What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

On 2/13/2018 at 9:16 PM, BradM said:

Well, I sent the gauges out to the gauge guy. I couldn't work out a time to meet up with him, but he's only about 30 minutes south of me. Also sent my prop out to Texas for a hub and a tune up. Steve's Custom Props does a great job and I've always been pleased with his work. My head unit took a dump on me, so I sent it out to Alpine to be repaired. Fingers crossed it's a minor issue.   

I plan to clean up the trailer this weekend and tidy up the bilge. As torn as I am, the days of owning this rig are coming to a close. I hope to fish her one more time before listing, but with vacation quickly approaching and a a new boat on the not so distant horizon, the window seems to be quickly closing. I'll post pics as soon as things are back together. 

HYD, it's almost spring, better wax that rig again! 

Dang it, Brad. All that work into yours and now I want to buy it (again)! I should've waited 8 months to buy, but I'm an impatient idiot. And no, I'm not waxing for a while! It's prob got enough on there for several seasons. I need to get it over to the gel coat guy so he can patch the mounting holes from the platform removal.

• Like 1

Today was productive, but I had hoped to get more accomplished. I threw on a new set of trailer lights I had in the garage, which is almost an annual thing anymore. I bought a new live well motor with intentions of replacing the old one. Once I removed the old cartridge, I hit the wires on my cranking battery and it worked! Thought I had a bad switch, but that tested fine. I dug into the wiring and saw that someone (previous owner) had butt connected the wires a ways upstream, the connections had corroded pretty bad and we're only sending 4-5 VDC downstream. Clipped those off and made new connections. All is well in the world. 

Really wanted to tackle the dash panel, but wasn't mentally prepared to do so. I really dislike wiring....So I sanded, gouged and prepped some areas that I wanted to touch up the gel coat. It kicked right at dark, so I will sand it this weekend sometime. I also changed the lower unit oil, wiped down the bilge, and made a call to Alpine. My head unit is a-okay! A clean up on the inside, a new circuit board and she's good as new. It should be back by the end off the week. 

HYD, they don't have a direct replacement for our boats...or didn't. GEM is not too far from me (5 miles). Let me know if you want me to put eyes on anything there for you. They work well....they almost hold up the forward hatches that I made out of 3/4 Starboard. If I had 3 instead of 2, it would be perfect. 

I tackled the switch panel today...not a bad task at all. I sent my gauges out to the gauge saver a week or so ago, and he just got new grey background instead of the original style green. Looks 10 times better if you ask me. I polished the faces before I sent them out, but thought they could be better. When I got them back I got after them with 2200 and then the buffer. Finished off with a coat of Rejex. Finally some pics worth sharing.

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

Removed the oil tank and drained the remainder of the oil from prior owner. Not entirely sure what it was but motor ran good. Just wanted to ensure tank and filter were good. Tank looked good...no sludge or anything on the bottom. Filter looked good but I cleaned it out anyway. Refilled with 2 gallons Yamalube 2M and reinstalled. Cleaned out live well pump strainer while i was in there. Need to send out my gauges too.   

It's still a work in progress (only starboard side complete) but after having one of my old running lights go out, I decided to replace them with LEDs.  The Magic Tilt retailer suggested looking into the Dot lights.  He liked them because they had a ground that runs to the harness.  I went ahead and purchased the LEDs to match the original running lights as well as some of the LED Dots.  Don't know what I was thinking but I ordered a few too many.  I guess I thought I'd need more because they were so small but they are really bright.  Wanted to make sure my trailer was visible after dark as that is typically when I trailer the boat.  Had a few scares where I thought maybe someone didn't see the trailer.   They should now.  Put the spare lights in my guide on poles.  

The lights in the pole are daisy chained because they are pretty easy access but everything else, including the tail lights and the rear running lights all go in home runs to a terminal box at the front of the trailer.  

IMG_6607.jpeg

IMG_6606.jpeg

IMG_6609.jpeg

IMG_6608.jpeg

IMG_6610.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/24/2018 at 7:53 AM, BradM said:

HYD, they don't have a direct replacement for our boats...or didn't. GEM is not too far from me (5 miles). Let me know if you want me to put eyes on anything there for you. They work well....they almost hold up the forward hatches that I made out of 3/4 Starboard. If I had 3 instead of 2, it would be perfect. 

Rubble, where did you get the dot lights from. What gauge wire are you using. I take for granted that it is tinned 

• 2 weeks later...

My head unit came back from Alpine, yesterday. She's got a clean bill of health and is ready for many more years of service. I got'er back in the dash and wired up last night. Sounds 10x's better than the Bluetooth module I ran in her absence. If all goes as planned, I'll be listing my 1900v for sale here, this weekend.

19Console.png

• Like 1

Lot's of projects have been going on with my new to me 16 Bonefisher. Hopefully pics to come soon, phone took a dump yesterday two days out of warranty. 

Today's projects--- Install Totalscan transducer, need to take it for a test run this afternoon to make sure mounting height is correct. Put hose  clamps on livewell and bilge pump connections.

Recent/since picking up boat.

New Tach, smooth/clean up steering, wash/wax, fix wiring connections, bluetooth receiver for stereo, new batterytender connection for TM, install ball valve  on livewell thru hull, new bennett trim tab  pump, fix all the old screw holes.