HewesYourDaddy

What did you do to your boat today?

Well, work starts up again Monday on my MA 18.   First stop:   Repair the crack on the bottom that was caused by the delaminated stringer (stringers have already been fixed).   While that is being done and before the rear deck is put back on, she will be totally re-wired, soup-to-nuts.    New bow lights, new pumps, new plumbing.   In the meantime, the 100 hr service has been done on the motor, and we'll be replacing the upper seals in the lower unit shortly.   

Next stop will be putting the deck back on and re-rigging.   

God willing, I'll have a boat again sometime this year!   

• Like 4

Off she goes.  

1) address crack on the bottom

2) complete rewire

3) replace fuel sending unit

4)  Asess next phase

While thisbis happenjng, I will be doing some worknon the trailer, replacing bearings, potentially extending the bunks a bit.  Stay tuned.  Shouldbbe soke updates to the resto thread

Ive been to hell and back on this over the past year, but at least I know she is better and stronger than new now.  Will be a happy guy when she is back in one piece.

• Like 3

Very nice!   Love that feeling of running in a boat you love.

Speaking of which, I got a quote this a.m. on the next part of the job to get mine back on the water - putting the rear deck back on and putting her back together.   It came in about what I expected, so I will get her done.   The shop reinforced that they couldn't be more impressed with the work done to fix and reinforce the stringers, which is music to my ears.   They will be grinding down the area beneath the stringer over the next week to fix the cracks that the delamination caused.   I'll post pics up in my thread as I get them. 

Rewiring will start at the beginning of Feb, and I was able to find some replacement LED bow lights (the old ones were getting pretty corroded.   I may go ahead and have the thru-hull transducer hooked up again so I never lose depth when running - which happens when I am am running WOT with my side scan xducer. 

In the meantime, work continues on the rest of the boat.  I'll be replacing the hubs on the trailer and keeping the old ones as spares for long trips.   Got the parts to replace the upper seals in the lower unit of the engine.   Still debating on whether to upgrade my ipilot with the bluetooth/more accurate one or whether to invest in a power pole, or whether to install a jackplate.   A lot will depend on what it ultimately takes to put the boat back on the water. 

It's been a year and 3 months since I first discovered this issue.   I still wonder if it will ever actually be done.   I hear that the fish stocks have dramatically increased since I've been land locked, though  :)

• Like 1

Progress WhichWay....hang in there, she's coming together nicely. If you're ever down in Jacksonville, FL, let me know and I'll "un-land lock" ya. And yes, the space bar is creating emojis.

• Like 1