HewesYourDaddy

What did you do to your boat today?

gonna be a busy week, finally have enough "little jobs" to justify putting a day into working on the boat instead of using it.  gonna blow like hell this Saturday, so probably a good day to get 'em done.  In no particular order:

1) replace TM plug with a battery tender plug

2) address the starboard trim tab that has suddenly decided to stop working

3) check/fill tilt/trim fluid

4)  Figure out whats going on with my inconsistent bilge pump

5) check my livewell pumps which gave me issues Saturday.  

Nothing like sudden temp swings to bring out the gremlins!

I finally got around to mounting and wiring an all-around light on the back end of the t-top. Snaking the wire through the top tubes was tricky, but finally got it. The second challenge was figuring out how to wire the switch so the light came on with the nav lights and alone when at anchor. 

And... changed out spark plugs except this time I randomly decided to test each connector (boot) with a voltage meter. Turns out one of them was dead, meaning I've been down a cylinder for who knows how long! Marina MIke's in Ft. Myers was the only local place that had one on Saturday, so drove an hour to get it. Amazing difference now that she is literally "firing on all cylinders!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nicecast said:

I finally got around to mounting and wiring an all-around light on the back end of the t-top. Snaking the wire through the top tubes was tricky, but finally got it. The second challenge was figuring out how to wire the switch so the light came on with the nav lights and alone when at anchor. 

And... changed out spark plugs except this time I randomly decided to test each connector (boot) with a voltage meter. Turns out one of them was dead, meaning I've been down a cylinder for who knows how long! Marina MIke's in Ft. Myers was the only local place that had one on Saturday, so drove an hour to get it. Amazing difference now that she is literally "firing on all cylinders!"

Nicecast,

Could you give a little more description on how you tested each plug boot? Between the boot and the plug? Between boot connector and ground? Etc.

I’m doing plugs this weekend on my F250.

Many Thanks!

The "boot" that fits over the head of your plug contains a small connector, like a butt connector. The boot twists off the end of the wire by turning it counterclockwise. On the wire side of the boot is a male screw. You have to look inside the rubber end of the boot to see the screw. Use a multimeter touching the screw on one side and the female metal area that fits over your plug head on the other side. The correct miliolm (I think?) measurement varies by plug. I found mine in the manual.

To reinstall the boot once you have tested it you simply fit it with some moderate pressure onto the end of the wire and screw it down until you feel some resistance in the wire.

I need to replace one of my spindles on a Tie Down torsion axle.  The stainless lip, where the seal rides, is split and tearing up the seal every time.  This axle is 8 years old, the spindle castle nut is pretty rusted.  Anyone have experience getting these replaceable spindles off?  I'm planning on having to cut the old rusted spindle nut off.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:02 AM, RodWorks said:

I need to replace one of my spindles on a Tie Down torsion axle.  The stainless lip, where the seal rides, is split and tearing up the seal every time.  This axle is 8 years old, the spindle castle nut is pretty rusted.  Anyone have experience getting these replaceable spindles off?  I'm planning on having to cut the old rusted spindle nut off.

Air chisel worked for me