone....(LOL)....I got to tell you, the Yetti bucket is really worth the money, at least to me...I was tired of the stupid orange home depot and other buckets flopping around the deck (i use a lot of shrimp and popping corks) the Yetti has a leaded base with a rubber cover...1/3 filled with water and stable, i can run with it and doesn't move....as well, it's easy on the hands....yep, it's not cheap....$39, but, what the heck, it's only money :) ...plus, look what I saved by going with the Engle Cooler....$149 vs Yetti $250 for a similar size....the 25 Qt Engle, holds enough water for a full day on the water and I keep our lunches in a yes.....Yettti Hopper under the seat with a few gel packs and lunch stays cold all day......I also use it to travel for my special diet (lost over 55 lbs so far by carrying my own food when I travel and go to lunch at work)....so, it's worth every penny for me.....

more upgrades to come maybe today....I have to replace a few lights on the trailer.....but, that'll only take a few minutes.....right ?????

IMG_9658.thumb.jpg.91b8e8ea107baa440ac2d5294b48e433.jpg

• Like 1