What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

So while waiting on the battery for the screw gun to charge i figured i would add to the thread

i dabble in making holsters out of a material called holstex, and with not having a real good place to put bumpers over the gunnels i came up with an idea.

The guy i bought the boat from had a 1x4 painted white and drilled out to mount the simrad to the console.  And being not quite as thrifty as him and really didnt feel like driving across town for starboard i ran up to the nearby sams club and got a cutting board to cutdown instead. I cut it to size and ran it through the router to put a 1/4” round over corner on it. Will post some pics as soon as the dang battery charges and its in place. 

I also found a handy dandy little place to make a make shift bench that seems to hold clamped together pieces just right for drilling and marking things out. Its a trash can, ine of the fancy ones through the city with a flip lid and wheels

9BAA9607-47AF-436E-8FE6-8D7BF5797B2C.jpeg

6B2726D4-A27F-46A2-9244-38B60557F454.jpeg

E2A0F336-43FB-4923-BF22-E02D887D6D6B.jpeg

18E42D2E-0699-4070-9AEC-6CE8779A7FA8.jpeg

A7AECF59-0164-443A-A346-CF1C4555146B.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Northfl said:

So here it is all finished up

image.jpg

Looking good!

I am in the process of doing the exact thing to my 21 MA dash in order to add my new 94sv.  I removed all the old stuff including the huge factory compass.  I am going to use black acrylic.  I'll take some pics when i'm done.   

55 minutes ago, whichwaysup said:

Still waiting.   Surgery should be starting soon on the MA.   Man I miss that thing!  

I don’t know how you have made it this far!   Maybe Enterprise has a boat rental division.  Or you could check into membership in one of those “boat clubs!”  😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JEM said:

I don’t know how you have made it this far!   Maybe Enterprise has a boat rental division.  Or you could check into membership in one of those “boat clubs!”  😀

Your danged reports in South Atlantic aren't helping much!   I have half a mind to drive down there and make you take me fishing just for all the torture you've imposed on me!   It's  been tough, but the weather and wind here have been so miserable, it was do-able.  Now it's starting to lay down and it's getting harder.   30 days from now, it is possible i'll have her back, but it could take longer.

• Like 1

Changed out all of the toggle switches. Boat is only five years old and just about every one either broke or came apart. And I keep the console covered and out of the elements. 

I replaced them with commercial grade marine switches from a place in Seattle. Half the price than West marines best and installed the rubber covers. These switches look and feel like they may last years. I don’t understand why the manufacturer doesn’t install them???

I was just gonna change out my fuel/water filter and put on my transducer spray shield.  But the filter was stuck on there.  I ended up taking the bracket off to get the filter off. Then decided to just get a whole new bracket.  Then I had to relocate the bracket due to the Yamaha filters being taller than the previous filter. So my 30 min job ended up taking a few hours...running to the store a few times and taking breaks. After the fuel/water filter debacle the transducer spray shield took all of 5 min to install.

1 hour ago, craSSh said:

I was just gonna change out my fuel/water filter and put on my transducer spray shield.  But the filter was stuck on there.  I ended up taking the bracket off to get the filter off. Then decided to just get a whole new bracket.  Then I had to relocate the bracket due to the Yamaha filters being taller than the previous filter. So my 30 min job ended up taking a few hours...running to the store a few times and taking breaks. After the fuel/water filter debacle the transducer spray shield took all of 5 min to install.

Old tractor trick, take a screwdriver and a hammer and hammer the screw driver through the filter, you can get a better grip on it. I just changed mine and luckily I have good strap wrenches to break it lose.

• Like 2

Pulled the intake and replaced all the SS reeds with CCMS carbon reeds.  Also inspected the crank and bearings as she is 17 years old.  Everything looks spot on and super clean.  Will be starting her up this evening and re-setting the carbs and re-tuning. 

Broke a linkage clip so have that on order along with some new Mercury tubing to replace all the existing tubing for the priming of the system.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2018 at 7:18 PM, mustang190 said:

Changed out all of the toggle switches. Boat is only five years old and just about every one either broke or came apart. And I keep the console covered and out of the elements. 

I replaced them with commercial grade marine switches from a place in Seattle. Half the price than West marines best and installed the rubber covers. These switches look and feel like they may last years. I don’t understand why the manufacturer doesn’t install them???

Nicely done.  Got the link to them?