What did you do to your boat today?

HewesYourDaddy

Eureka!!!!!   Amazing!!!!    Thanks to Brad M, who had a great write up on his new prop, I got lucky and found a Mercury Racing Bravo 1 FS, 20” prop on another forum for less than half the price of a new one.  The seller said he had less than 10 hours on the prop.  I went to West Matine and bought a hub kit, and dropped the boat in the water this afternoon.   The prop I have been running was a PT OFX3  19”.  The results were nothing less than phenomenal!  With just me, a full tank of gas, and normal fishing gear minus a small bait tank load of shrimp, my top speed increased from 55-56 mph to 59-60.    My mpg at a 40 mph cruise increased from 3.1 mpg to 3.7 mpg!!!!  WOW!  Hard for me to comprehend the difference!  And lastly, it virtually stopped my mid range porpoising!  Top rpm with some engine trimming was 5900-6000.  I forgot to check what affect the jack plate might have.  Saving some more fun for tomorrow.   

untitled.png

I feel the need to bring the prop in every night, give it a nice polish,  and tuck it in bed.   I think there might be something wrong with me........... 

• Like 3

I have been trying to quietly say mercury props are pretty awesome. Taking my pt ofx3 off for tempest and enertia made the boat handle totally differently. Bow  rides high .. they whole boat is lifted out of the water very little  Pourpoising. I run 53mph with a 200 sho and t top on my 22 TRS 

Glad you found one that works great for you too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JEM said:

Eureka!!!!!   Amazing!!!!    Thanks to Brad M, who had a great write up on his new prop, I got lucky and found a Mercury Racing Bravo 1 FS, 20” prop on another forum for less than half the price of a new one.  The seller said he had less than 10 hours on the prop.  I went to West Matine and bought a hub kit, and dropped the boat in the water this afternoon.   The prop I have been running was a PT OFX3  19”.  The results were nothing less than phenomenal!  With just me, a full tank of gas, and normal fishing gear minus a small bait tank load of shrimp, my top speed increased from 55-56 mph to 59-60.    My mpg at a 40 mph cruise increased from 3.1 mpg to 3.7 mpg!!!!  WOW!  Hard for me to comprehend the difference!  And lastly, it virtually stopped my mid range porpoising!  Top rpm with some engine trimming was 5900-6000.  I forgot to check what affect the jack plate might have.  Saving some more fun for tomorrow.   

Those bugs are going to hurt at 60 mph......looks as though a full helmet with face shield is now necessary for those early Fall runs before daylight ...those are some impressive numbers JEM .

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JEM said:

Thats awesome! Now you have me wanting to try one....

Ryan, I would not believe the difference in every aspect of performance if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.  Even the sound of the engine is different.......like I have a turbine under the cowling.  Even around the dock, the 4 blade (compared to the 3 blade) is like being in 4 wheel drive.  I can’t recommend the Bravo 1 FS enough.  Those guys at Mercury Racing obviously know their stuff!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JEM said:

Ryan, I would not believe the difference in every aspect of performance if I didn’t see it with my own eyes.  Even the sound of the engine is different.......like I have a turbine under the cowling.  Even around the dock, the 4 blade (compared to the 3 blade) is like being in 4 wheel drive.  I can’t recommend the Bravo 1 FS enough.  Those guys at Mercury Racing obviously know their stuff!

I feel like a recovering addict. I've been a couple years clean from this prop game and one post is all it takes to bring me back in. And now to the internet I go.....

Merry Christmas!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Glad to hear that prop is running well, JEM! It means a lot when you have has many hours on your set up as you do, and come back with the same enthusiasm as I did when I got the right one under my rig. The difference is simply indescribable.

Hi Mulligan, my name is Brad and I'm here because.......:D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BradM said:

Glad to hear that prop is running well, JEM! It means a lot when you have has many hours on your set up as you do, and come back with the same enthusiasm as I did when I got the right one under my rig. The difference is simply indescribable.

Hi Mulligan, my name is Brad and I'm here because.......:D

LOL.   I actually got my wife to allow me to go "fishing" for a couple of hours early yesterday afternoon while she and the rest of her family were gathering at her parent's house........like on Christmas Day!  But actually, I was just going to run the boat for fun.  Fishing was just my excuse!  I knew she wouldn't understand running a new prop!  I chunked some plastic for....maybe....... 5 minutes, and spent the rest of a couple of hours just running around like a kid on ......Christmas Day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JEM said:

LOL.   I actually got my wife to allow me to go "fishing" for a couple of hours early yesterday afternoon while she and the rest of her family were gathering at her parent's house........like on Christmas Day!  But actually, I was just going to run the boat for fun.  Fishing was just my excuse!  I knew she wouldn't understand running a new prop!  I chunked some plastic for....maybe....... 5 minutes, and spent the rest of a couple of hours just running around like a kid on ......Christmas Day!

I had to do all my testing undercover. I would put 3-4 props in the truck and go run the boat because I wanted to "make sure I kept good gas in it" (never an issue in our other Pathfinder :D) She finally caught me when a Merc Racing prop box showed up at my door.....confused because it wasn't an Amazon box. She never brought it up again when I drew that parallel.

JEM and I have been messaging; if you run this prop, I recommend the Solas, Rubex hub kit because it doesn't "clunk" going into gear. I do not recall the part number, but it is on their website.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BradM said:

She finally caught me when a Merc Racing prop showed up at my door

Hahaha!  My wife has the Prop-Radar dialed-in pretty well now too!  She just doesn't understand the importance.  Go figure, lol!  Hey, I'm willin' to understand the importance of all those pairs of shoes!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JEM said:

Not many people get the same enjoyment out of just driving the boat like some of us do. There is not much better, especially when everything is working perfect. Sounds like a great time!

• Like 3

I was at my parent's for Christmas and just thinking how my dad does his "prop" work, not with props but other things, and trust me I was taking close notes.  My parents have been married 45+ years and when I was younger I learn things like car, boats tools, ect. from my dad.  While I still am learning those things from him I am learning more how to get things through the door unnoticed and if noticed how to play it cool like nothing happened.

I will not give away all his secrets but here is an example of how he worked it over the holiday.  My dad has been looking for a new carry pistol and as most of you know there is no returning them once they leave the store.  He had it narrowed down to a couple but could not make up his mind on which one.  So the thinker he is he buys a couple and gives the other as a gift on Christmas!  So now he gets a new toy,gives one as a gift, and all under the radar.

• Like 1

Replaced the plugs, fuel filter, lower unit oil, and impeller on my engine yesterday.  First time I have done it with this engine.  Thankfully all the bolts were well greased and it was any easy job.   Only issue was that the old impeller was frozen to the shaft and it had to be cut off.  Still not too bad a job.  Hopefully be hanging it back on the boat in a few months.   Heres to a better 2019!

• Like 2

Since my RF18 is a 2003 I decided to re harness the entire boat due too some green gremlins making an appearance.  Well this is the long and short of it.  Since I was pulling the harness out I thought I might as well change steering hoses, shift cables, and of course upgrade the GPS/FF so a new transducer cable. If anyone wants to under take this process I bought the harness from EZACDC and it comes with a Blueseas fuse panel and separate ground buss already installed.  As near as I can figure the only thing original on my boat is the fiberglass! 

• Like 1