What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Very nice!   Love that feeling of running in a boat you love.

Speaking of which, I got a quote this a.m. on the next part of the job to get mine back on the water - putting the rear deck back on and putting her back together.   It came in about what I expected, so I will get her done.   The shop reinforced that they couldn't be more impressed with the work done to fix and reinforce the stringers, which is music to my ears.   They will be grinding down the area beneath the stringer over the next week to fix the cracks that the delamination caused.   I'll post pics up in my thread as I get them. 

Rewiring will start at the beginning of Feb, and I was able to find some replacement LED bow lights (the old ones were getting pretty corroded.   I may go ahead and have the thru-hull transducer hooked up again so I never lose depth when running - which happens when I am am running WOT with my side scan xducer. 

In the meantime, work continues on the rest of the boat.  I'll be replacing the hubs on the trailer and keeping the old ones as spares for long trips.   Got the parts to replace the upper seals in the lower unit of the engine.   Still debating on whether to upgrade my ipilot with the bluetooth/more accurate one or whether to invest in a power pole, or whether to install a jackplate.   A lot will depend on what it ultimately takes to put the boat back on the water. 

It's been a year and 3 months since I first discovered this issue.   I still wonder if it will ever actually be done.   I hear that the fish stocks have dramatically increased since I've been land locked, though  :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bloch776 said:

Wet sanded the entire inside and started the buffing/waxing process. You can see how chalky it was in the picture. Hope to finish it out before snook season opens up again.

F97519E8-9B0E-4E31-8204-92ACC00BF8DA.jpeg

I’ve had great luck buffing with aqua blue compounds. I’m a rookie but thar stuff was very easy to get the old gelcoat shining again. I’ve got to get some small drill attachments to do some of the right spots on the rest of the inside of my boat

16 hours ago, Bloch776 said:

Wet sanded the entire inside and started the buffing/waxing process. You can see how chalky it was in the picture. Hope to finish it out before snook season opens up again.

boat is looking great. i do not know what you are polishing with but i love the 3m prefect it polish and wax. you can get it in light/med/heavy cutting ... i have used the light cut with great results. i think the medium cut would work really well too

Replaced broken plastic bilge thru Hull with stainless - 18 Bayfisher

I wanted to post this as I spent what seemed like hours looking in the forum and never found anything on a replacement - but found some great posts along the way!

Access was through a hole I had previously made in the battery compartment for installing lifting eyes on transom.  Used a screw in 4” deck plate for recover.  Had to remove hatch, battery and deck plate housing to get enough leverage to reach and work on it.  Fitting was partially broken on outside of hull.  Once I had my hand on the fitting a very small turn to left and right and the fitting fell apart.

inside pic of old fitting.

038AA5E3-00C2-4223-85E4-BF559D224C1F.thumb.png.b9f17fab74f775f80541798dd883d3de.png

Outside pic

04E410FA-B6A2-49D6-B160-B05E41A30F0C.thumb.jpeg.e8c074a9f80067339c3d33dd67799714.jpeg

Stainless replacement

70F3E6F4-C22B-4569-848E-F7BACC97D70F.thumb.jpeg.f5e823e6ccfc8d390d529722c687afb2.jpeg48941BF2-27AE-4769-91ED-6C293058D0C4.thumb.jpeg.950ecde76545aabb75391c8197da3a55.jpeg

1E943419-786B-43A2-B0A1-E8C8BF2F0AE2.thumb.jpeg.eef41d8678ca5c4e385517807d637848.jpeg

I used a stainless thru Hull fitting with a screw on composite 90 degree fitting setup as this looked as close to the original hole measurements and the cast stainless fittings that were out there made me believe I might have had to step drill out the original hole, which I was really trying to avoid.  After removal of old fitting and excess sealant, there was more clearance than what I believed and the hole was maybe large enough for a cast stainless 90 degree fitting, but I’m happy with the result and notably the last time I should be worrying about it.

• Like 2